What's your favorite grilled cheese sandwich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coookies

Cook
I have a couple of friends coming over for a late lunch today, and when I asked one of them last night what she'd like to have, she said "anything you want to make but I'd also be happy with grilled cheese!" ohhh got that idea stuck in my head :) I like it with muenster and/or cheddar and might try it with gruyere too - between two fat slices of Italian bread with creamy tomato bisque - but just curious, what's your favorite grilled cheese sandwhich? (Kades, saw yours in a recent thread, looks incredible!)

Katie

Thank you Katie:)
My gang all love grilled cheese. French or Italian are our favorites..I dearly love Gruyere,or Fontina on them . I made this for everyone for lunch. Take a long loaf of Cibatta slice the long way and put on nice fat slices of Fontina or brie then top with a thin slices of either prociutto or a danish ham,brush outside with butter, messy but yummy, put on stove top grill or long electric skillet,grill till cheese melts,then remove sandwich and open it up and brush with a mix of Dijon and mayo. add some arugula or baby spinach.Just about any soup will be fine, but I love a creamy tomato and some sliced pears sliced and chilled.Emmm. Enjoy your company:)
kades
BTW: my favorite changes from time to time so many cheeses, it's hard to choose.

Last edited:
I have found making straight forward grilled cheese sandwiches, you know, w/sliced cheese, that adding a slice of tomato works well, so does adding a couple slices of dill pickle, (one for each slice) is also tasty. So try this with the above mentioned ideas maybe??

Havarti cheese on sourdough or Rye. Mmm

Now I have to hit the store on the way home tonight!!

1 slice each - thin sliced Dak brand imported ham (browned first), swiss and muenster (ham in the middle) on seeded rye. toasted in a pan with butter.

My current favorite is using the Pepperidge Farms sourdough with two slices of Kraft cheddar singles and some tomato (put that on after grilling).

Not fancy-schmancy but tastey.

My current favorite is using the Pepperidge Farms sourdough with two slices of Kraft cheddar singles and some tomato (put that on after grilling).

Not fancy-schmancy but tastey.
Sounds delish:) Fancy isn't everything:LOL:
kadesma

cotswold cheese (a sharp cheddar like cheese with green onions through it!) tomato, bacon, on pumpernickel with a slight smear of dijon, served with tomato soup (touch of smoked habanero flake and fresh basil chiffonade)

like half a stick ofbutter in a copper clad pan, 'taliano bread, land-o-lakes wht. american, (2-3 slices), & soup. smushed flat.
there was a phase where i loved grilled cheese & there were so many cheeses/breads that were great. provolone & avacodo, that's delicious.

It isn't, though I think sometimes people try to fancy up things that should be simple. Just my opinion on it though.
We all have an opinion on food,and that is what makes threads like this one so much fun. We come together and share ideas. Who knows we might find a combination that makes us hungry enough to give it a try. ;)
kadesma

like half a stick ofbutter in a copper clad pan, 'taliano bread, land-o-lakes wht. american, (2-3 slices), & soup. smushed flat.
there was a phase where i loved grilled cheese & there were so many cheeses/breads that were great. provolone & avacodo, that's delicious.
you put soup IN your sammie THAN smush it? that sounds messy and soupy!! LOL :-p

we like caraway rye bread, strong cheddar cheese and bits of green onion strewn over the cheese. Put in a fry pan, after buttering both outsides of sandwich and put a weight on it or hold it down to flatten with a wide spatula. Toasty brown on both sides. Eat with lots of sweet gherkins......our favourite!

Mediterranean bread, good swiss, corned beef, mayo and dijon after grilling. I grill on a 2 burner CI grill with a skillet on top. Wheat beer. Just finished for dinner tonight.

A mixture of Gruyere and extra sharp cheddar with sliced tomatoes on rye with caraway seeds or pumpernickel.

Merstar, you and I have similar tastes once again!

3 korn rye bread, sliced very thin, 1 slice aged cheddar (my latest was Balderson 6 year old which I can only get around Christmas at Costco), shaved ham or prosciutto, 1 slice Gruyere and thin sliced tomato, with garlic butter on the outside and grilled on our panini press! It is my newfound favourite!

Laurie, that Gruyere and tomato with garlic butter yum...I think Sunday will feature these...Thanks for sharing.
kades

ugh every one of these sounds so freaking good... I have a thing for cheese and bread... I shouldn't have asked, now I am going to hit up whole foods on my way home and spend a good $60 trying all of these ideas... :-p

Good whole wheat bread with Vermont cheddar. MMMMM!

Just made the whole wheat bread in the AB5M book today and think I'll have the grilled cheese tomorrow. The bread was awesome. Just the way I like homemade bread.

Plain white bread, mozzarella slices, slice of tomato...grilled to perfection! Add a slice of deli ham and it's pure comfort food. I add my tomato first then grill it. Sometimes I'll use rye or whole wheat.

Grilled pimento cheese and tomato is good too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom