Which Cheese Melts the Creamiest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
Which of these cheeses will melt the creamiest, taste the cheesiest yet not be stringy like Cheddar or mozzarella: Swiss, provolone, or havarti? I want to use it to drizzle over those hot potatoes.

Which of these cheeses will melt the creamiest, taste the cheesiest yet not be stringy like Cheddar or mozzarella: Swiss, provolone, or havarti? I want to use it to drizzle over those hot potatoes.

Pretty much the same. So use the one you think tastes best.

The "creamier" the cheese the more "stringy" it is when melted. A dry cheese like pecorino romano doesn't "string."

If you want creamy make up a little mornay sauce to pour over them.

I would use a combination of American process cheese for creamy texture and cheddar for taste. Those two added to a cream sauce with a little cayenne pepper would be fantastic on the potatoes or a green vegetable like broccoli.

If you need an inexpensive shortcut then I would go with a can of Campbell's cheddar or nacho cheese soup thinned with a little milk and spiked with cayenne. Not ideal but a fast inexpensive item for the emergency shelf.

Last edited:
Butterkaise melts well, as do cheeses such as cream cheese, neufchatell, farmer's cheese, brie, camembere, etc. Cheeses with a higher butterfat content will have less protien per unit voume, and thus, are less stringy.

If you heat a bechemel sauce, or cream to about 170' or so (using a candy thermometer, and add grated cheeses like cheddar, colby, Gruyere, harvarti, aged swiss, or Pinconing sharp, or any of the hard cheeses like Parmesano Regiano, Asiago, or Romano Pecorino, with the sauce removed from the heat, you will end up with a silky smooth cheese sauce. Overheating will cause the protiens to bind into stringy clumps. This is called breaking the sauce. Watch your temperatures and you will have a winning cheese sauce.

Good luck with your cheese sauce.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Of the three cheeses specifically mentioned by the original poster, Havarti would probably be the creamiest. But as one poster mentioned, a mornay sauce is your best bet. It's really nothing more than a bechamel sauce to which grated cheese has been added. If you go that route, you could use any of the cheeses you have.

Of the three cheeses specifically mentioned by the original poster, Havarti would probably be the creamiest. But as one poster mentioned, a mornay sauce is your best bet. It's really nothing more than a bechamel sauce to which grated cheese has been added. If you go that route, you could use any of the cheeses you have.

That's what I was thinking.

Kayelle said:
Then there's always a jar of Cheese Whizz. Ducking and running.........:whistling

Great minds think alike, Kayelle. Guess I'd better duck, run, and whistle too!

Last edited:
who is brave enough to lead this cheese whiz brigade? do we really need to be apologists about this simple process cheese fact? must we always be purists about our food fancies?

who is brave enough to lead this cheese whiz brigade? do we really need to be apologists about this simple process cheese fact? must we always be purists about our food fancies?

I see families at the food bank and when they get a small box of Velveeta, they are so happy. It means their kids can have a lunch that they like. And they can get two days of meals with it. They don't turn their nose up at it. If you want to see folks that aren't purists, go to a food bank to help out. Canned veggies are sometimes the only veggi the kids get. Sugared cereal means they don't have to put sugar on their cereal. They can use it for something else. :)

Bravery isn't an issue for me. I hate the stuff and don't eat cheese or "cheese food" that colour. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom