"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-25-2008, 10:41 PM   #41
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Maverick, we must have posted just seconds apart. I don't mean for my post to sound like I'm correcting you, I agree ... salt prevents spoilage, yep!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
That's not the only reason:
The addition of salt to butter is to inhibit the growth of organisms that would otherwise sour the butter.. to quote Goodweed.

I would agree that was the case a hundred years ago.

However, with today's modern refrigeration and transportation methods, that is no longer an issue. The salt continues to be added to reproduce the taste everyone had become familiar with.

In today's world, large quantities of fresh cream are deliveded directly from the farm in refrigerated trucks the the butter plant. There it is very quickly put intot he manufacturing process. At some point in the process, salt is added to some of the cream/butter and some continues unsalted.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #43
Master Chef

LOL we were thinking the same thing!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #44
Sous Chef

Yes Andy, I'm sure the dairy council is mistaken.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #45
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
Yes Andy, I'm sure the dairy council is mistaken.

The Dairy Council may have been considering the historical perspective with their answer.

Do you suppose they make unsalted butter because they don't care of it spoils?

My point is that modern methods obviate the need for salt as a preservative.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #46
Master Chef

That and I still know many people that do not refrigerate their butter but leave it in a butter dish on the table. Ask them and they will tell you that is the way the prefer it, and why they buy salted.
Myself I always refrigerate my butter, the idea of leaving it out just doesn't appeal to me at all!
But, I am sure there are many today that do buy salted or unsalted based solely on preference of taste so I can see where Andy is coming from here.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
That and I still know many people that do not refrigerate their butter but leave it in a butter dish on the table. Ask them and they will tell you that is the way the prefer it, and why they buy salted.
Myself I always refrigerate my butter, the idea of leaving it out just doesn't appeal to me at all!
But, I am sure there are many today that do buy salted or unsalted based solely on preference of taste so I can see where Andy is coming from here.

I also cannot get used to the idea of leaving butter out at room temperature all the time. It seems counter intuitive.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #48
Sous Chef

I do understand your point, thank you, but I just can't agree (sorry). I've had butter past its prime and IMHO the preservative logic has some merit. For one thing, smaller independent markets can't move product like their larger competitors, and things do spoil (and take on off flavors from storage). Those open shelving units are handy for shoppers, but aren't optimal preservation units. My late FIL had a small town store, and while bread and chip vendors come in and rotate product for stores, that is not generally the case with dairy (to my knowledge).

That said, I actually tyr to buy unsalted butter and freeze it. Go figure!

General Butter Info
Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
LoL butter is grade AA butter. If the store brand is also grade AA, any differences should be minimal if any. The US govt. dictates minimum fat content (80%) for butter in the US. All brands will meet that requirement.

We buy butter in quantity from Costco. It costs less than $2.00 a pound and is just as good as LoL.

LoL is more expensive because of it's highly recognizable national brand name.
This is my understanding from my food science class. Just look for grade AA and "made from sweet cream".
Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #50
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree that salt has preservative powers. Also that some markets may have butter hanging around longer than it should in less than optimal conditions. We've both seen it.

Thanks for the link.

Tags
None