"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 08-01-2005, 07:15 AM   #11
Master Chef

I'm with Rob Babcock. I'm assuming this is a SS fry pan, or SS saucier with sloping sides. I read many moons ago that SS must be pre-heated, but not to the point of browning or burning butter. The fat is added once the metal is hot and kept at a medium heat throughout the cooking process. The eggs are dropped in and cooked as desired.

Of course to attain perfect sunny-side up, or what I like to call pink-eyed eggs, for the pink membrane that is achieved over the yolk, I don't flip them at all. Rather, I place 2 tbs. of water into the pan after the whites are most of the way set, cover, and cook for about 20 to 30 more seconds. The water also helps loosen the egg from the pan, but isn't necessary if the cooking technique is done properly.

Oh, and I am careful to salt only the egg, not the pan.

What say you, Michael the Man?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:00 AM   #12
Master Chef

i deleted this. i missed a few lines out of the main post. sorry!

Old 08-01-2005, 09:13 AM   #13
Cook

My guess is the pan is not hot enough when she adds the eggs to it.

Nick
Old 08-01-2005, 11:54 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I vote for using a non-stick pan for eggs - other than that I think maybe there was not enough butter/oil in the pan for it cook in. I remember my mom using a pretty hefty amount of bacon grease/butter to fry eggs in.

Hot pan, cold oil, foods don't stick (I still use non-stick for eggs though)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:04 PM   #15
Master Chef

I'm with Rob, Goodweed and KElf.

I have a nonstick pan just for eggs.

I sometimes cook eggs in my SS but usually they do stick a bit. The hot pan, cold oil rule works very well for most things, but not so well for eggs, I have found. But maybe I dont use enough oil .

You dont need to season SS or nonstick, just CI and CI is not a very good choice for cooking eggs unless it is VERY well seasoned.

Please relieve our suspense!!
Old 08-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #16
Everymom

Um, think the eggs were too cold and the pan/fat not hot enough? I feel pretty shy about answering this. My usual solution when I am cooking eggs in a pan I know they will stick to is to put a couple tbsps of water in the pan with them and put a lid over the eggs. I like the top of my eggs cooked a bit and this works for me.

OK Michael, waiting for your answer here.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #17
Head Chef

When I got my pans some of the advise said to let meats come close to room temperature before putting into hot pan to help keep it from sticking, this does make a big difference. Maybe it is the same with eggs.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

I have an 8" cheapo silverstone pan I use for eggs and omlets.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to experiment with my SS tri-ply and two eggs. I heated the pan fully then added some butter. When that was hot, I added the two eggs. They cooked undisturbed for a bit. When it was time to flip (I like them sunny side up) they were stuck at one small point. A quick nudge with a spatula and they were free. I flipped them and finished the second side. They glided into my plate then down the hatch!

Back to the non-stick now.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #19
Master Chef

tap tap tap tap .....

Oh, Michael .....
Old 08-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I have an 8" cheapo silverstone pan I use for eggs and omlets.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to experiment with my SS tri-ply and two eggs. I heated the pan fully then added some butter. When that was hot, I added the two eggs. They cooked undisturbed for a bit. When it was time to flip (I like them sunny side up) they were stuck at one small point. A quick nudge with a spatula and they were free. I flipped them and finished the second side. They glided into my plate then down the hatch!

Back to the non-stick now.
so - it's looking like not enough fat in your pan - M I C H A E L!!!!!!!! If I knew your middle name you'd really know you were in trouble

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None