"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #21
Master Chef

As an addendum - it's wonderful that you have the time to make all your own ketchup, mustard, mayo, salad dressings, etc., etc., etc. - but do keep in mind that not everyone has that kind of time or inclination. Most of us are also not privileged to personally know the chickens & cattle our food comes from. I don't think that necessarily makes you better fed or better informed than anyone here.

I also don't think that reduces anyone's "level of competence" here, nor does it mean any of us are "struggling to put a meal on the table". I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

Perhaps I'm confused as to what you were trying to accomplish here?

Old 05-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
"Somewhere is my memory bank, I recall? government cheese, perhaps in my grandma's day. If I remember, it was real cheese that came in wooden boxes."
I must be from a time warp. I'm only 33, and I remember vividly my grandmother using gov't cheese and gov't butter (often rancid). I even remember about 10 years later hearing the phrase "gov't sponge bolonga" used at BBQ's (real BBQ, smoked meats).

Every now and then, PeppA will somehow manage to secure some USDA issue canned chicken, canned pork, canned salmon, "farina" (think Cream of Wheat), and dehydrated milk. This stuff all comes in a black and white label, with the phrase "Not for resale. Only to be used for Native American and Non-Profit Food distribution." I can tell you from experience that the salmon isn't worth the can. The chicken and pork isn't that bad, but it does need jazzing up. I've sucessfully used the chicken for the Chicken Helper Cheesey Mexican boxed meal. The pork I've used for Pork Posole. I haven't used the Farina yet, but I happen to like Cream of Wheat, and I always doctor the stuff up, so I may start using it. The dry milk powder I have used, and while it produces milk that has little lumps of unincorporated mix in it, it is perfectly usable.

I personally don't care for Velveeta. I don't like the taste. I can understand the desire to use something that melts great, and the fact that you don't have to refrigerate it until it's opened.

I also don't use that many commercially-prepared products. Granted, yes, I do use commercial condiments, and my pantry does have a lot of conveince foods in it, but I personally don't normally use them.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #23
Master Chef

I basolutely adore a great Havarti, or Fontina, or Cheddar. But they have their own place in my cullinary world, as does Velveeta. Velveeta is made from real cheese. It is in fact, a combination of cheeses melted, and blended with milk. It's a bit saltier than is unprocessed cheese, and has some preservatives added to help plolong its freshness. It is also wrapped airtight and does require refridgeration one opened. I love great cheese, but that doesn't mean I shy away from a great cheese product, which I think Velveeta is. I like its flavor, and melting qualities, but only for some things. I like other cheeses for other things. In fact, in one particular instance, when I didn't have any, I made my own version with the cheeses I had on hand (cheddar, swiss, and jack I believe, with a bit of added salt and milk). It was just what I needed for what I was making.

I wouldn't think of topping apple pie with anything other than a good cheddar. But I certainly wouldn't top it with a good bleau cheese. The flavors aren't complimentary.

Like most of us here, I won't bash someone else's idea of what's good. I love liverwurst, and also potted meat sandwiches.. My wife hates them. Does that make me right and her wrong? No it doesn't. Some of the foods she loves are barely edible to me, such as mint. If the mint is strong enough, it can make me physically ill. So, I'm not going to eat a Peppermint Pattie anytime soon. But she can enjoy them all day long if she wants to (no kissing afterwords though). Again, neither of us is wrong, simply different.

So, my advise is to open your mind to the fact that we are all different, and as is often said, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 05-22-2006, 06:10 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Yikes, beth, you have opened up a can o' worms with your original post.

I am happy for you that you have the leisure, knowledge, and means to prepare or purchase organic foods to your liking, but you must realize that not everyone is in the same circumstances - or even wants to be there.

Doesn't make you right or them wrong, or vice versa. But I detect a whiff of condescension in your views that I do not agree with.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #25
Master Chef

Thank you Mudbug - very well said.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:21 PM   #26
Executive Chef

well I love this thread so thanks for opening it and for all the responses!
Yes I do think "America" eats poorly. More fresh and more variety would help us all. I also think way too many of us eat at fast food and "family" (food service) restaurants. I hear the "cost factor" but for the cost of a supersize fast food meal for one, I can feed a group of four hungry teenagers, with fresh or dried ingredients...pasta, beans, rice, collards or kale, tomatos, simple dried herbs; etc, and when the kids have a hand in making it, they eat it!
If I could spend all day in the home kitchen I would...I love it. But, I owe I owe, so it's off to work I go. Gotta pay for all those copper pots and pans I have. So, nough said by me right now...carry on!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
... Peppermint Pattie ... But she can enjoy them all day long if she wants to (no kissing afterwords though).
Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Wow. You're a tough cookie, GW.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #28
Master Chef

Beth, there are a lot of intelligent, educated people here who really do know food...even those few of us who like Velveeta.

But consider this.

I was exposed to fine foods at an early age. My grandfather was quite a connaisseur of food and life in general, and grandma was an excellent cook and a great hostess. I grew up being used to the good china and crystal, and knowing which fork to use first. She and my mother always prepared "balanced meals".
I've also been to many fine restaurants all over the USA.

But some of the best meals I've ever eaten came from people with little or no education. Most of them have never been anyplace "away".
Few of them have ever used a cookbook or a recipe, unless it's a "rule" for cake or cookies. Some couldn't even read past 5th grade level. They learned to cook the way their mothers and grandmothers did.
They cook from experience and with the heart, using what they have on hand.
I learned a lot from my grandma, but I have learned a lot from them, too.

I guess the moral of my story is...don't look down your nose at anyone. You never know what you might learn.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:50 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
I must be from a time warp. I'm only 33, and I remember vividly my grandmother using gov't cheese and gov't butter (often rancid). I even remember about 10 years later hearing the phrase "gov't sponge bolonga" used at BBQ's (real BBQ, smoked meats).
Allen, that was me, 'bout the memory of goverment cheese...no problem though. We didn't have a lot of money growing up, so I'm thankful I'm able to buy some of the things I enjoy when I can. For me, it's a matter of taste... so I wouldn't advocate boycotting a particular food, simply because it was not 'my cup of tea.' That's my story, and I'm sticking to it
Old 05-22-2006, 08:01 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I love all the good cheeses but I also like Velveeta in some things it does make a good regular mac & cheese or grilled cheese.As I said before if I was on a deserted island and all there was for cheese was Velveeta I would be very to have it. And kids love it.

Tags
None