"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
Master Chef

What to do with yogurt?

My boss overbought plain yogurt. I used some instead of sour cream in a cake and that was fine. But he still has a lot, probably 16-20 pounds. I am wondering what to do with it? I am wondering if it can be made in farmers cheese? Any ideas?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Head Chef

Yes you can substitute it for sour cream in dips and dressings.
You can make it into a drier version of itself, seasoning it savory w/herbs salt, or seasoning it sweet with sugar and sweet spices.
Hang it in cheese cloth or something similar, over a bowl or a sink for 24 hours or more. The longer you hang it, the drier it gets. When you open it, scrape it from the cheese cloth into a bowl.
It will become thick like cream cheese, tangy, spreadable. We call it yogurt cheese.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I mix plain yogurt with dried herbs and a bit of lemon juice and use it instead of sour cream on baked potatoes. Tzatziki, too. But that's an awful lot of yogurt to use up!

I usually get Greek yogurt, but use blissful's cheese cloth method if I'm using regular yogurt for tzatziki.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
Master Chef

Yogurt can be used as a coating for baked meats, with seasoning of course. Think of how ranch dressing is used to coat chicken before it is dredged in seasoned flour. It can be transformed into many sauces as well. I've used it in place of cream cheese when I had planned poorly and didn't have enough cheese for my cheesecake. And speaking of cheesecake, yogurt, combined with sugar and a bit of vanilla makes a wonderful topping. You can also add fruity goodness to that topping.

You can always dump some ice cold yogurt onto a loved one, over the shower curtain.
Hide moiture proof candy in it at Holloween and make the little ones dig through it with their eyes closed to find that candy in the bucket.

Ok, I'm getting silly. Time to end this fifteen minute break and get back to work.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What to do with yogurt?

Good gravy, Charlie, that's a lot of yogurt!

I make yogurt cheese often, and sub it for sour cream. I haven't had problems with freezing it.

Maybe portion it up in ziplocks and distribute it to friends and neighbors? Have a smoothie party?
Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
Master Chef

Yeah. I know. I guess it was a mistake in order. Still wondering if it can be made into farmers cheese

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 05-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I found this:

http://natashaskitchen.com/2016/04/1...cheese-recipe/

You can make your Greek yogurt from your regular yogurt, and go from there.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #8
Master Chef

You can use it pretty much anywhere you would use sour cream. Make yogurt cheese with it. Drain it a little so that you end up with Greek yoghurt. Marinate chicken in it like you would use buttermilk. Whip it and blend with fresh fruits. I love it with fresh berries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
...You can always dump some ice cold yogurt onto a loved one, over the shower curtain...
If you lived in my house, and you did that to me? You. Would. Die. DIE, I tell ya.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:09 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Here you go Charlie. But make sure you drain it. Enjoy!

Greek Yogurt Recipes: 51 Healthy Greek Yogurt Recipes for Any Meal | Greatist
Old 05-25-2016, 04:40 AM   #10
Head Chef

Yogurt. If your sauce comes out too salty or spicy...add plain yogurt. It saved my lamb curry that I added too much salt and curry powder to. Yogurt is a great for that.

Tags
yogurt