"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
Half Baked

I LOVE pesto! I am going to try the pistachio trick.

I like filling big portabella caps with it and baking them.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
mollyanne, next time you make pesto, try unsalted pistachio nuts in place of the pine nuts. I think you'll love it. I got the idea from Alton Brown.
Thanks, Andy...i will. I've used walnuts before because they are cheaper and healthier but I'll bet the flavor of the pistachio nuts would be better.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
Head Chef

Grate it over salads and soups. Make Eggplant or Chicken Parmesan.

Use it in these delicious recipes:

ROASTED TOMATOES WITH GARLIC AND GORGONZOLA (AND/OR PARMIGIANO REGGIANO):
Hello 2009: Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic and Gorgonzola Je Mange la Ville

SPINACH STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Olive Oyl's Treat For Popeye Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms) Recipe - Food.com - 11644
Old 09-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Depending on the application, I sometimes like to shave it instead of grate it. A good parm reg will have those great crunchy crystals in in that you do not get to experience with grated cheese. I use an apple peeler and shave off little bits. Half make it into whatever application I am using them for and the other half take a detour into my mouth.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
Head Chef

You guys gave me some great!! ideas.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I love this cheese but an Italian chef told me to grate it and store in the freezer it is like having fresh every time you use some and of course you use just what you need. It does work as I have been doing this for quite a few years.

Regards

Lesley31
Old 11-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley31 View Post
I love this cheese but an Italian chef told me to grate it and store in the freezer it is like having fresh every time you use some and of course you use just what you need. It does work as I have been doing this for quite a few years.

Regards

Lesley31
I am so glad you posted this as I was just about to post asking can you freeze it. I always buy a wedge and I don't use it up soon enough and it turns too hard to grate. My mother used to pick out the wedge she wanted and have the deli counter grate it for her but it got used up fast in her house. I will definitely try this because I am planning to buy a wedge to use in pesto soon.

Can it be frozen before grating in small chunks and then grate them as you use them?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I grate (really grind) the whole wedge at once. I use my food processor with the chopping blade. I saw the Barefoot Contessa do this.

If you have a really good food processor just cut the cheese into cubes and let 'er rip, if you have a less powerful one, drop them one by one down the chute while the blade is spinning.

This makes quick work of grating cheese.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If you look, you can probably find good quality grated parmesan for cheaper than the wedge. I was a "grate it immediately before use" purist until I moved to an area where my regular grocery store was a mom and pop Italian supermarket. I tried some of the various plastic boxes of grated parmesan, romano, and mixed (cheese ends from their deli section) cheese. I figured if Italians were willing to buy it grated, I should give it a try at half the price. It was perfectly nice.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaylady View Post
I am so glad you posted this as I was just about to post asking can you freeze it. I always buy a wedge and I don't use it up soon enough and it turns too hard to grate. My mother used to pick out the wedge she wanted and have the deli counter grate it for her but it got used up fast in her house. I will definitely try this because I am planning to buy a wedge to use in pesto soon.

Can it be frozen before grating in small chunks and then grate them as you use them?
I have never tried to freeze in chunks, could be bulky in freezer. I grate all that I buy and store in a good freezer bag it can be stored as flat then as you want it. I have a Magimix food processor with a hard cheese grater attachment, works a treat.

Lesley

Tags
None