"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks

Wow! That was my same dating strategy when I was in my late teens and early 20s.
ROFL!!!

Didja get a lot of second dates?

Old 08-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I had goat milk in Mallorca, Spain. I thought it was weird when I had the first glass, but by the time we left, I had become quite fond of it. I have had goat milk from herds with a billy goat. Yuck! I never want to taste anything like that again.

I would love to try the milk my ancestors drank: reindeer.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
No one has mentioned the obvious: Human!

I prefer cow's milk to all the others mentioned, but I have to admit that human milk comes in the most attractive containers!
The raspberry ripple is the best BBC News - Breast milk ice cream goes on sale in Covent Garden
Old 08-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Tax Lady,

It is very common in the Iberian Peninsula, to have ewe or goat´s milk in the rurals ... or fresh cow´s milk ...

Reindeer milk is very common in Sweden too ... When we were in Stockholm a few years ago ( had a maternal Aunt of My Mom Eva, who was married to a Swede ) and lived in Stockholm --- so we had visited her.

I mentioned to the Vet, that I thought the milk was alot creamier and thicker then what I had seen, and I always drink Espresso or Greek or Turkish Coffee; NEVER with milk unless it is a Cappucchino, on rare occasion.

It was in a small white ceramic reindeer on the serving table ...

Interesting, and has a totally different bouquet, as reindeer eat herbs and various tundra grasses, and the mineralology content, comes through the bouquet.

Kindest, Have lovely summer,
MARGI.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #25
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
All I can think of is this clip:

Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #26
Sous Chef

I tried horse milk in Kyrgyzstan. They ferment it, and give some to all guests. Even strangers are considered to be guests if they wander by, so I had to drink it. It isn't something I would drink, if I felt I had a choice. They didn't pull my head back, and pour it into my mouth or anything like that, but I still felt I had to drink some every time it was offered, because they are big on hospitality there, and refusing any type of hospitality is rudeness to them.

Though there was horse milk and horses everywhere in Kyrgyzstan, I never say anyone milking a horse.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #27
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
I tried horse milk in Kyrgyzstan. They ferment it, and give some to all guests. Even strangers are considered to be guests if they wander by, so I had to drink it. It isn't something I would drink, if I felt I had a choice. They didn't pull my head back, and pour it into my mouth or anything like that, but I still felt I had to drink some every time it was offered, because they are big on hospitality there, and refusing any type of hospitality is rudeness to them.

Though there was horse milk and horses everywhere in Kyrgyzstan, I never say anyone milking a horse.
that's good of you, and certainly the proper thing to do. Thanks for being a good ambassador!

I had a buddy go there for work, and iirc, one of the national dishes is strips of horse fat, in fermented mare's milk. What I DO remember clearly was a kilo of saffron for the equivalent of something like $10US. Amazing.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel!

I'm curious. What did it taste like?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #29
Master Chef

To. E it tasted somewhat like sour milk, or what isit called in. Store, buttermilk or something ?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
Executive Chef

It is very common in Mongolia as well, to milk their ponies & mustangs, an ancient horse variety ... In Asia, the milk source mammals are numerous.

When, we lived on Crete ( there are no cattle ), ewe milk or goat milk were and are the only sources of Milk ...

Interesting Post ...
Have a nice August.
Margi.

Tags
milk