"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 04-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Sherri83
Question Whipping Cream

Can someone help me understand what whipping cream is and what it looks like at the supermarket? I cant find it at the walmart I shop at. Is it supposed to be near the milk? Or do I make it myself?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri83 View Post
Can someone help me understand what whipping cream is and what it looks like at the supermarket? I cant find it at the walmart I shop at. Is it supposed to be near the milk? Or do I make it myself?

It will be in the Dairy section, usually next to the 1/2 & 1/2. Here is is mostly sold in pint cartons (not plastic bottles). It might also be called "Heavy Cream", the same thing.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to meshoo96
Yeah, it's heavy cream. Watch the prices, though. I find that buying the quart is cheaper than buying 2 pints and if you want to make it and then have some on the side it is better to get the quart. As far as brand, I've tried several and don't find much of a difference enough to actually say one is better than the other. Although, after making my own whipped cream, I refuse to buy cool whip or redi whip or any pre made.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Head Chef

Just wanted to mention...it's in liquid form. You have to whip it, and add sugar and vanilla to make it "whipped cream".
Old 04-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Master Chef

Maybe i get a diferent whipping cream, but what I get comes from the frozen section, and it ususally is next to real whipp cream and comes in small cartons and called just that, whipping cream.
You'll have to defrost it and do pretty much what's mention above.

Tags
None