Yogurt Varieties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bj follmer-weirich

Assistant Cook
I see many reciepts using greek yogurt. What is the difference between regular yogurt (aka: Yoplait) vs 'greek' yogurt? Is one better than the other. Is one better to cook with? :chef:

Greek Yogurt is thicker and creamier. I also find it to be less tart. If a recipe calls for Greek Yogurt it would be best to use it since the consistency is thicker otherwise it's just personal preference.

I am also a Greek yogurt lover....for the very same reasons as Snip. I first bought it several years ago and all other yogurts have been found lacking ever since.

I also made yogurt for my first time not so long ago. The Greek yogurt cultures have a different kind of bacteria in them than other yogurt. I'm sure that contributes to the flavor and possibly the thickness.

Kathleen, you make Greek Yogurt by straining your regular yogurt. Put it in a colander (I line mine with a tea towel--not terry) over a bowl and leave it in the fridge overnight. I make mine with whole milk and some Dannon plain yogurt for starter.

As far as I know, it is the same culture.

I have fallen in love with Greek yogurt! I don't have a lot of brands available to me, but I love Chobani. It is more expensive than the yogurts I used to buy, but it has more protein, calcium, etc., and less sugar.

Kathleen, you make Greek Yogurt by straining your regular yogurt. Put it in a colander (I line mine with a tea towel--not terry) over a bowl and leave it in the fridge overnight. I make mine with whole milk and some Dannon plain yogurt for starter.

As far as I know, it is the same culture.

My yogurt could have used some extra straining but the kind of bacteria used also makes a difference in both texture and flavor. I got my cultures from Cultures for Health, which has an excellent article and chart on what kind of bacteria are used in several different kinds of yogurts. I specifically went to them because I specifically wanted the flavor that I found in FAGE yogurt. Then I discovered their bacteria are the same as in FAGE brand yogurt.

I've used this company for several of their offered starters. Their Kefir culture was terrific although it has been slow in reproducing enough to share.

I was fortunate to find a very old yogurt maker at a second hand shop. I wonder how accurate the temperatures are in it, but think it kept the temps consistent.

Last edited:
And if you strain it longer you get yogurt cheese :)
Yogurt cheese makes a good low fat substitute for sour cream.
I used to make yogurt from powdered milk. My yogurt always came out grainy looking. Years later I found out that you need some fat in the yogurt to avoid the graininess. It still tastes great. Some folks put gelatin in the yogurt to get a firmer set but like the others I prefer to strain the yogurt.

I can't stand Greek yogurt by itself but it definitely has its culinary use and there is no good substitute. As for eating plain, I'll stick with my sugar-free vanilla yogurt..

I really like Greek yogurt when I can get it. But, then, I mostly use yogurt as an ingredient rather than just eating it (although with some honey my favorite local beekeeper sells me it's pretty darned good). My favorite use is with a third to half of mayo, and fresh garden herbs in the summer, in the winter Penzey's peppercorn or green goddess spices. Much, much better than any bottled salad dressing, great on a baked potato or as a dip.

Back
Top Bottom