"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #51
Master Chef

I've recently tried the president's Choice 8 year cheddar, and the Maple Dale 7 year cheddar. They are both very good, but not as well balanced and the Balderson, IMHO. Still, they are better than anything I can get in Michigan's UP, unless I contact a particular freind in Marquette, who has a brother in Wisconsin that has a small cheddar business. his cheddar is some of the best I've had.

But really, is there any such thing as bad cheese (that stuff made in the Meddle East with maggots crawling through it doesn't count as cheese). I even love a good cottage cheese.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Some years I miss it. But I look for Cabot's Reserve. It goes fast in the stores. The supply is minimal. So creamy and just a delightful flavor.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #53
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I tried Cabots Artisan Three Year and it was really nice. I went back for more and it was gone (which is not surprising with a limited run like that).

The last one I had was Black Diamond 5 year. It was very sharp, and a little goes a long way.

There was a 4 year old (I think it was Seriously Sharp) that we tried. Took a bite and pitched the whole thing. Sticky and seriously nasty.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #54
Head Chef

The two best cheddars I have come across are Mimosa from France, and an Irish 6 year aged cheddar. I don't remember the name of the Irish.

Mimosa was a pricey cheese at $12/lb or so a couple of years back. Now often past the $30/lb mark I still see the Irish cheddar on occasion, and always purchase it.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

Nice People in Canada

@Addie, Executive Chef,
Well, Mostly in Ontario, but I had a few of the best weekends of my life in Montreal, Ste Adele and Rawdon, QC. A couple of years between Toronto and the Muskoka Lakes region have been the best ever. Plan to hit PEI and the Maritimes someday, not to forget BC. That's also in the plans and there's plenty of in-between.
I love to hit the stores in new places, see what people choose to live with.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Balderson 5 yr Balderson
St. Albert Extra Old Cheddar :-: ST-ALBERT CHEESE
Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

And if you've ever wondered why aged cheddar is so expensive:

Squash Blossom Farm: Kind of Cheesey

She's left out the time it takes to milk the cow, etc. (A friend of mine's blog re: her self-sustaining farm near Rochester, MN)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Balderson 5 yr Balderson
Love all of St-Albert cheese products!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #59
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

It has only been in the last few months, maybe a year, that I have turned my interests to learning more about cheeses. The best cheese I can ever recall was from when I was 10 or 11 years old. Down the road, there was an old country store. I have no clue where the proprietor got his cheese from. It may have been local, but I doubt it. A wheel of it, (or the remnants thereof) was always on the counter, under a big glass cover. A sliver of that cheese was the best cheese I have ever had. Ain't had any like it since that old man finally gave up the store due to his age. The new folks that took it over didn't last long before they closed it up too. Last time I went by there, it is a clubhouse for one of the local hunt clubs.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Balderson 5 yr Balderson
See, now you're just teasing me. I live in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, which makes it difficult to get these great cheeses. But I'm a resourceful guy, and know a site or two where I can get great cheese, just not the finest cheddar made. The other cheeses, including cheddars are very good though.

Another great cheese is Yancy's Fancy Bergenost cheese, and Butterkase is so creamy and good. Don't get me started on listing the great cheeses I've had. The oldest I've tasted was a 17 year old cheddar, sold in Fankenmouth Michigan. It had a ripened flavor that I didn't care for. But the 15 year old cheddar was very good. My favorite is still 5 year old Balderson Heritage. There was a sharp, creamy cheese out of Pinconing Michigan called Sharp Pinconing. It was fabulous at room temperature. One bite would curl your toes and make your jaw muscles ache as it bombarded your tongue with rich flavor. Sadly, the cheese makers who developed the cheese sold it to a larger manufacturer. Though it is still good, IMHO, it isn't as good as when I first tasted it. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with a chub of longhorn Colby, or a great, aged swiss cheese. Check out this site: Dorset Drum English Farmhouse Cheddar: Buy Dorset Drum English Farmhouse Cheddar Online, Read Reviews at igourmet.com

Along with the Dorset Drum Cheddar, which is a fine cheese, they have a great selection of cheese and sausages. Good stuff.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None