Using Soured Skim Milk to Replace Buttermilk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
My dinner tonight calls for 1 c of buttermilk (in a cornbread crust) but I have no buttermilk on hand. Does the lemon juice trick work with skim milk?

You'd better refresh my memory, if you don't mind! I've looked in a couple of my cook books and they both give different rations.

That's one of the ones I have. The other said 1 1/2 Tbsp for every cup. I think I'll stick with yours. You let it sit for a few minutes then, too, right?

I've been known to use 2 TBS per cup of lime juice. It's not going to hurt anything to use more - and it works pretty fast too! :chef:

Isnt buttermilk from the store fat free?

I never use it but know someone who (bizarrely) drinks the stuff because she thinks it tastes better than skim milk.

kitchenelf said:
I've been known to use 2 TBS per cup of lime juice. It's not going to hurt anything to use more - and it works pretty fast too! :chef:

Hey Elfie, isn't lime juice pretty sour already? *heeheehee*

Why no Alix, the limes we grow HERE in North Carolina are so sweet you wouldn't believe it!!!!! It's a real sugar rush! :-p

Jenny - buttermilk is fat free - I've never seen it any other way. I just don't understand drinking it at all = it is some nasty stuff. My Dad always broke up cornbread and put buttermilk over it in a bowl. Around here if you are sitting at the lunch counter of this one place, and other places too - if you order milk they will ask if you mean "sweet" milk as so many people drink buttermilk.

It's good for cooking/recipes but I have never developed a taste for it just plain.

Last edited:
Elf,
I love buttermilk but you will never see me drink milk...never liked it. Years ago the buttermilk was soooooo good. It had real pieces of butter in it.
Dove

I don't know if it's a southern thing or not, but my daddy used to pour a big, tall glass of buttermilk at night and crush up a bunch of saltine crackers in it. He enjoyed it as if it were a heavenly treat. Ugh! I loved my daddy, but...buttermilk and saltines before bed. No can do. Give me a break!!!

Buttermilk is what's left over from churning cream to make butter. As all the fat in the cream becomes butter, what's left is fat free.

Back
Top Bottom