"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
Head Chef

Since the book is just days away, I mixed a whole master dough recipe and have it fermenting in the fridge in its new green home. But before i mixed it up I took 1# of dough and shaped it into a boule to be baked in the round La Cloche.

I left some dough behind and mixed it with the new dough and 1 Cup of my starter.

30min covered + 10 minutes uncovered at 450 F gave up a beautiful little loaf to be eaten with the Italian Wedding Soup tonight.

Where's that mailman.....? I want my book.....

Old 12-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Joe, I baked my first loaf of the Master Recipe today. My first attempt at making yeast bread of any kind. (Finally got up the nerve and confronted my fear)... The crust and crumb are out of this world. I will cut back on the salt some, but it is a keeper for sure. The second loaf should taste better than the first. I can hardly wait. If I had known it was going to be this good, I would have had some good cheese in the house to eat with it. I love a good artisan bread with cheese.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni1948 View Post
Joe, I baked my first loaf of the Master Recipe today. My first attempt at making yeast bread of any kind. (Finally got up the nerve and confronted my fear)... The crust and crumb are out of this world. I will cut back on the salt some, but it is a keeper for sure. The second loaf should taste better than the first. I can hardly wait. If I had known it was going to be this good, I would have had some good cheese in the house to eat with it. I love a good artisan bread with cheese.
Congratulations Toni! Yeah, that's some pretty tasty bread, and it gets pretty addictive. Don't forget a bottle of wine with the cheese for a truly memorable dining experience.

Regarding the salt, if you use table salt, cut that back to 2-1/2 teaspoons if you are making a full recipe. If you are making a half recipe at a time, use 1-1/4 teaspoons of table salt. Table salt weighs more that Kosher salt (which is hollow), so you need to reduce the volume to maintain the same weight and percentage of salt. Here's what it looks like based on the Master Dough full recipe:

1-1/2 T of Kosher salt = .64 oz (2% of the weight of the flour)

1-1/2 T of Table salt = 1.13 oz (3.8% of the weight of the flour)

So, if you used table salt and your bread tasted salty, this is the reason.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Old 12-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
Head Chef

Salt is necessary so bread will not taste flat and it helps retard the overgrowth of yeast, but I also find that I can get away with less salt in bread. James Beard, for example, liked 2 Tablespoons and I thought his recipes needed a lot of adjustment. I almost always use scant amounts and I never miss it in the bread that I bake.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Oh how I wish I could make yeast breads! Every time I try it turns out hard and I can't get the dough to rise! Any suggestions anyone??
Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
Head Chef

Several things--either your yeast is too old or you killed it with water that is too hot or by over heating the dough while kneading too long or too high a speed with your mixer. Then, you may be overbaking the loaf if it comes out hard as a rock.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:28 PM   #17
Head Chef

Joe, I am awaiting all my supplies to try to make the NYTimes bread. I will let you know what I think.

I was hoping to hear whether you liked the sour taste that develops over time with your latest experiment.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I didn't know you could over-kneed. How would I be able to tell if I've kneeded it too much?
Old 12-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #19
Head Chef

If you are kneading with a kitchenaid type mixer, over time the motor gets hot and that could kill the yeast in your dough. It is why you don't knead too long and then, finish kneading by hand. The same can happen in a food processor--the motor gets too hot and can kill the yeast if you knead too long.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I kneed by hand

Tags
None