"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
(My latest dumb trick--bought a carton of sour cream and a package of cream cheese on Tuesday, and left it in the truck til I discovered it this morning. It was only 100 degrees yesterday--think I should throw it away? )
There is no way I would even think of keeping it... But then, you can hand me a carton of fresh milk, if you ask me if it's spoiled it will smell bad to me. I have a smelling "blind spot" when it comes to milk products.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
Head Chef

I think it's worth remembering that fermented milk products are very ancient foods and have been around long before refrigeration and very often in the hottest climates of India and Persia, simply because they are ways to extend the useful life of the milk. What you get depends on the species of bacteria that dominate. The desirable ones are desirable on account of the taste and texture they produce. The bad ones are bad because they taste bad. (Although what tastes "good" and "bad" can be far from universal.)

Once the native lactose in the milk has been consumed and lactic acid produced, the product is pretty stable. Mass-produced products begin with pasteurization to kill any native bacteria before the working bacteria are added. So there's not much undesirable bacteria left and not much food left for any bacteria. Yogurt is produced at about 112F, so being left in a hot car for a while is not going to do much to something where the lactic acid production has already run its course.

Cream cheese and sour cream are produced in similar ways and are similarly stable, although cheeses may suffer in physical ways under heat.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

[QUOTE=PrincessFiona60;1166165]There is no way I would even think of keeping it... But then, you can hand.
Ask James--I say the same thing all the time! If you ask me to smell the milk, it is going to smell bad! Milk is one of those things I love to drink, but it isn't something you want to smell. (Edited to add: For some reason my cursor is jumping all over and it wiped out the last part of your quote. Weird!)

Tags
yogurt