"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-04-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Use Cottage cheese instead ricotta?

Can I use Cottage cheese instead of ricotta? Its not easily available here. I'm not looking at any specific recipe when I ask this. Just curious.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:11 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I will say no for two reasons:

1. Taste
2. Texture

Ricotta and normal processed cottage cheese are different in both aspects.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 AM   #3
Senior Cook

As I mentioned earlier I'm not looking at any specific recipe right now. Just wanted to know..
How is the the taste and texture of ricotta different form cottage cheese? I have never had it.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:20 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaheen
As I mentioned earlier I'm not looking at any specific recipe right now. Just wanted to know..
How is the the taste and texture of ricotta different form cottage cheese? I have never had it.
American cottage cheese is usually more watery and more mild in flavor than traditional ricotta. A good example is lasagna. If you try to substitute cottage cheese for ricotta on an equal basis the lasagna will probably be runny and it won't taste as good.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:26 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Looks like the Indian Cottage Cheese (paneer) is quite different form its American counterpart.
Here is how it looks like
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2006, 02:35 AM   #6
Executive Chef

That looks similar to ricotta salata in texture.

The American version of cottage cheese is much different than the Indian version.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:11 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I don't know about ALL recipes, but I think cottage cheese could certainly be used instead of ricotta in some recipes. I'd try it and see.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:30 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
American cottage cheese is usually more watery and more mild in flavor than traditional ricotta. A good example is lasagna. If you try to substitute cottage cheese for ricotta on an equal basis the lasagna will probably be runny and it won't taste as good.
It depends if the ricotta is drained or not. Some undrained ricotta is runnier than a lot of cottage cheeses, but you are right they are definitely more 'watery' in flavour.

I do feel that you can use cottage cheese instead of ricotta but I wouldn't even call it a substitute, the dish would be completely different. I have used it when I didn't have any ricotta and the inspiration to cook a dish with ricotta has come to late in the day to go pick some up (dislike supermarket stuff, I buy straight from an Italian manufacturer).
Old 05-04-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I used to substitute cottage cheese for ricotta cheese 100% of the time in lasagna type recipes and was quite pleased with the results. I am also a big advocate of using what ingredients are available to you. If ricotta cheese is not easily available to you, by all means, try cottage cheese. My circumstances appear to different from some posters to this forum. I try to get by with local ingredients, which means I can not make authentic foreign recipes for the most part. But life is full of compromises. I do purchase some nonnative foods in bulk, such as; parmesan cheese in 5 pound bags and xv olive oil in gallon tins. I can not exclude those ingredients from my cooking just because they are not local foods, but I try to concentrate on native foods in my cooking.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #10
Contest Winner

Paneer isnt as creamy as ricotta but could be used as a substitute in many dishes. You could also try labneh (fresh yogurt cheese) or goat cheese. It really depends on the recipe though and what texture/taste you are wanting.

American curd cottage cheese is good in a lot of dishes but wouldnt produce the same texture and taste as ricotta in recipes. But again, it all depends on what recipe you are using. I like American cottage cheese in lasagna.

Tags
None