"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2018, 10:41 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Legalize Milkweed Now!

Old 07-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Legalize Milkweed Now!

Old 07-22-2018, 06:49 AM   #23
Head Chef

Milkweed leafs was made into fake tea and sold as Indian or Chinese tea...
Old 07-23-2018, 11:36 PM   #24
Head Chef

Then they better change the name of skim milk, too. There's no milk in that stuff, either.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:49 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Then they better change the name of skim milk, too. There's no milk in that stuff, either.
I thought all that’s taken out of milk to make it “skim” is fat. Is fat what makes milk milk?
Old 07-24-2018, 12:29 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

What makes milk milk? Well JJ, if you want to find out all about milk, I found some bedtime reading for you!
The Chemistry of Milk

You're right about skim milk being raw milk with the fat removed. Here's a little bit from "TheKitchn" about how dairies accomplish that:
How Is Skim Milk Made?

In my opinion, commercial skim milk is on par with soda pop. Sure it has fewer calories than whole milk (90 compared to about 145), but the sugar and sodium levels are higher in the skim milk. Add to it that it tastes like nothing - unless you get it directly from a farm. I used to buy both skim and 2% from a local farm. The skim was very tasty and had a real milk flavor, while the 2% seemed more like whole milk - but it wasn't. Just had a wonderful flavor. Sadly, they no longer bottle their own processed milk. Rather, it is blended with milk from other dairy farms and doesn't taste anywhere near as good. Sadly, the nearest dairy with their own tasty milk is a 26-mile drive...one way!
Old 07-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #27
Master Chef

Over here non-animal is often called "milk" with a prefix stating it's origin, eg "soy milk" or "almond milk", etc.. because the ingredients have to be displayed on the packaging. Goats' milk is labelled as such too but, as it is more expensive than cows' milk, very few people would be confused. I have my (cows') milk delivered to my doorstep in one pint (Imperial measurement - 20 fluid ounces) glass bottles. Eat your hearts out those of you who have to traipse to the supermarket.

After years of living with supermarket milk I no longer get up in the morning and find no milk in the 'fridge for my "cuppa" because flat-mate/house-sharer has used the last - there'll be a pint on the doorstep, ready and waiting for me. My milkman also delivers bread and other essentials, to order, as well as milk products. The milk comes from local farms and hasn't been collected at depots all round the country as supermarket milk often has been. All milk sold in shops and by milk delivery is pasteurised or sterilised or "long-life". You can still buy untreated milk but it's pretty rare. It can only be sold at the farm gate and the standard is very carefully monitored under Health & Safety rules.

Milk deliveries in one pint glass bottles were such an issue that, when we went over to metric measurements, milk was allowed to retain it's "pint" status despite EU rules. As were beer and cider (sold in pints and half pints in pubs) and miles on direction boards and speed limits, etc.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Legalize Milkweed Now!
Why? According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service it isn't illegal to have it growing on your land and the US Department of Agriculture is encouraging farmers and ranchers to plant it.

It's essential to the survival of the endangered Monarch butterfly.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Why? According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service it isn't illegal to have it growing on your land and the US Department of Agriculture is encouraging farmers and ranchers to plant it.

It's essential to the survival of the endangered Monarch butterfly.
I do believe that BT was making a joke..
Ross
Old 07-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Over here non-animal is often called "milk" with a prefix stating it's origin, eg "soy milk" or "almond milk", etc.. because the ingredients have to be displayed on the packaging. Goats' milk is labelled as such too but, as it is more expensive than cows' milk, very few people would be confused. I have my (cows') milk delivered to my doorstep in one pint (Imperial measurement - 20 fluid ounces) glass bottles. Eat your hearts out those of you who have to traipse to the supermarket.

After years of living with supermarket milk I no longer get up in the morning and find no milk in the 'fridge for my "cuppa" because flat-mate/house-sharer has used the last - there'll be a pint on the doorstep, ready and waiting for me. My milkman also delivers bread and other essentials, to order, as well as milk products. The milk comes from local farms and hasn't been collected at depots all round the country as supermarket milk often has been. All milk sold in shops and by milk delivery is pasteurised or sterilised or "long-life". You can still buy untreated milk but it's pretty rare. It can only be sold at the farm gate and the standard is very carefully monitored under Health & Safety rules.

Milk deliveries in one pint glass bottles were such an issue that, when we went over to metric measurements, milk was allowed to retain it's "pint" status despite EU rules. As were beer and cider (sold in pints and half pints in pubs) and miles on direction boards and speed limits, etc.
When I was very young, we used to have a milkman. It was kinda cool. He didn’t deliver anything but dairy products though. If Mom needed an extra quart of milk or a pint of cottage cheese, she’d leave a note in one of the used empty bottles that she’d set out on the porch every night for collection. Automatic recycling!

The milkman (not ours, just generally) also had quite a reputation as a roue, and was the punchline in many bawdy jokes. Jokes that, once hearing them, Millenials will get a puzzled look on their face and say “milkman???” Oy vey!

Tags
almond milk, milk, other, rice milk, soy milk