What is sweet milk as opposed to sour milk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
Here's a cookie recipe I want to make and I'm confused by the milk it requires. Is sweet milk regular milk and is sour milk buttermilk? Which do you think I'd be better off using?

1 egg
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
2 (1 oz.) squares chocolate, melted
1 2/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 c. sweet or sour milk
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped

Here's a cookie recipe I want to make and I'm confused by the milk it requires. Is sweet milk regular milk and is sour milk buttermilk? Which do you think I'd be better off using?

1 egg
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
2 (1 oz.) squares chocolate, melted
1 2/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 c. sweet or sour milk
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
I read this as -
Sweet milk is regular fresh whole milk
Sour milk to me usually means that you place 1 TBSP. lemon juice or white vinegar in a 1 cup liquid measuring cup then fill it to the 1 cup mark with milk (for this recipe half the amounts of acid to milk). Wait a bit and it will turn sour This is used to replace buttermilk when you want the acidic nature of the milk to react to your leavening. In this recipe the soda (baking soda).

I would use Buttermilk or sour milk. I think it is a better flavor and you get a fluffier/rise. Lately I replace the liquid in a baking recipe with equal amount of whey strained from homemade yogurt.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sour milk is a process that most dont do to day, in Sweden you can find sour milk, it is called fil, it is a bit like yogurt , just another bacteria that has reacted with milk and that makes the milk sour and much more runnier then yogurt.

Unlike the majority of people, I do not throw away milk after it goes sour. I use it for cooking and baking, both of which will kill any nasty bacteria in it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom