Ziploc Omelets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rats, what a buzzkill, Andy:-p :) . It sure sounded like kids would have loved this.

And 13 minutes is 'way too long for anything but rubber eggs. If you want to do it--and I thought it would be a good camping idea--you could use FoodSaver bags. But DEFINITELY a shorter time, at least for my taste.

Hi everyone,
I did make these omelets, as I said, and cooked them for the 13 minutes. They were perfect, not rubbery at all.

Regarding boiling the food in the bags, I don't think carcinogens are the problem, I think it could be a possible melting problem. They also say not to roast with them . However, you can put them in the microwave. Sooo, I think I'll still make these with my kiddos.

Lyndalou

lyndalou said:
Hi everyone,
I did make these omelets, as I said, and cooked them for the 13 minutes. They were perfect, not rubbery at all.

Regarding boiling the food in the bags, I don't think carcinogens are the problem, I think it could be a possible melting problem. They also say not to roast with them . However, you can put them in the microwave. Sooo, I think I'll still make these with my kiddos.

Lyndalou

Glad it worked.
The carcinogen problem was actually a direct quote from the ZipLoc manufacturers but like many of these warnings you would probably have to eat them 8 times a day for 1000 years. It would definitely not survive roasting and also typical of manufacturers warnings, who have to account for any dim witted thing someone might do--OR someone might think they are the same as a roasting bag.

Manufacturers in general try to hide any deficiencies in their products. For one to say "do not boil these bags", there must be a good reason!

Is it that hard to make scrambled eggs in a pan?

I'd just say that, no, it isn't that hard to make an omelet in a pan--for one or two. I think this is a really cute idea for a camping or picnic trip for a group. Each one can make what they want and then a number of them can be cooked at one time. And cleanup is not only easy but "to each his own". I think the manufacturers do have to do a CYA--and there is undoubtedly a modicum of truth to it. But so is the carcinogens in grilling meat on charcoal, and I'll bet not many of us have stopped doing that. ;o)

Andy M. said:
Manufacturers in general try to hide any deficiencies in their products. For one to say "do not boil these bags", there must be a good reason!
I was about to say the same thing, Andy! The other is that,,, one thing we're learning about carcinogens... and for some the awful, hard way, is that every body does not react to them in the same way. For me, I might be able to do it once a week all my life and never get cancer, for someone else, it might only take once == or twice. When the mfg tells you don't, it's a good idea to listen.

Oh please - not this old chestnut again!! This "plastic bag omelette" thing has been making the internet rounds for several years now, & if you have any sense you WON'T DO IT!!

Not only are the plastic food storage bag manufacturers probably getting tired of e-mailing people back telling them for the umpteenth time that their products are NOT meant to be used for cooking - either in boiling water or the microwave, but just take a minute to think about this. If it was safe, don't you think the plastic food storage bag people would be advertising this like all get out???!!!???

Use a little common sense - & your omelette pans for that matter. The novelty of cooking a couple of eggs in a plastic bag isn't worth jeopardizing your health - or you kids' health. And exactly what are you teaching them by using a cooking method that the manufacturer is saying without a doubt is bad for you?

Well.now that many of you have come close to putting me in the moron category, I will repeat. I have a ziploc box in front of me and there are microwave instructions on it. You can defrost and reheat in the bags. I am not about to ever jeapordize my grandkids health for any reason, and don't appreciate people who don't know me assuming that I would do such a thing.

This may be old to you, but it was a new idea to me, and i thought it would be fun to share it. It is not just scrambling eggs, it actually forms an omelet, but i guess that wouldn't interest you.

Obviously, I was wrong. Guess I'll think twice before I post anything again.
Lyndalou

Lyndalou, with the exception of one particular post, I don't think anyone was trying to say that you're a moron. Because the threads and posts on here are so readily accessible by both guests and search engines, I think they were just trying to discourage those reading the thread whose cooking skills are sub-par, and may take the plastic bag method as an end-all way too cook other things in order to cut down on clean up, etc. There are many cooks out there who really don't understand even basic concepts, and who knows? They might conclude that if you can cook an omelet in a ziploc bag, you might be able to make a pot roast in one too.

Lyndalou no one is calling you a moron and no one is saying you would ever do anything to jeopardize anybody.

This topic has come up many times before on the internet and it is simply not safe. It says so right on the Ziplock website.
Can I boil in Ziplock brand bags?
No. Ziplock Brand bags are not designed to withstand the extreme heat of boiling.

Please do not take these warnings as people calling you a moron. That is not the case at all. They are simply concerned that you are going off some bad information that is circulating around the internet and they care about you and do not want to see you get sick.

Lyndalou - I certainly do not put you into a moron catagory!

