"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Tomato filled with egg TNT

I make these on Sunday when we don't go out for Breakfast. I like to serve them with brown sugar and Dijon coated thick baked bacon I use 8 tomatoes which I hollow out dust with salt and pepper fresh chopped parsley and any other seasonings you like now bake for 5min at 400.in a uncovered buttered baking dish. remove dish from oven and add an egg.to each tomato dot with butter sprinkle with basil keaves return to oven for 15 min, Sprinkle with parmesan and bake for 10 min more,
enjoy
kadesma

Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Senior Cook

that sounds yummy! i like baking eggs in a ramekin with cheese and potatoes and bacon, but yours sounds delish...i will try it this weekend!!!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky77 View Post
that sounds yummy! i like baking eggs in a ramekin with cheese and potatoes and bacon, but yours sounds delish...i will try it this weekend!!!
Great hope you like them
kadesma
Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Head Chef

mmm I don't think I've ever met an egg I didn't like. My little brain is already spinning with ideas. I've baked eggs in crusty little sourdough roles before but never in a tomato. This sounds delish!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Head Chef

I've never baked a cracked open egg in the oven. My mind is spinning, too.

Kades, maybe I'm reading it wrong...
25 minutes total at 400 degrees following introduction of an egg. Seems like a long time, but worth trying for a "hard-baked egg with cheese topping."
Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Head Chef

Here's the recipe I used to bake them in little bread bowls. The temp was a bit lower but the time for both is about the same. The eggs were done perfectly with creamy yolks and firm whites.

Baked Eggs in Bread Bowls
Adapted from Noble Pig, who was inspired by All You

crusty dinner rolls, as many as you want
large eggs – one for each roll
chopped fresh basil, parsley, chives, tarragon – anything you like
cream
salt and pepper
grated Parmesan cheese or gruyère , or anything sharp (old cheddar, Gouda, Asiago…)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Slice the top off of each roll and remove the bread inside, leaving just the crusty shell (don’t make it too thin-leave some bread in there for insurance against leaking). Place them on a baking sheet and crack an egg into each roll.

Top each egg with some herbs, salt and pepper and about a teaspoon of cream. Sprinkle with Parmesan or other cheese.

Bake for about 20 minutes, until eggs are set and bread is toasted. If you like, brush the tops of the buns with a little butter or oil and add them to the sheet about halfway through, to toast them as well.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Here's the recipe I used to bake them in little bread bowls. The temp was a bit lower but the time for both is about the same. The eggs were done perfectly with creamy yolks and firm whites.

Baked Eggs in Bread Bowls
Adapted from Noble Pig, who was inspired by All You

crusty dinner rolls, as many as you want
large eggs – one for each roll
chopped fresh basil, parsley, chives, tarragon – anything you like
cream
salt and pepper
grated Parmesan cheese or gruyère , or anything sharp (old cheddar, Gouda, Asiago…)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Slice the top off of each roll and remove the bread inside, leaving just the crusty shell (don’t make it too thin-leave some bread in there for insurance against leaking). Place them on a baking sheet and crack an egg into each roll.

Top each egg with some herbs, salt and pepper and about a teaspoon of cream. Sprinkle with Parmesan or other cheese.

Bake for about 20 minutes, until eggs are set and bread is toasted. If you like, brush the tops of the buns with a little butter or oil and add them to the sheet about halfway through, to toast them as well.
Thanks for sharing this look great. I'm a bog bread lover and think this would be great. Will be making someday next week after I come home from diaylisis.
kades
Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I make these on Sunday when we don't go out for Breakfast. I like to serve them with brown sugar and Dijon coated thick baked bacon I use 8 tomatoes which I hollow out dust with salt and pepper fresh chopped parsley and any other seasonings you like now bake for 5min at 400.in a uncovered buttered baking dish. remove dish from oven and add an egg.to each tomato dot with butter sprinkle with basil keaves return to oven for 15 min, Sprinkle with parmesan and bake for 10 min more,
enjoy
kadesma
Wow, Kades. You sure do fancy! That sounds soooo nice.

What do you do with the tomato "guts"?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
I've never baked a cracked open egg in the oven. My mind is spinning, too.

Kades, maybe I'm reading it wrong...
25 minutes total at 400 degrees following introduction of an egg. Seems like a long time, but worth trying for a "hard-baked egg with cheese topping."
You can lessen the temp or time on this one, it deprnds on how you like your eggs, and you need to watch the cheese to make sure it melts on top. i think any cheese you really like and that melts easily will be great. Let me know how it turns out for you.
kades
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

[QUOTE=kadesma;977823]Thanks for sharing this look great. I'm a big bread lover and think this would be great. Will be making someday next week after I come home from diaylisis.kades

Tags
egg, tomato