Velveeta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We like mac and velveeta cheese with cubed spam. O so good and so creamy.Also enjoy a velveeta and peanut butter sammie too. But thats us. Each to his own.

Ishbel said:
And does anyone else remember the Monty Python 'Spam' sketch? :-p :ROFLMAO:

We have Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans and Spam. Oh, but we're out of baked beans....:LOL:

Add me to the list of Spam lovers - lol!!! Husband, who doesn't eat red meat, even likes the Turkey Spam!! And as far as Monty Python goes, my mom sent me a can (that I haven't used yet) of "Honey-Roasted Spam", that is in a "limited edition can" commemorating the "Monty Python & the Holy Grail" play on Broadway.

Guess once I use the meat I'll be rinsing that can out & keeping it as a pencil holder or something - lol!!!

By the way, just a note about Spam and Velveeta...both come in a "Lite" version with a lot less salt and fat. I prefer them to the original.

We were so close, so close to seeing this thread die a natural death... then along came Spam.

Dove said:
I haven't had Velveta in a very long time but I do remember it was salty...and to add to all this

I like Spam......LOL but thats another can of worms to open.
Dove

Marge, I wanna see you in my office.

Last edited:
i wanna know who eats those pale little sausages in the goo in a can. i think they're called vienna sausages. they look like dog treats (ok, go ahead and say it. only american dogs would eat them...)

buckytom said:
i wanna know who eats those pale little sausages in the goo in a can. i think they're called vienna sausages. they look like dog treats (ok, go ahead and say it. only american dogs would eat them...)

Jimmy Dean - his younger years! (Or maybe James - a rebel without a cause.)

Last edited:
Velveeta is to cheese what a Mc Donald's hamburger is to a steak dinner.

A travesty IMHO.

Both sell well, but I'm convinced that this is not a factor in proving their quality.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Put us in the pro-Spam column, although we do prefer the Spam-Lite (totta watch the salt, rats).

Particularly fried and then served with diced kimchee on the side.

Or maybe fried for breakfast.

To us they are comfort foods.

To us cooking is about having fun, we only have two mouths to feed so that can be limiting, but we do our best.

Sometimes that means making down home food.

At others, it means putting on the dog and really going all out.

And whether it is a chili dog casserole (great for a January Sunday breakfast), or meal with very expensive ingredients, we are there to cook, eat and have fun.

Now I have to close this because the boiled raw peanuts are ready.

First we could get this year.

Enjoy y'all and God bless.

My girls love the spam, spam, spam, spam, spam...song on monty python! And Bethzaring, I really couldn't agree with you more. If I could afford it with my five folks, I would only buy organic everything and never buy anything processed. I have fun in my life, for sure, but eating chemicalled up food (yep, I made that word up!) isn't my idea of fun. I know obesity is pushing an epidemic here in the states. I know that UK recognizes the problems all this processed food is having on our kids and has implemented changes to their school lunches to begin to address some of them. I think knowing how bad this stuff is isn't enough to make us stop buying it cuz most of us just can't afford the alternative. The jist of it is, we need education. We need healthy tasty alternatives. We need to quit thinking of food as 'convenience' and instead think about it's healthful ( or lack thereof) benefits. Food from the very beginning was meant to feed our bodies w/energy and nutrients that replenish what we have used up. Now we look at food as to how it makes us feel instead of how it is being used by our bodies. Me included. This is something that weighs on me every day. Everytime I feed my kids frozen chicken fingers and fries, I know I am doing my kids a disservice. I know I am just being lazy and not putting the thought and effort into the most important things in my life. Thanks for reminding me about what is really important, encouraging me to get back to basics and plan more carefully and thoughtfully!

Beth, I'm really glad you started this thread. I have such a hard time using many (perhaps most) recipes from here because there is almost invariably some processed food in there and like you, we just don't do chemically processed foods. Heck, most everything is cooked from scratch here, anyway. I don't know my cows or chickens, but I know they are all organic. (Did you all know that scientists have found a link between growth hormones in meat and early puberty in girls!!! Scary stuff!!)

Foods are processed two main ways - with temperature (which kills off some beneficial enzymes that help your pancreas do it's job... people have died from chronic pancreatitis cause by eating too much processed foods) and with chemicals. Things like ketchup get the heat treatment. Velveeta gets the chemical treatment. We don't eat anything chemically preserved or processed. I mean, one of the ingredients in Velveeta is:

Sodium Phosphate :ohmy: Sodium phosphate is found in toilet bowl cleaners, dishwashing detergents and is a fertilizer!! Ick... not putting that stuff in me. To each his own, yes, and the wonderful thing about forums and such is a respectful exchange of information and opinions. I for one am glad for this thread. If it helps one person reform their evil, processed food ways... :ROFLMAO: Kidding!!

I am a little gun shy about responding on this forum. I had resolved to never again make a posting. What bothered me the most was the accusation of being condescending. I have thought long about those charges. Nothing could be further from the truth. So I am trying to determine how I came across as condescending and as looking down my nose at others. I first looked at my content. If that was what was condescending, then I have no apology. Then I looked at my delivery. I used to teach nutrition education, teachers are sometimes not used to “sugar coating” their delivery. Do you stand up in a class room, and say “How dare you try to tell me what to do, buy”? I expected posters to say, I respectfully disagree with you and this is my take…… I also frequently am engaged in lively conversations with friends regarding issues much more controversial than Velveeta!! So I am used to expressing my opinion with folks who are not threatened by my views or my delivery. If I have offended some posters with my delivery, then I do apologize for that.

Even though I practice no religion, I come from a strong background of Quakers, or Friends, and that has influenced how I look at people. Quakers profoundly believe in TOLERANCE, education, pacifism, the inner light in people, respect for ALL people, regardless of color or any orientation they may have, helping the underdog, if you will. My ancestors helped slaves to escape on the Underground Railroad ( I am Caucasian, white) , my great great grandfather was a Quaker Indian Agent for 38 years, which was not easy considering his sympathies lay with the Indians and not with the fed. Govt., which was his employer. The point I am trying to make is that I do not look down on any one. I am very open minded, always looking to see what I can learn from others. To be honest, I was shocked at the anger that was directed toward me because I am not guilty of what I was accused. But, I am not sure that I understand the reason I was accused of being condescending.

And I cautiously approach this next paragraph. Before the negative response I read on this Velveeta thread, I was planning my next thread and put a nugget of its content in this thread. The nugget was the cost of convenience foods and I was not talking about the money cost. I detected a strong resistance to my “blasting” convenience foods. A couple of the more accepting responders actually touched on my concern, that of our health. I happen to believe that what we eat affects our health.

I had determined that this was not the forum for me, if Velveeta is considered semi controversial, and I am perceived as opening cans of worms. I like to open cans of worms, how else do we grow and learn?

Beth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom