What is the best Aged Cheddar you've had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
For me, it was a tie between 5-year old Balderson Heritage Cheddar, a 5 year old aged cheddar from a private, artisinal cheese maker in Wisconsin, and Dorset Drum Farmhouse Cheddar.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For me, it was a tie between 5-year old Balderson Heritage Cheddar, a 5 year old aged cheddar from a private, artisinal cheese maker in Wisconsin, and Dorset Drum Farmhouse Cheddar.

I looked up your Balderson Heritage Cheddar 5 years old, it looks interesting. Has it started to crumble, gritty to a small extent, salty enough? What is it you like, I think I may try that.

For an inexpensive nice aged cheddar, the Vermont Cabot aged cheddar is excellent--for anyone on a budget, like me.

Balderson is definitely THE best when it comes to aged cheddar but I will have to call your 5 year and raise it with a 6! We can only get it at Costco, around Christmas time and it is pricey, but it is so good! But MY Balderson is from the Ottawa Valley, Winchester to be exact. It began in 1881 in the tiny village of Balderson, Ontario. :)

One of my all time favorites

Red Spruce Cheddar - Aged 7 Years

7yrcheddar%20large.jpg

The finest aged Wisconsin cheddar, Red Spruce Cheddar from the Roth Käse cellars is simply outstanding. Each lot is selected by "The Tastemasters Guild" before release. These are aged cheddars that stand above the crowd, full-flavored and creamy.

Artisanal cheddar is a Wisconsin cheese tradition and a true showstopper! Wisconsin is the nation’s leader in cheddar production, and it’s easy to see (and taste) why. Roth Kase hand-selects their finest cheddars for additional aging to create a rich, buttery, intense flavor and crumbly texture.

Pair the Red Spruce Cheddar developed through 7 years of aging with an Amber Ale or a hearty red wine. For a unique combination, try plums and Madeira.

I looked up your Balderson Heritage Cheddar 5 years old, it looks interesting. Has it started to crumble, gritty to a small extent, salty enough? What is it you like, I think I may try that.

For an inexpensive nice aged cheddar, the Vermont Cabot aged cheddar is excellent--for anyone on a budget, like me.

That's what I pick on a regular basis. I've had some excellent cheeses over the years, but danged if I can remember any names. Most of my favorites have come from Gr. Britain.

I knew it. Should have never started reading this :drool: thread :drool:

Empire Cheese from Canada, and another vote for Cabot.

Growing up in Wisconsin, I've been spoiled. There are more small town cheese factories than you can shake a stick at. But I think my all-time favorite is a 10-year Cheddar from Carr Valley.

I love Cabot Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar, and always have it in the house - not as wild about their NY Cheddar or Vermont Seriously Sharp - I find the Vermont Extra Sharp has more taste and depth.

I also like a Canadian 3-year cheddar (can't remember the name of the company).

Last edited:
Growing up in Wisconsin, I've been spoiled. There are more small town cheese factories than you can shake a stick at. But I think my all-time favorite is a 10-year Cheddar from Carr Valley.

10 Years????!!! Wow! Must be insanely good.

I love Cabot Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar, and always have it in the house - not as wild about their NY Cheddar or Vermont Seriously Sharp - I find the Vermont Extra Sharp has more taste and depth.

I also like a Canadian 3-year cheddar (can't remember the name of the company).
Could very well be Balderson - it is our most famous Cheddar!

Could very well be Balderson - it is our most famous Cheddar!

It could be! It's great! I've only tasted the 3-year. So far, I haven't seen any that are more aged than 3 years over here.

Last edited:
It could be! It's great! I've only tasted the 3-year. So far, I haven't seen any that are more aged than 3 years over here.

I think there's one in the back of the fridge older than ten, but it's shy and cringes away from the light!:rolleyes:

i've had some really good vermont artisnal cheddars, but the best was at a friend's parents' house in belfast. it was from a small cheesemaker from donegal, i think, and it was just fantastic. extremely sharp to start, but finishing off with the creamiest texture you can imagine.

I think there's one in the back of the fridge older than ten, but it's shy and cringes away from the light!:rolleyes:
Did I ever tell you about my Great-Aunt who dated her eggs and put them in the egg trays in the fridge (this is years ago when they had such things). When my aunt and I went to clean her house while she was in the hospital, I worked on the fridge and found the eggs - some were dated 5 or more years prior. I dealt with them very gently....:wacko: Bet your cheese and those eggs would make some stinky omelet!;)

well,we make some pretty good cheese over this side of the pond but i've gotta say when it comes to cheddar the canadians have got it!!
my fav is baldersons royal canadian select vintage(buy it in asda over here) with tesco's extra mature 3 year aged vintage canadian a close second.
used to be the accountant for a cheese import/distibution company in cheshire back in the 70's.we used to import 3 year matured canadian by the container load,black wax dip the wheels & put them in cold store for another year or two....never mind makin' your teeth itch bro' bolas,this stuff made 'em dance! you must remember it,used to bring loads to the house at christmas along with stilton & cheshire that had won medals at the nantwich show & that was so creamy you ate with a spoon.all unpasteurised of course & no one had heard of chloresterol:ROFLMAO:!!
happy daze
harry

You took the words out of my mouth. Every year for a very short time they release a small amount of their Reserve Cheddar to the public. It melts in your mouth. I love Cabot's cheeses. Many times Cabot has left European cheese in the dust in competitions. And Calfornia wines have come into their own also. :yum:

Cougar Gold Cheese made by the Washington State University Creamery. Fabulous! I send it to my relatives every year for xmas and it's the best cheddar I've ever had. Their 3 year cheddar is a mouth watering wonder and the conventional 1 year aged beats any domestic I've had, hands down.

cheese.jpg

The make a few other cheeses and some of the seasonal ones are excellent. Black pepper chive is one of my favorites.

They ship..... :chef:

Boy, my hubby and I must be cheese wimps. We prefer the one or two year Balderson Cheddar to the more aged ones. But then, we don't drink wine: I bet that helps! ;)

Back
Top Bottom