"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #41
Senior Cook

I wish I could understand the appeal of eating stinky foods. Is it slightly masochistic?.....like when we were kids and a tooth was coming loose, how we would wiggle it and almost enjoy the hurt......???

Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
I wish I could understand the appeal of eating stinky foods. Is it slightly masochistic?.....like when we were kids and a tooth was coming loose, how we would wiggle it and almost enjoy the hurt......???
We don't really eat stinky cheese because it's stinky. Those cheeses tend to get very flavourful without a sharp bite to them.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When my husband had his first breakfast in Denmark, I saw his face go funny. I asked what was the matter. He replied, "It's a vicious attack cheese! But, it's good."

Danes talk about tying their cheese down with a string, so it won't run away.
if it did make a run for it you certainly wouldn't need a bloodhound to follow the trail!!
couldn't find any at costco.no havarti or samsoe either! great stores but i don't think that they carry anything like the range they do in the states
the search goes on,guess i'll just have to follow my nose!
harry
Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #44
Wine Guy

Quote:
Stinky cheese is an acquired taste for sure, and overcoming the gag factor can be a problem the first time you try it. However, I think you'll find that once you get it past your nose and onto your palate, the flavor is nothing at all like the smell. Most stinky cheeses are actually quite mild tasting, but with a decadent richness. Nothing like what you'd expect.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #45
Master Chef

From what I understand, stinky cheeses derive much of their odor from the same bacteria that grows between your toe, hence the phrase - "Your feet smell like cheese."

I've tried stinky cheeses, and can tolerate them..They aren't my favorite though. Of course, great cheddar never smells like feet.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #46
Master Chef

I love aged cheddar, but can't give a brand because I go to small places in Wisconsin and get the oldest ones I can. Anyone who lives in our area (I live in NW IL, but I'm talking about SW WI) and I can name a couple of places (I'd have to look them up).
Old 07-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #47
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up Balderson's 2, 3, 5, and 6yr Cheddar

Hi. Although lately I've come to like President's Choice 5-yr and 8-yr cheddars, I can't buy them unless I'm lucky enough to be in Canada (once or twice a year) But Balderson's 5 and 6-yr I can usually buy through "Canadian Favourites (dot com)" for the 300g brick. I've been buying Vermont's Cabot's "Seriously Sharp Hunter's Brand" for years, but for nice clean sharpness and crunch (tiny pockets of crystallized protein, I suppose) I've had to head North to the land of the Maple Leaf. After having Balderson's 5yr and 6yr and President's Choice 2-yr, 5-yr and 8-yr Canadian Cheddar (PC brand is part of Loblaw's Inc. Brampton Ont. thru many outlets), sadly my old Cabot's standby pales in comparison, good as it may be. I'll try Carr Valley Cheese (Wisconsin) as soon as I receive my order.. (thanks to one of the 2009 bloggers on this site)
Cabot's does offer older (Hunter's brand is 18 months) versions, but I've only read of them in Costco. I don't understand the blank looks I get from local grocers when I inquire about really sharp cheddars. Kind of like asking a butcher about plumbing, it seems.
And yes, there are plenty of nice PEOPLE in Canada. I know only about 45 of them.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Gee, now I'll really have to give those stinky cheeses a try, just to see if I believe what you're saying about "they don't taste like they smell".....?

Hard to believe!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #49
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Gee, now I'll really have to give those stinky cheeses a try, just to see if I believe what you're saying about "they don't taste like they smell".....?

Hard to believe!
Hmmm, I've never considered sharp cheddar to be stinky, but then my dad loved Limburger for its taste and we thought he was crazy.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

So where did you meet these 45 Canadiens that you thought were nice? I have never met one that wasn't. And I am a very old lady from New England. We have lots of folks here from Canada. And until 9/11, it was considered a fun weekend to drive up to Maine and take the ferry to PEI. Which is part of Canada.

Tags
None