The problem is that not all plastic bags are made of the same material - some are safe for some applications while others are not. Let's take just one brand - they have zipper sandwich bags, zipper freezer bags, and baking bags. They are made from different materials that are safe for their intended purpose ... but not designed for other uses. What may be safe to reheat something in a microwave for 3-4 minutes might chemically breakdown after 8-10 minutes ... and same goes with boiling in them. Vacuum freezer bags are made from yet another type of plastic and, most of them, are safe for making boil-n-bag pouches - but you have to read the labels for each brand to see which are or are not safe. Plastic cling wraps also vary in materials, thickness, and uses - but you never see those things mentioned on the boxes! You got to be a die-hard food chemistry geek to find out some of this stuff.

There are a LOT of food related things posted on the Internet that are not safe ... (dishwasher "canning" is one of the things on the top of my "fingernails across the blackboard" catagory) just be glad you belong to a community of people that care about you and brought up the issue ... even if maybe not in the most delicate or elequent way.

Last edited:
LOL Lyn, my kids loved soft cooked eggs turned out into a bowl of cubed bread and butter and stirred around a bit, with a bit of s&p. AND they still do. The youngest is mid 20s. I taught them all to makes omlettes early on, that way they have a meal wherever they are. I do wish the zip lock thing worked though, I love things like that even if I don't do it. It is the first time I ever heard of it. ;Þ

aren't there special bags to use in the oven... couldn't an omlet conceivably be done in one of these? I know that they cost but if it were a special treat then I would think it would work with those...

:) Personally I would not cook anything in any plastic not even in the micro wave no bowls no nothing even if I have frozen foods in plastic I take it out and put it in a micowave safe glass container.There was a recipe posted using saran wrap to wrap ribs in and then tin foil and baking in oven.I remember a few posters nixing that idea and I totally agree.I think plastic is good for one thing storage and freezing.

I have boxes of both Ziploc and Hefty Bags in front of me. The Ziploc box includes the following information:
Defrost & Reheat -- Vent Bag 1"
CAUTION: For use in microwave, place
bag on a "microwave-safe" dish. Handle with
care. Bag and contents may be hot. Do not
overheat contents as bag may melt.

The box for the Hefty OneZip Bags is more specific:
MICROWAVE INSTRUCTIONS
For Defrosting and Reheating Foods:
Place bag on a "microwave safe" plate
or dish. Open slider at least 1 inch to
vent air. Do not overheat food or bag
may melt and break. Not for roasting,
baking or boiling.

In view of those instructions, especially the need to open the bag a bit and the cautions about not heating them too much and not using them for roasting, boiling, or baking, I'd avoid cooking in these bags, especially considering the possibility of ingesting some of the vaporized plastic. That can't be good for anyone, and especially not for kids. :sick:

BreezyCooking said:
Oh please - not this old chestnut again!! This "plastic bag omelette" thing has been making the internet rounds for several years now, & if you have any sense you WON'T DO IT!!

Not only are the plastic food storage bag manufacturers probably getting tired of e-mailing people back telling them for the umpteenth time that their products are NOT meant to be used for cooking - either in boiling water or the microwave, but just take a minute to think about this. If it was safe, don't you think the plastic food storage bag people would be advertising this like all get out???!!!???

Use a little common sense - & your omelette pans for that matter. The novelty of cooking a couple of eggs in a plastic bag isn't worth jeopardizing your health - or you kids' health. And exactly what are you teaching them by using a cooking method that the manufacturer is saying without a doubt is bad for you?

You know, there are several ways of saying this without making a person feel as though they were stupid. Most of the time, people use common courtesy, and not judge someone for what they do, but, give them an alternative to try.

Try oven roasting bags they are also designed for high heat, but don't twist tie the bag shut. I have used them to cook freezed dried meals while backpacking, they are great

I've only been briefly on & off these boards lately due to illness in my immediate family, so didn't until now realize I had a plethora of personal messages pertaining to this thread.

First off - I want to sincerely apologize to Lyndalou for offending her. There, frankly, is no excuse for my tone except for the fact that it was not meant maliciously, but rather born from having heard of this egg-cooking method about a bazillion times recently. I myself contacted the plastic bag people & they said they didn't recommend it.

I really just didn't want someone doing this over & over for the novelty of it, not realizing that they might be compromising their health. I went about that in the wrong way on many levels, & I truly & most sincerely apologize for it - not only to the original poster, but to everyone & anyone else who took offense at my post.

cjs said:
For those of you who would like to try this - there is a safe and easy way to do so.

IF, you have a FoodSaver vaccuum sealer - those 'pouches' are made to be used in simmering not boiling water and it would work great!

I have done this and many other things with my food saver.

Does anyone have warnings/results?

Back
Top Bottom