Wedge Parmigiano-Reggiano - How long will it last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Costco UK sell Kirkland signature Parm/Reg at £14 a kilo 2.2 lbs =$23, its is very very good.

i do all three methods, depending on what's needed with both parma regg, locatelli, or grana padano.

i grind in a food processor when i need a lot of volume, like when making meatballs.

i grate by hand over things like pasta dishes dressed with sugo or a ragu. i like to watch the little curls drop onto the hot pasta and curl a bit more from the heat.

finally, i shave it onto soups like escarole and white bean, or on salads. as gb mentioned, there's just a bit more texture and it hits your palate just a little differently that you don't get from grating/grinding.

If your parmesan has rinds that are too hard to grate, you need to get a Microplane. I can use rinds and all.

I have heard that some folks use rinds as part of soup stock. Never tried it. Sounds like it could be sticky and hard to clean up after.

I never thought about freezing the block--I find that mine gets moldy sometimes, but freezing would take care of that.

You can get it at the Costco in Long Island.

I bought my current wedge of PR at Costco but for a lot more than $10 a pound. I think it was closer to $18 a pound. I assume some of the difference has to do with different tariffs in EEC countries vs. the USA.

If your parmesan has rinds that are too hard to grate, you need to get a Microplane. I can use rinds and all.

I have heard that some folks use rinds as part of soup stock. Never tried it. Sounds like it could be sticky and hard to clean up after.

I never thought about freezing the block--I find that mine gets moldy sometimes, but freezing would take care of that.
aaaaaaaai save the rinds and put them into ministrone or veggie soups. They soften but stay together you will be suprised at the taste and floavor they give. Try it just once bet you will change your mind:)
kadesma

Yes... save those rinds. They are amazing in minestrone! Sometimes I chop them into little bits & everyone that gets a bit loves them. I grate mine via food processor when I'm making piles of pesto. And oh, my.. the pesto on portabellas sounds amazing! Parm-Reg goes to fast at my house to make it to the freezer, but good to know it can!

I bought my current wedge of PR at Costco but for a lot more than $10 a pound. I think it was closer to $18 a pound. I assume some of the difference has to do with different tariffs in EEC countries vs. the USA.

I got it for the lower price at Costco but they were having a "cheese demonstration day" or something where the company was there promoting that cheese which could be why.

I do scrape the mold off--not a bit worried about whitish mold on such a hard cheese. But I would just as soon not have to do that, so the next wedge goes in the freezer.

The dogs love the moldy cheese, so it does not go to waste. It is a little expensive for dog treats, however.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom