Trying to find white cheddar cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My apologies, I've lived in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Oregon and have never seen anything other than sharp (or aged) white cheddar. Mild or fresher white is typically called Farmer's Cheese and is a soft cheese, much like Colby or a very mild cheddar. I'm glad I learn something every day!
i use farmers cheese for my cheese and potato blintz. and it tastes and looks like a mild, wet cottage cheese (very soft creamy curd).

You can substitute "regular" cheddar for white. While there is considerable difference between various cheddars, the only difference between yellow and white is food coloring, usually annatto or paprika oil, which is added to the cheese to give it the darker, orange color with which most Americans are familiar.

For more information, check Wikipedia:
i also go to a cracker barrel restaurant but i don't think they sell cheese.

they sell cast iron cookware, old time candies and other old time counrty store stuff along with counrty ham and bacon but no cheese. LOL

Cabot's Vermont Cheddar is white. Pretty much, all New York and Vermont cheddars are white, because they aren't colored yellow. and you can get them in varying degrees of sharpness, depending upon your taste preference. :)
Thank you everyone, And Scotch, Different cheese play different roles in your dishes, We made this mac & cheesxe from AOL recipe data base and it called for mild white chedder, But we had mild chedder. Needless to say that the Mac & cheese tasted gritty for some reason.

By the way MSMOfet, That looks like our cracker barrol in Mi.

they all look alike thats why i love them!! i spend way to much money in the counrty store!! :LOL: i don't think i have ever seen cheese for take home sale though. i would love one of the quilts, a rocker and one of those long benches they sell. but all i bring home lately is leftovers and maybe some counrty ham or bacon :LOL:

You can substitute "regular" cheddar for white. While there is considerable difference between various cheddars, the only difference between yellow and white is food coloring, usually annatto or paprika oil, which is added to the cheese to give it the darker, orange color with which most Americans are familiar.

For more information, check Wikipedia:

Thank you everyone, And Scotch, Different cheese play different roles in your dishes, We made this mac & cheesxe from AOL recipe data base and it called for mild white chedder, But we had mild chedder. Needless to say that the Mac & cheese tasted gritty for some reason.

The food coloring in the cheese undoubtedly did not cause the grittiness in your mac and cheese. It may have just been gritty cheese, which happens with both white and yellow cheddar, although more often with the longer-aged, sharper varieties.

The food coloring in the cheese undoubtedly did not cause the grittiness in your mac and cheese. It may have just been gritty cheese, which happens with both white and yellow cheddar, although more often with the longer-aged, sharper varieties.
Thank you very much Scotch, Also would the grittiness be caused by salted butter? Instead of unsalted butter?

No, I don't think so. The salt in salted butter -- which is what most people eat -- is completely dissolved and should be undetectable.

I know what you mean -- I've had that happen. However, Sargento cheese is usually pretty reliable. Could it have been old?

Chile Chef, can you post a link to your recipe? We may be able to help find your grittiness if we saw everything you put into your dish and how it was done.

The only way the cheese would have been gritty would have been if it was hard and crusty in the bag. Even the most aged / sharpest cheeses which will crumble a bit from the block melt smoothly.

I get mine at Wal-Mart...they carry Cabot's white cheddar cheese

Cabot Cheese / Pressroom / Top Ten Facts

it comes in a black wrapper in two pound blocks.
I've bought this at Walmart near milwaukee WI too, it's excellent, very sharp, love it. <~$8/2 lbs
I Love the grittyness of the aged sharp cheddars, mostly on crackers and for snacking.
I've paid as much as $10/lb for a good 8-10 year aged sharp cheddar in WI. Sometimes, 'I'm worth it!'. ~Bliss

Check these threads regarding what causes cheese to turn gritty in sauces:

Community Forums - Gritty fondue cheese sauce seeks creamy resolution

Why are my cream and cheese sauces gritty? - Yahoo! Answers

gritty cheese in The AnswerBank: Food & Drink

I can't vouch that any of it is correct, but the "too much heat" theory seems to make sense.

Comments?
I can't believe you 'cheat' on us here at DC with reading a different site! ;)
Actually, the salty grittiness from an aged sharp cheddar is actually gritty between your teeth (both when cold and warm, though not cooked), whereas, a 'graininess' you get from too much salt (even from just the cheese) you might get in a cheese sauce, is not gritty, but, lacks the smoothness--more of a curdling effect with too much salt in the sauce. YEs? No?

Back
Top Bottom