What is the difference (butter)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

passioncook

Assistant Cook
Does anyone know if there is a difference between, say Land O Lakes butter and lets say the store brand butter. I'm talking about the 1lb. butter in the box - salted or unsalted. As I'm sure everyone knows, Land O Lakes is considerably more expensive than the store brand.

We've always bought the store brand (and stocked up when it's on sale and froze it). This weekend, I made a cake for Easter that suggested the use of a "premium, high quality butter", so for the fun of it I bought the Land O Lakes unsalted. I'm a sucker for name brands, so I'm sure I was imagining it being a tad more creamy than the store brands. :wacko:

So, anyone with experience on this? DH says butter is butter.....right?

I actually grew up one town over from a Land O Lakes factory. Honestly I do think it is a better butter, but most times we buy the cheapest one for everyday use and Land O Lakes for baking. DW also prefers to use it over the others in baking.

I actually grew up one town over from a Land O Lakes factory. Honestly I do think it is a better butter, but most times we buy the cheapest one for everyday use and Land O Lakes for baking. DW also prefers to use it over the others in baking.

i think cheapest one is just as good. with land o lakes with other expensive brands , we are just paying for their advertising.

babe:rolleyes:

LoL butter is grade AA butter. If the store brand is also grade AA, any differences should be minimal if any. The US govt. dictates minimum fat content (80%) for butter in the US. All brands will meet that requirement.

We buy butter in quantity from Costco. It costs less than $2.00 a pound and is just as good as LoL.

LoL is more expensive because of it's highly recognizable national brand name.

I'll tell you what...I had the best butter ever at the Bellagio in Vegas on our honeymoon. Funny...it's our honeymoon and one of the key points I remember is the butter!

I am sorry to disagree ... all butter is not created equal. That's like assuming all syrup of the same grade is the same. Or cheese. Chocolate? COFFEE? Wine?

That's not to say that the store brand can't be an excellent product. But I do think that LOL butter is a more consistent quality product. I also know that LOL farmers are held to certain standards, but I cannot speak for other brands. I cannot afford it on a daily basis myself, but I use LOL for a special recipe or for a special event.

And yes, they do have a big advertising budget and you can bet your dairy farmers pay for it. I have a coworker who has a LOL farm. I have another acquaintance who owns an Organic Valley farm, and that too was especially flavorful. I have heard that Amish butter is heavenly beyond measure, but I haven't had occasion to try it yet.

Cooks Illustrated had an excellent review of butters. I will see if I can find it to share.

Um.... you remember the butter???!!!:ohmy:

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

And I am still sticking by my Land O Lakes, the fat content may be the same but the processing isn't always equal... there is also a difference in taste (for me) depending on the source.
The same goes for milk for me, none of the milks out here (generic to name brand) compares to the milk I had back home growing up (Blue Bunny). Even now when I go home I can taste the difference. I even proved it to DW last time I made a trip to Iowa by getting her some Blue Bunny ice cream, now she looks for it everywhere out here hoping to be able to get some. She was also able to taste the difference in their milk. Oberwiese milk is really really good, but I can't afford their prices!

I stocked up on butter last week because Wal-Mart here had it for $1.50 per pound. Bought both salted and unsalted.

The only difference I see among the different brands of butter is the saltiness of salted butter.

Recently I bought some house brand salted butter from a store I'd never tried. I was amazed at how ultra-salty the butter was compared to Wal-Mart or Kroger's salted butter. I didn't like and I won't buy it again.

Um.... you remember the butter???!!!:ohmy:

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

And I am still sticking by my Land O Lakes, the fat content may be the same but the processing isn't always equal... there is also a difference in taste (for me) depending on the source.
The same goes for milk for me, none of the milks out here (generic to name brand) compares to the milk I had back home growing up (Blue Bunny). Even now when I go home I can taste the difference. I even proved it to DW last time I made a trip to Iowa by getting her some Blue Bunny ice cream, now she looks for it everywhere out here hoping to be able to get some. She was also able to taste the difference in their milk. Oberwiese milk is really really good, but I can't afford their prices!

Blue Bunny can't be found in IL???

Not readily here in Chicago yet, don't know why. We have, on occasion, found Blue Bunny ice cream, but they don't seem to carry it on a regular basis. But not the milk anywhere that we have found.

Not readily here in Chicago yet, don't know why. We have, on occasion, found Blue Bunny ice cream, but they don't seem to carry it on a regular basis. But not the milk anywhere that we have found.

Funny you mentioned BB - I grew up on it too in Missouri and it's still widely available where I live now in MO. Some people go crazy over their ice cream, I could take it or leave it. But I will agree with you on the milk, it just is better. You'd think IL would have it since it at least close to IA! There is a local dairy where I live and the milk is far superior than like Wal-Mart's store brand, or any store brand for that matter. It just tastes stale to me.

I am sorry to disagree ... all butter is not created equal. That's like assuming all syrup of the same grade is the same. Or cheese. Chocolate? COFFEE? Wine? ...

No reason to be sorry about disagreement. Happens all the time

As I said earlier, there may be slight differences in taste, but the butters will meat quality standards to acheive the AA ratings.

I think you are way off base bringing wine, coffee and cheese into the discussion. Apples and oranges.

Back
Top Bottom