"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #61
Master Chef

I grew up with cottage cheese in lasagna (never lived anywhere that ricotta was readily available, period, and if it was, probably more expensive than my parents could afford). My husband did as well. Since lasagna is really a comfort food, if I'm just baking it for us, I still use cottage cheese (use ricotta if it is for company). It seems to me, though, having had paneer, that it probably is closer to ricotta than our cottage cheese is. Mexican grocery stores (and here in Wal-Mart) carry a type of queso fresca that I think would be good as well (I know, doesn't help you in India!).

Old 08-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #62
Executive Chef

Skittles: Home Made Ricotta with Pasteurized Milk

Buon Giorno Skittles,

How are you today ?

To kick off with, back in January when I first joined D.C., I had posted my Grandmom Margherite´s Home Made Ricotta Salata which one can prepare with either Raw or Pasterized Cow Milk or Goat´s Milk or Ewe Milk.

It is truly divine ... Give it a try ... Believe me, it is better than any packaged Ricotta that is imported to the USA and SO SO SIMPLE ...

Let me know if you do a search in the CHEESE SECTION that you can locate it.

Kindest regards,
Ciao, Margi.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #63
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
Those recipes make a decent substitute for ricotta. I just checked - ricotta can be made from the whey of other cheeses too.

Ricotta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Huh, that's interesting- so the home made substitute must be more like cottage cheese. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #64
Executive Chef

Skittles,

I am Italian, and I truly see very little comparison with Ricotta & small curd cottage cheese, at least the one I had once thousands of aeons ago in Manhattan ... Ricotta´s texture is curdless firstly; and the texture is like Yesso ( gesso ), stucco plaster, coarse and thick yet spreadable and creamy.

Have u see the simple recipe in Cheeses by me ?

Kind regards.
Margi.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #65
Master Chef

Here is a picture of my lasagna, and (it's kind of hard to see) if you look carefully you cannot really see the cheese layer, it is because I thoroughly mixed it with the vegies/mushrooms. One would never know the difference between the ricotta or cottage, or even farmers cheese that I often use.
Hm, now lets see if i can get a pick added here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0315[1].jpg
Views:	101
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	14798  
Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Here is a picture of my lasagna, and (it's kind of hard to see) if you look carefully you cannot really see the cheese layer, it is because I thoroughly mixed it with the vegies/mushrooms. One would never know the difference between the ricotta or cottage, or even farmers cheese that I often use.
Hm, now lets see if i can get a pick added here.
Your picture makes me hungry for lasagna! It looks great-no matter which cheese you are using. Thanks for posting your picture.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper

Your picture makes me hungry for lasagna! It looks great-no matter which cheese you are using. Thanks for posting your picture.
+1!

Last lasagna I made I used cottage cheese mixed with egg as well, it all melted up and there were no discernable curd-like chunks. Tasted great.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #68
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Skittles,

I am Italian, and I truly see very little comparison with Ricotta & small curd cottage cheese ... Kind regards.
Margi.

Margi, don't forget that American dairy is totally different than Italian, and not only that it is different from manufacturer to manufacturer with in the country. What I buy as Ricotta is nothing even close to a real Ricotta. It is much closer to a cottage cheese, small curd, but much liquidier (is it a word?). And farmers cheese I buy is much closer to Ricotta you describe, but it is still not the same because it is much dryer and it is not available everywhere and some stores do not carry any kind of farmers cheese and do not even know what it is when asked. It really is hard to compare what is going on here.

P.S. Add to it that I prefer russian kinds of cheeses and the picture gets even wors. Some kindsof cheese or cheese spread is simply not available in the states, no matter what the name.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #69
Master Chef

Oh, btw, we have a thread here asking abot what we had for breakfast, this was my breakfast today, yum, but not spicy enough.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #70
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Oh, btw, we have a thread here asking abot what we had for breakfast, this was my breakfast today, yum, but not spicy enough.
Did you heat it, or eat it cold???

Tags
None