Would you say quiche is a 'light' meal or a 'heavy' meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparkly77

Cook
Just curious as to what others think. I tend to think of quiche as somewhat 'heavy' because it consists mainly of eggs, cream, cheese and shortcrust pastry (lots of butter), plus whatever vegetables/meats are used. I tend to serve it with salad, but if we have visitors I make sure there are other side dishes too and a loaf of fresh bread - homemade of course :chef:.

And if I am making dessert to go with it (for a dinner party) I wouldn't go too rich with it because of the quiche being fairly filling (well, it is for me).

What do others think?

I often serve quiche with just a side salad and consider it a light lunch or dinner. Though I also make mine lighter with a flaky pastry, light cream and cheese and mostly vegetables.

I have served it to guests like this and had favourable comments. Usually I will serve no dessert or something very light like fruit salad or a parfait of some kind.

I've never eaten quiche (because real men don't eat quiche;)), but the egg pies with sausage, cheese, peppers, onions, bacon, and every possible combination you can imagine that I've eaten over the years have always qualified as a "heavy meal" because of their heartiness. A side of toast and maybe a fruit cup are all that's required to keep you going for hours.

I consider it a light meal, yes. With salad and bread, definitely satisfying and wonderful, but I still think of it as "light". Nothing at all wrong with that.

My idea of a "heavy" ("hearty"), meals would be something like lamb shanks braised in red wine with lentils, or Beef Wellington, or prime rib. I can only eat a very small portion of those things because they are so ..... "heavy". :rolleyes:

Lee

I usually fill mine with lots of veggies and lean meat, like turkey, so I consider it a light entree. With a side salad and crusty bread, with fruit for dessert, it's a great light meal :)

I guess it depends on who you're serving it to + what's in it. I've had very light cheese/vegetable quiches & others that were definitely heavier with crumbled sausage, diced ham, etc., etc.

It's sort of like the difference between a big plain green salad & a big Chef's salad.

good comparison, breezy.

i agree it depends on the ingredients.

also, it depends on if you eat a small slice with the salad, or the whole pie.

I'm with Breezy and Bucky ... it depends who will be eating it. If it's just DH and I, then it's a heavier meal (because it's only split between 2) and I serve it with salad. If I make it for company, it becomes lighter as it's split more ways. I tend to still go with a salad and then make some asparagus along side as well. Our favorite recipe is meatless (onions, mushrooms and swiss cheese) so I will occasionally serve thin sliced ham if I know there are big eaters joining us. For desert, I go with a fresh fruit plate with yogurt and honey to drizzle over the top or if it's dinner, with chunks of nice chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom