What's your favorite grilled cheese sandwich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brings back college days

I lived on grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch when I was a student at the University of Miami, Florida. Can't recall the last time I ate one since. :chef: Maybe I overdosed?

NAchef, those pics made my mouth water! When it comes to grilled cheese I guess I'm a traditionalist (read: boring). American cheese (deli sliced, not the "wallet cheese" in plastic wrap), sturdy white bread, touch of butter on the outside if you're grilling. It tastes even better if you grill your sandwich in a pan that has just been used to saute/caramelize onions. mmmmm Just a hint of onion. Gotta put a slice of tomato in it, too. As a kid I liked sweet pickle slices slipped into the melted cheese. Now I'll have to spend the rest of the winter experimenting.

My favorite "grilled" cheese sandwich is done under the broiler! Ate this the first time at a (now defunct) vegetarian restaurant in Cleveland just up from University Circle. Slab of whole wheat bread, very thinly sliced fresh mushrooms (although I suppose you can use whatever veggies you want) and a stack of thin slices of cheddar or swiss cheese. Grill until cheese is gooey melty, veggies are warm, and edges of bread are browning. Heavenly!

coookies, hope you and your friends had a nice warm visit since the weather outside is so "winter".:)

For breakfast- 3 slices of Pepperidge Farms sourdough topped with sliced cheddar or manchego (not all manchego is created equal) topped with sliced onion. Baked in toaster oven until onions soften and cheese is bubbly.

For breakfast- 3 slices of Pepperidge Farms sourdough topped with sliced cheddar or manchego (not all manchego is created equal) topped with sliced onion. Baked in toaster oven until onions soften and cheese is bubbly.

Cheesy bread!! I like to put a fried on on it for breakfast. :)

Merstar, you and I have similar tastes once again!

3 korn rye bread, sliced very thin, 1 slice aged cheddar (my latest was Balderson 6 year old which I can only get around Christmas at Costco), shaved ham or prosciutto, 1 slice Gruyere and thin sliced tomato, with garlic butter on the outside and grilled on our panini press! It is my newfound favourite!

Yes we do, LP! Great idea about the garlic butter - I've gotta try it! (I wish I let myself eat prosciutto - well, maybe just this once...:)

I take a couple pieces of Italian bread,... top with cheddar, bacon, and sauteed red onion... yummm. A heart attack in a sandwich...gotta love it!

For some reason it's not grilled cheese unless it's white bread, buttered with Velveeta slices, then grilled in a pan on the stove. Everything else sounds wonderful, but they would just be hot cheese sandwiches for me. Oh and I have to have tomato soup with it.

I am going to try grilled (caramelized) tomato slices (seasoned with a little garlic pepper) along with gruyere on butter grilled ( I like french unsalted)san franscico sesame bread for breakfast, ooooh yummyyyy. Might add some honey roasted turkey or ham, thinly sliced, of course.

just plain white bread and 2 slices of american cheese and afterwards spread grape jelly on it and have to have chocolate milk with it, if you said eww on the grape jelly try it it is really good.

second one is- its same as above only put in cooked bacon and no jelly

just plain white bread and 2 slices of american cheese and afterwards spread grape jelly on it and have to have chocolate milk with it, if you said eww on the grape jelly try it it is really good.

second one is- its same as above only put in cooked bacon and no jelly

You lost me at "plain white bread".

I am going to try grilled (caramelized) tomato slices (seasoned with a little garlic pepper) along with gruyere on butter grilled ( I like french unsalted)san franscico sesame bread for breakfast, ooooh yummyyyy. Might add some honey roasted turkey or ham, thinly sliced, of course.

Oh! I'd like that too...with either dijon mustard or a grainy mustard. Now I'll have to go to the store.

I like mine about as plain and boring as they come.

I keep Wonder bread on hand just for grilled cheese. Buttered Wonder, two slices of Land O' Lakes yellow American Cheese and a cast iron griddle is all that's involved.

Once in a while I'll get adventurous and throw a slice of ham or a couple of strips of crispy bacon on there....but mostly I like it just plain.

Now, as for accompaniment, it doesn't get any better than home made tomato basil soup.

To me, a grilled cheese sandwich is a nostalgic comfort food. Therefore, it stays pretty basic for me. Like the hot dog, it's best kept simple. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. (I just made that up ;)).

Some sliced bread, whatever is on hand. Some sliced cheese, usually American and whatever else I have. A skillet and butter.

Sometimes I add sliced tomato, or bacon, or ham. That's about it.

True...a plain ole grill cheese is comforting...but every once is a while.....carmelized onions, tomatos, 6 year old cheddar, montery jack and havarti....yum...oh..and on multi-grain.

I agree with Andy M., simple is good. I am going to try some
different cheeses tho, always use deli sliced American, but I
love most cheeses. Anyone tried a bit of blue thrown in?

jet -- plain white bread is Regular bread - store brought all sliced, wonder bread etc. not a sour dough or rye or french, just plain ole white bread.

I don't know if this would even still be considered a grilled cheese, but it's my favorite:

Pepper jack cheese, a couple slices of hard salami, turkey, sliced tomato, and sliced pepprochinis. YUM! It's just a great combination, all warm and gooey....

Back
Top Bottom