"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Where can I find Mascarpone?

I'm trying to find some Marscapone, I tried looking in the area where they sell cream chesse and other cheeses, but couldn't find any. I've only tried Walmart, can anyone help me?

Thanks

Old 04-13-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
Master Chef

Well - depending on where you live (you didn't include that in your user profile) it's hard to tell. DC has members from all around the world ... so without knowing where you live ... it's kind of hard to help you.

Here is one site that will tell you how to make a substitute mascarpone (Italian Cream Cheese).

Old 04-14-2006, 12:31 AM   #3
Executive Chef

You ain't gonna find it at Walmart...

Look up any and all gourmet, specialty, and/or Italian markets in your area and call them to see if they have it.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:21 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Some of our grocery stores carry it and some don't. The same with creme fraiche. I don't know how they detemine whether or not they will carry a product, but I suppose we should just ask for it if we don't see it.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
Head Chef

Our local Publix carries it at times, mostly aroung major holidays, I think. They have forms you can fill out to request certain items, and are very accommodating in trying to get stuff for you. That's how I got them to stock Panko and also Kitchen Basics stocks.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #6
Head Chef

I have the exact same problem with lady fingers - they are hard to find.
None of the Krogers or other large groceries near me carry marscapone. I found it at Trader Joes and at a specialty cheese and wine shop near my house.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Head Chef

Actually, IronChef, the Wal-Mart near us does carry it. While they are largely a cookie cutter store, I do think theym carry things that sell in the different areas.

If it is a super store you are shopping at, look near the deli ...
Otherwise, like everyone else has suggested, find a good cheese or wine store ... happy hunting!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
If you're in a rural-ish town then you won't have much I think. Bloomington is a pretty fair-sized college town, with 3 each of Kroger and Marsh superstores within 15 minutes of each other, but they just recently began carrying things like fresh mozzarella and some quality parmigiano reggiano. I always look for marscapone but never find it. I think your best bet would be to head towards more heavily populated areas, where supermarets are likely to have some more variety, and you will probably also find more specialty cheese stores.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

It may be in the specialty cheese case. Otherwise just use cream cheese or make your own. It is jolly expensive. sold in plastic tubs a bit like cottage cheese.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
Master Chef

Here in the VA/MD area, the Giant supermarkets carry it quite frequently. I'm sure Giant must have franchise names in other areas of the country.

The mascarpone is in small plastic containers with the gourmet cheeses, usually in the vicinity of the other Italian cheeses - the fresh mozzarella balls, parmesan, Asiago, etc., etc.

Tags
None