Trying to find white cheddar cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
I know this maybe a weird question but I'm making mac & cheese and the recipe calls for White cheddar cheese, and Meijers don't have it neither does Wallmarts.

Cheers

Chile Chef!

Cracker Barrel Cheese - Cheddar Natural Extra Sharp-White

10.00 oz

i find it at my Shop-Rite store.

White cheddar is often easy to miss since it is typically packaged in a black or red wrapper / wax. Friends of ours in Chicago find it at their local Dominix.

You can substitute "regular" cheddar for white. While there is considerable difference between various cheddars, the only difference between yellow and white is food coloring, usually annatto or paprika oil, which is added to the cheese to give it the darker, orange color with which most Americans are familiar.

For more information, check Wikipedia: Cheddar cheese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you Msmofet, But we also have a restaurant / store that sells the cheese as well, as soon as you ladies mentioned it I remembered that!
i also go to a cracker barrel restaurant but i don't think they sell cheese.

cracker_barrel.jpg

they sell cast iron cookware, old time candies and other old time counrty store stuff along with counrty ham and bacon but no cheese. LOL

I know this maybe a weird question but I'm making mac & cheese and the recipe calls for White cheddar cheese, and Meijers don't have it neither does Wallmarts.

Cheers

Chile Chef!

Cabot's Vermont Cheddar is white. Pretty much, all New York and Vermont cheddars are white, because they aren't colored yellow. and you can get them in varying degrees of sharpness, depending upon your taste preference. :)

You can substitute "regular" cheddar for white. While there is considerable difference between various cheddars, the only difference between yellow and white is food coloring ...

Actually, white cheddar tends to be a sharp, aged cheddar which can not be said for most yellow cheddar unless it is labeled as such. If you do substitute one for the other, be sure you find a sharp (or extra sharp if you use Kraft) yellow cheddar as it will taste closer to what the original recipe intended.

Another label on more flavorful yellow cheddars is "aged". I live in "America's Dairyland" (not quite in Wisconsin but only a few miles away) and often take a ride and hit small, local cheese shops. I can buy cheddar aged a year, two or three, five, etc, and they are more flavorful and sharp.

Both white and yellow cheddar come in mild, medium, sharp, extra sharp, and with various amounts of age (which I believe directly relates to sharpness). Americans generally favor the yellow stuff, so the white tends to be less common and often of higher quality since mostly cheese connoisseurs buy it.

Both white and yellow cheddar come in mild, medium, sharp, extra sharp, and with various amounts of age (which I believe directly relates to sharpness). Americans generally favor the yellow stuff, so the white tends to be less common and often of higher quality since mostly cheese connoisseurs buy it.

My apologies, I've lived in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Oregon and have never seen anything other than sharp (or aged) white cheddar. Mild or fresher white is typically called Farmer's Cheese and is a soft cheese, much like Colby or a very mild cheddar. I'm glad I learn something every day!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom