Your favorite cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
What's your favorite cheese? "Just bite off a hunk and enjoy" cheese, not "cooking with" cheese?

I usually am a toss up between colby and munster, but I really think it's ultimately going to be swiss.

I'm a great fan of Brie. I love it at room temperature with some mild crackers.

Beyond just eating out of the fridge, I love it baked with brown sugar and walnuts. Yum.

Buck and I used to go to a wonderful restaurant called the Yellow Brick Bank in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. They had a fabulous appetizer of Brie and walnuts that knocked our socks off.

Real French munster is a treat. It's worlds different from the supermarket stuff. I love it with a baguette and some sausage.

Bite off a hunk and eat? I'm a big fan of pepper jack.
In general? Marscapone, just because there are a trillion things I do with it.

Prima donna - a type of Gouda, otherwise a nice piece of Edam is delightful. Cheddar is extremely hard to beat. If I can eat it with something, like a strawberry, Brie.

But then Baby Bel, Laughing Cow (with an apple) and Kraft singles (with either grapes or cherry tomatoes) will always have a place in my heart come snack time.

I love so many cheeses, and i will occasionally remove a chunk and munch it from almost any cheese, including veined cheeses, and parmesano regiano, asiago, and romano pecorino. But my all-time favorite is Balderson Heritage Cheedar, aged 5 years. You can't eat a bunch of it as it is very strong, but then again, it only takes a couple of small bites to satisfy.

If I want just ahunk of cheese to munch on, then colby is my favorite snackin' cheese, with a stick of pepperoni along side. Yum.

Oh, and if you do a search, you will find a similar thread with a host of responses.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I am with Bilb on the gouda. I also like some of the soft ripe cheeses.

Last edited:
Sharp cheddar. I always have some, so it must be my favorite.
And yes, I have been known to break off a chunk to eat without grabbing for anything else....

This is pretty much an impossible question for me since I have yet to meet a cheese - any cheese - that I haven't liked in some capacity. At this point in life, I think the only cheese I enjoyed as a child but don't care for much now is the Norwegian "Gjetost", which I find much too sweet as an adult.

I love them all - from cheddar to Limburger & back again. (I'd sell any relatives I don't like if Liederkranz would come back again - lol!!) But I guess, just off the top of my head (& I know I could come up with DOZENS more), the following are my favorite "grab a hunk for a snack" cheeses:

Kashkavel - a salty sheep's milk cheese.
Kasseri - ditto.
(Both of the above are excellent cheeses to pair with some good marinated olives & a few canned stuffed grape leaves with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Talk about an ultra snack!!)
Wisconsin Brick - must be a real authentic Wisconsin Brick cheese to qualify.
Queso Fresco with Jalapeno Pepper - used to be able to get this at a local supermarket until recently - boo hoo!!!
Aged Gruyere - nothing beats a good aged Gruyere; solid, satisfying, & nutty.

No, unfortunately they don't (although I continue to check whenever I'm in there).

The only store that used to carry it around here was Food Lion, but they haven't had it in months.

Oooh - just remembered another favorite, especially at this time of year:

Any blue-veined cheese (Maytag, Gorgonzola, Stilton, etc.) with slices of very ripe, juicy, pear & a glass of nice ruby Port. Yum.

Trader Joe has this "sandwiched" cheese, with Cheddar on the top and bottom and Stiltson in the middle, that I am rather fond of.

Like Breezy, there is no way I could pick just one. Cheese is one of my favorite foods and there are so many different types that I love. Just to throw one out that no one has said yet, but not necessarily my "favorite" is Jarlsberg. I grew up with this stuff and love it. I enjoy a nice big chunk of it or thin slices of it or melted on a bagel with some lox. Each way tastes different to me and I love all of them.

I have tried alot of different cheeses in my life and I have enjoyed probably 99% of
them. I have a weeny dog that justs loves cheeses.n his favorite food though is
peanut butter. but I havent found a cheese that he won`t eat.

First Maytag Blue second good wisconsin aged brick ( almost Limburger ) Third Ferry vill Wisconsin Colby. I have yet to meet a cheese I did not like

:)I love all cheeses american and foreign I dont have a favorite as I love what ever comes along.I have had some Bulgarian Feta that is by far better than American and other foreign. I order from Igourmet.com to get the great ones and yet I dont mind Velveeta at times either.

Back
Top Bottom