"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What cheese, if any, can be stored at room temp?

Does anyone know of any cheeses that will stay good at room temp? Say for as long as 2 days without refrigeration?

Am I just wishing for the impossible?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Sous Chef

IMO, I think you are...I can't think of any that could be safely stored at room temp.

Well, Velveeta, I guess can be stored out of refrigeration - at least until it's been opened, then I would chill it.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Cook

Almost any hard cheese will be fine--cheddars. Parmesan chunk will definitely keep. If you are talking about in an environment like your kitchen counter (and not backpacking where we have taken cheese for several days) you can keep it with a vinegar soaked towel around it. There used to be glass jars that had a grid that elevated the cheese and vinegar was put in the bottom. These were old store counter items to keep cheese in view.
Softer or semi-soft cheeses like Monterey Jack will probably be OK too. The worst that can happen to them is a little mold (but not in two days) and you just cut it off.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Head Chef

What Charleysaunt said. Cheese was invented a gajillion years ago as a way to keep milk before the days of refrigeration.

I have often taken cheese (swiss, cheddar, parmesan) on extended backpacking trips for a week or more.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
Senior Cook

There are many cheeses that you can store for a couple

of days at room temp if they are still in the original wrapper. I sent several types of cheese to a service man in Iraq. (it took 7 days to get there) If you don't have a particular piece of cheese you want to keep Hickory farms has 3 or 4 types and they will tell which ones will keep. Other cheese vendors should be able to tell you which ones don't need refrigeration for a few days. Just contact the company.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Cook

They don't need to be in the original wrapper. Vacuum sealed will, of course, keep better, but they will keep perfectly well "home wrapped".
Old 06-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
If you are rewrapping the cheese, do not use plastic, use aluminium foil. Plastic will make cheese sweat, which allows mold to grow more easily. Aluminium will let the cheese breathe, and it will keep much longer.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
If you are rewrapping the cheese, do not use plastic, use aluminium foil. Plastic will make cheese sweat, which allows mold to grow more easily. Aluminium will let the cheese breathe, and it will keep much longer.
The best method of storing cheese is loosely wrapped with wax paper. The plastic wrap does not make the cheese "sweat". What it does is it retains more moisture on and around the cheese and it restricts the flow of oxygen. This is what promotes the growth of bacteria and other molds.

Besides that, remember that the ideal holding temp. of cheese is at 55-60 degrees F, which is basically roughly the same temp. that most cheese are ripened at. Room temp. can be fine, as long as the ambient temp. does not go over 75 degrees F. At that point the oils and fats will start to sweat out of the cheese.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
The plastic wrap does not make the cheese "sweat". What it does is it retains more moisture on and around the cheese and it restricts the flow of oxygen. This is what promotes the growth of bacteria and other molds.
The accumulation or buildup of moisture on and/or around an inanimate object is referred to as sweating.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

also happens to animate objects. It's referred to as perspiration in gentler circles.

Tags
None