"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We also see Hood and Garelick Farms. Our primary store for groceries carries heavy and light cream and half and half. I never see any whipping creams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I can't remember seeing whipping cream in stores either
Does that mean you don't see any cream labelled "whipping cream" or does that mean you can't buy cream that can be whipped into whipped cream?

The cream I buy for whipping just says 40%.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Does that mean you don't see any cream labelled "whipping cream" or does that mean you can't buy cream that can be whipped into whipped cream?

The cream I buy for whipping just says 40%.
There are no creams in the market that are labeled whipping cream. I use heavy cream and it whips quite nicely.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I can never get it right which one to use, heavy whipping or just whipping cream. I sometimes compare the dietary information in the store but that really has no clues for me. By the time I'm in the store I've already made up my mind I'm going to eat one or the other and the dietary info isn't much different; one has a bit more fat content. Anybody who is worried about fat shouldn't be eating either one.

My main use for cream is as an additive to savory sauces, making a creamy sauce a la minute. Last night's dinner is a perfect example: I sprinkled pork chops with curry powder, browned them in oil, then simmered or braised them in sweet Marsala wine and some pineapple juice. When the chops were done I put them aside in a warm oven and then began thickening and reducing the sauce by alternately adding whipping cream and more Marsala, reduce it, repeat the cycle a few times until I get a nice sweet creamy Marsala sauce flavored by the pan juices. Then I pour the sauce over the chops and serve them.

So which cream should I be using? One of the above or another kind of cream entirely?
Sounds like a sweet sauce, rather than a savoury sauce (Marsala & pineapple juice). It's really your call, & it depends on what you are making. There are other thickening agents i.e. flour, or adding sour cream, cream cheese, mascarpone, etc at the end of cooking. I prefer half and half. Again, it depends.

Since you mentioned pork chops, here are some other ways to go:

Pork Chops Au Poivre
Pork Chops au Poivre Recipe | Eating Well

Piork Chope with Creamy Marsala Sauce
Pork Chops with Creamy Marsala Sauce Recipe | Eating Well
Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We have both here in NC, whipping and heavy. Sometimes labeled heavy cream and heavy whipping cream (which is just what everyone else labels "whipping cream") we also have light cream. This is fairly consistent among stores here.

I just buy heavy cream.

Most store brands here are made by Maola dairies. Hood can be found sometimes, and then a local dairy that has totally awesome products. Oh yeah, then there is Hunter Farms owned by one of the grocery chains that supplies under various brands.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #35
Head Chef

Re the sauce, think this might fit into the sauce catagory, as well. Personally, I would have just used the Marsala, dropped the curry & pineapple juice - & keep it simple. I may have added some dijon mustard to the sauce for the chops. Also, check out basic Mother Sauce recipes & go from there.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Sounds like a sweet sauce, rather than a savoury sauce (Marsala & pineapple juice). It's really your call, & it depends on what you are making. There are other thickening agents i.e. flour, or adding sour cream, cream cheese, mascarpone, etc at the end of cooking. I prefer half and half. Again, it depends.
The purpose of the cream in my sauces isn't to thicken the sauce, it's to make the sauce more creamy. I usually just reduce the sauces to thicken them. You could stick a chicken's beak in a pot of hot water and then reduce that and eventually get some kind of reduction... although I'm not so sure the chicken would like that.

What I have been talking about, at least my main use of cream, is at the end of cooking a sauce to finish it.

I hate half-and-half. Use milk, use cream, or use them both, but I think it's pointless to buy a product where they mix two things at the factory when you can buy them separately yourself and have more control.

Some people like half-and-half in their coffee. I like black myself but I can understand why milk might be too thin and cream too strong, in coffee. I'm just lucky that when I started drinking coffee I tried all the ways, and they all tasted terrible, so I eventually settled on black. Only later did I start liking coffee. I guess it's an acquired taste...

Tags
cream