"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #21
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I see families at the food bank and when they get a small box of Velveeta, they are so happy. It means their kids can have a lunch that they like. And they can get two days of meals with it. They don't turn their nose up at it. If you want to see folks that aren't purists, go to a food bank to help out. Canned veggies are sometimes the only veggi the kids get. Sugared cereal means they don't have to put sugar on their cereal. They can use it for something else.
I really agree with you Addie, sometimes we really do get caught up in "food snobery" and we need to be more aware of those who can't afford the very best of the best. Actually I think Vit is in agreement on this point.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
Executive Chef
my point is really about processed foods--our aversion which is sometimes too rigid to let our guard down and admit to a few exceptions without shame or apology.... :) (but thank you, kayelle, for your support and rescue attempt) :)

vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i guess all i was trying to say, is let's put it out there without the pc for once.... :)
Why apologize? If I use Velveeta in a recipe, I will say so. Yes, for the most part I use natural foods, try not to include additives. Read labels and try not to buy additives. But, if I am making Chile con Queso Dip...the only things that taste right are a can on Nalley's Chili - no Beans and a 1 pound chunk of Velveeta.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #24
Master Chef
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i guess all i was trying to say, is let's put it out there without the pc for once.... :)
I use Velveeta, Cheese Whiz, store bought salsa, potted meat, Vienna Sausage, canned sardines, etc. I'm not a food snob, or food prude. I use whatever is needed to make whatever it is that I'm trying to make. That being said, I prefer to make a home made cheese sauce, combining milk, grated cheddar, grated swiss cheese, and grated Parmesano Regiano. I can't always afford to have all of those cheeses in my fridge at the same time, especially since I'm the only cheese lover in the house. But when I can, I make my own "Velveeta" with real cheese, a bit of salt, and a touch of prepared mustard. The texture is very similar to the store purchased product. After all, the original Kraft used to use ends and pieces of real cheese to make Velveeta. It was a way to use the small cheese pieces that couldn't be sold on store shelves. And it was better tasting than what we can purchase today. and Cheese Whiz is simply Velveeta with more moisture added to make it softer, though in my opinion, it's also saltier in flavor, which is what makes it taste great on a Philly Steak sandwich.

I think that it's safe to say, if I were a rich man, I'd still eat it, and the other things I mentioned.

seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
Master Chef
I think Velveeta is disgusting, sorry.

I do in fact use it in limited quantities in Mac and cheese I make for others.

But bears no resemblance to real cheese. It's plastecine and bland.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I use Velveeta, Cheese Whiz, store bought salsa, potted meat, Vienna Sausage, canned sardines, etc. I'm not a food snob, or food prude.

seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
It is not because I am a food snob or a food prude, I just don't like em.

We do seem to freak or flame, whatever the term is, when someone posts about a food we do not care for. In my case I feel the world is going to come crashing down around me when I submit a post about the evil Crisco. I know it is not good for me. I also know that sugar, white flour, smoked fatty meat and the "recipe" are not good for me. I don't understand why we need to win people over to our point of view or judge the choices others make. I enjoy seeing the different things people use and how they do things. To me the whole thing is a big buffet and I can pick and choose those things that are right for me. Please don't think I am preaching, I am as guilty as anyone. I just don't understand the need that we as humans seem to have.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #27
Wine Guy
Well said, Aunt Bea.

I'm kind of a food snob and I'll be the first to admit it. I have my own reasons for not wanting to eat certain foods, but I don't expect everyone to conform to my likes or dislikes.

There are some things I just don't eat, and Velveeta is one of those things. I've never liked it, even when I was a kid. Part of the reason is because I grew up in a rural Wisconsin town surrounded by creameries and cheese factories. Process cheese food was a bit of a taboo in that part of the country.

So be it. Obviously a lot of people do like it or it wouldn't still be around after almost 100 years. You can't knock success.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
I do use can goods. Tomatoes, evaporated milk, cream style corn, wax beans, tuna fish, tomato paste, Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup for when I am too sick to make it myself, etc. I really have no interest in trying to make these items myself. As sick as I was this past two weeks can you just see me in the kitchen trying to make the noodles and then the broth with the chicken? And who is going to clean the kitchen after? Not me. I will be laying on the floor dead. There are some foods I just plain do not like. White bread, okra, oatmeal, buttermilk, yogurt to name a few. Yet when my kids were small I bought these foods for them (except the okra) because they liked them or were good for them. Now that they have all left home, I no longer have to buy them. Although I do have some buttermilk culture in the fridge for biscuits.

At holiday time, when I have a lot of baking to do, I will buy the refrigerator pie dough. I don't like it, but I will use it to save time. I prefer to bake and cook from scratch. I am a label reader. I have found that since I have been making an effort to keep chemicals out of my diet, I feel much better. I am not always successful in that endeavor.

I prefer cheese. If the product says Cheese Food, Processed Cheese, or any other word with cheese, I tend to avoid it. Years ago the government used to give out food. One of the items was a five pound block of processed cheese. I was very happy to get that cheese. Along with the pounds of butter and other items. Powdered eggs though just couldn't be disguised. The cheese gave my kids a lunch to take to school. And it also went into the mac and cheese. It was often a snack for them.

As you can see, I have been on both sides of the fence. So I don't think I could be called a food snob or elitist. I now live alone and can eat much better than when I had a family of five kids to feed. And as they get older, they too are learning to eat better.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #29
Executive Chef
I'm with Bea. I'm a real cheese lover, I eat lots of cheese--usually eat some every day, and I just plain don't like Velveeta. It's got a kind of rubbery texture and one dimensional flavor to me. I just don't like that. It doesn't bother me if other people like it. Other people eat lots of things I don't like and I probably eat a lot of things other people don't like. It's a free country!

My favorite best melting cheese is Gruyere, and I love its taste... As far as the OP's problem, I'd make some Mornay sauce. I learned that from reading Julia Child's cookbooks. It's a lot easier than the recipe looks. Make some roux, check. Stir in some milk, check. Stir in some grated cheese, check. Season it with maybe salt, paprika and a dash of cayenne, done!
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
"Food prude", I like that term. I think that's me. It's not that I'm not adventurous, I'm just a prude about weird, unnatural stuff in my food.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote