Whipping cream or heavy whipping cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's your problem with saturated fats? You into double bonds or something? You know that unsaturated fats go rancid sooner. And there aren't any saturated transfats, we all know that transfats are bad.

The cream we get here is packed with saturated fats...which is the bad fat (along with trans of course)

I am at a healthy weight but wish to keep it that way ;)

Saturated fats contribute to heart disease and high cholesterol, pretty good reasons to watch your intake of these types of foods ;)

Also I have high cholestrol, which is hereditary in my case, so I am on cholesterol tablets... another good reason for me not to consume much thickened cream or anything for that matter with high sat fat content :)

A person should consume less than 16 grams of saturated fat per day to help prevent high cholesterol :)

Either heavy cream or heavy whipping cream will work in a reduction sauce. Around here, we aren't offered whipping creams so the choices are simpler.

The high fat content is what keeps the cream from breaking when subjected to heat.

I use heavy cream for reduction sauces.

Andy I am curious as to what dairies provide products in your area. We have Garelick and Hoods, then some lesser known ones. I thought both of the first ones I listed were everywhere in the eastern half of the state. :angel:

I dont know Taxy...we just get 2 types of cream...cooking cream which is thinner and cant be whipped and thickened cream which is a thicker cream, but I would say not as thick as double cream

It was years before I could find out that your double cream is our heavy cream. Or whipping cream. :angel:

Andy I am curious as to what dairies provide products in your area. We have Garelick and Hoods, then some lesser known ones. I thought both of the first ones I listed were everywhere in the eastern half of the state. :angel:

We also see Hood and Garelick Farms. Our primary store for groceries carries heavy and light cream and half and half. I never see any whipping creams.

When I worked with the 4-H kids at the Fair, I would go into the barn early in the morning when the cows were being milked. I would go into the separator room and skim the warm cream that had just come out of the cow for my coffee. I would also use it for my cereal. Fresh from the cow, it has a completely different taste before it has been pasturized. Really rich! A little too rich for my tastes today. It would take only a drop to cream my coffee because it was so thick. To this day, if the store doesn't have half and half, I will settle for light cream, but never heavy or whipping cream. :angel:

We also see Hood and Garelick Farms. Our primary store for groceries carries heavy and light cream and half and half. I never see any whipping creams.

It must be the smaller companies that label whippinig creams. All they are, are a bit lighter than heavy cream. I always have felt that heavy cream whips better than 'whipping cream.' The 'whipping cream' is only a few cents cheaper. I have noticed on whipping cream that it is 'ultra pasturized', whereas heavy cream is not. Not worth the worry or fuss over it. When I want to whip cream, I want the full cream. :angel:

It must be the smaller companies that label whippinig creams. All they are, are a bit lighter than heavy cream. I always have felt that heavy cream whips better than 'whipping cream.' The 'whipping cream' is only a few cents cheaper. I have noticed on whipping cream that it is 'ultra pasturized', whereas heavy cream is not. Not worth the worry or fuss over it. When I want to whip cream, I want the full cream. :angel:

Heavy cream is ultra pasteurized too.

I can't remember seeing whipping cream in stores either
Does that mean you don't see any cream labelled "whipping cream" or does that mean you can't buy cream that can be whipped into whipped cream?

The cream I buy for whipping just says 40%.

Does that mean you don't see any cream labelled "whipping cream" or does that mean you can't buy cream that can be whipped into whipped cream?

The cream I buy for whipping just says 40%.

There are no creams in the market that are labeled whipping cream. I use heavy cream and it whips quite nicely.

I can never get it right which one to use, heavy whipping or just whipping cream. I sometimes compare the dietary information in the store but that really has no clues for me. By the time I'm in the store I've already made up my mind I'm going to eat one or the other and the dietary info isn't much different; one has a bit more fat content. Anybody who is worried about fat shouldn't be eating either one.

My main use for cream is as an additive to savory sauces, making a creamy sauce a la minute. Last night's dinner is a perfect example: I sprinkled pork chops with curry powder, browned them in oil, then simmered or braised them in sweet Marsala wine and some pineapple juice. When the chops were done I put them aside in a warm oven and then began thickening and reducing the sauce by alternately adding whipping cream and more Marsala, reduce it, repeat the cycle a few times until I get a nice sweet creamy Marsala sauce flavored by the pan juices. Then I pour the sauce over the chops and serve them.

So which cream should I be using? One of the above or another kind of cream entirely?

Sounds like a sweet sauce, rather than a savoury sauce (Marsala & pineapple juice). It's really your call, & it depends on what you are making. There are other thickening agents i.e. flour, or adding sour cream, cream cheese, mascarpone, etc at the end of cooking. I prefer half and half. Again, it depends.

Since you mentioned pork chops, here are some other ways to go:

Pork Chops Au Poivre
Pork Chops au Poivre Recipe | Eating Well

Piork Chope with Creamy Marsala Sauce
Pork Chops with Creamy Marsala Sauce Recipe | Eating Well

Last edited:
We have both here in NC, whipping and heavy. Sometimes labeled heavy cream and heavy whipping cream (which is just what everyone else labels "whipping cream") we also have light cream. This is fairly consistent among stores here.

I just buy heavy cream.

Most store brands here are made by Maola dairies. Hood can be found sometimes, and then a local dairy that has totally awesome products. Oh yeah, then there is Hunter Farms owned by one of the grocery chains that supplies under various brands.

Re the sauce, think this might fit into the sauce catagory, as well. Personally, I would have just used the Marsala, dropped the curry & pineapple juice - & keep it simple. I may have added some dijon mustard to the sauce for the chops. Also, check out basic Mother Sauce recipes & go from there.

Sounds like a sweet sauce, rather than a savoury sauce (Marsala & pineapple juice). It's really your call, & it depends on what you are making. There are other thickening agents i.e. flour, or adding sour cream, cream cheese, mascarpone, etc at the end of cooking. I prefer half and half. Again, it depends.http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/pork_chops_marsala_sauce.html

The purpose of the cream in my sauces isn't to thicken the sauce, it's to make the sauce more creamy. I usually just reduce the sauces to thicken them. You could stick a chicken's beak in a pot of hot water and then reduce that and eventually get some kind of reduction... although I'm not so sure the chicken would like that. ;)

What I have been talking about, at least my main use of cream, is at the end of cooking a sauce to finish it.

I hate half-and-half. Use milk, use cream, or use them both, but I think it's pointless to buy a product where they mix two things at the factory when you can buy them separately yourself and have more control.

Some people like half-and-half in their coffee. I like black myself but I can understand why milk might be too thin and cream too strong, in coffee. I'm just lucky that when I started drinking coffee I tried all the ways, and they all tasted terrible, so I eventually settled on black. Only later did I start liking coffee. I guess it's an acquired taste... :)

Back
Top Bottom