"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 08-14-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
Cook

So this is messed up. I just loaded the dishwasher at home to unearth a bag of peaches G must have brought in with her this morning. Then find she polished off my mascarpone at the weekend apparently. From awesome to ****** in 3.5 seconds.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Verablue, that grilled peach idea sounds fantastic! To bad I can't find any decent peaches around here. The only ones I've had are bitter.

I remember as a kid, going to the Peach Festival in Porter, OK, and picking peaches by the bushel out in the fields. They were HUGE, bigger than a baseball, but not quite as big as a softball, and dead ripe. I must have ate 2 or 3 right there in the fields, with hot peach juice squirting out from around my lips and dribbling down my face. I have yet to get anything close to that.
Allen, I've been mourning the flavour of great fruit for years now, as well. One of the good things about this particular method of serving peaches is that it's forgiving to a less than perfectly ripe peach. Give it a try!

Old 08-14-2006, 05:43 PM   #13
Master Chef

I don't know what the markets by you have, but around here ripe figs are still available. A classic Italian way to serve Mascarpone is with halved fresh ripe figs - sometimes drizzled with honey. Definitely one of my favorite fig desserts.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Mine, too, Breezy. Figs I can get ripe, but peaches, necatarines and plums are a thing of the past, it would seem.

You know what else is good in figs or peaches? Ricotta cheese, and then crumble amaretti cookies on top.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Figs. Mark an "X" on top, halfway down. Prise open the fig. Add dollops of mascarpone. Drizzle with warmed honey and cognac.
Oohh! What a way to get tipsy!!
Old 08-15-2006, 12:05 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Split two peaches in half. Remove the stone. Melt a bit of butter and brush it on the cut sides of the peaches. Grill the peaches till aromatic and lightly browned. While still warm, spoon a teaspoon of mascarpone into each peach half. Drizzle with a bit of honey, sprinkle with orange zest and freshly grated nutmeg.

It's a wonderfully light dessert I think you'll enjoy.
You beat me to it!!!! lol That's exactly what I was going to suggest - DANG they were good!!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:03 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
12 servings
6 big peers- sugar g 300 - mascarpone g 250 - 3 yolks - cinnamon - 12 soft savoiardi (big, soft biscuits) - gianduia cream – toasted hazelnuts - cacao - Maraschino - Grappa.

Cook peeled peers for 5 minutes in a hot syrup made with half liter water, 200 gr sugar and just a bit of cinnamon : In the meantime, cook the leftover sugar, wet with a half water spoon, till to 110°, then pour it on yolks, whipping them with mascarpone, getting a very soft cream. Drain the glazed peers from syrup, and cut them in big-medium pieces . Wet biscuits with a mixture of maraschino ( a sweet cherry liquor), water and Grappa.

In every cup, put peers enough, and one bisquit. Cover with mascarpone cream, decorate with Gianduia cream, some toasted hazelnuts and some cacao powder. Put in fridge.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Cup with mascarpone and chocolate
12 servings
mascarpone g 750 – icing sugar g 130 - meringues g 100 – fondant chocolate g 60 – coffee liquor g 150 - 16 soft savoiardi –lingue di gatto (little dry bisquits, covered with chocolate) - expresso

Mix mascarpone with sugar, grated chocolate, 3 coffe little cups and 50 gr of coffee liquor. Wet savoiardi with the leftover coffee liquor, ¼ lt water andf a cup of expresso. Fill a big cup with mascarpone cream, mixed with soaked savoiardi and crumble meringues. Decorate with meringues and chocolate bisquits. Two hours in fridge before serving.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:23 AM   #19
Head Chef

In case you change your mind and fancy something savoury but indulgent, my husband makes amazing pizza and my favourite is when he does just a simple herby fresh tomato topping and then, as it comes out of the oven, puts dollops of mascarpone on the top....when you bite into that creamyness its heavenly against the freshness of the tomato and a real textural contrast to the tomato and the pizza base.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #20
Head Chef

RDG, your recipes look ace. But I'm somewhat taken aback at six big peers. Don't take it amiss - I live in Spain and make mistakes in Spanish all the time - but do you mean six big pears?

Tags
None