Applesauce Oatmeal Quick Bread Recipe, TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Applesauce Oatmeal Quick Bread
1 1/4 c. flour
1 c. applesauce
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. plain yogurt
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

½ tsp ground ginger (optional)
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
1 1/2 c. oats (I used old fashioned and got a chewier, heartier loaf. A quick cooking oat/instant oats would give you a more tender, lighter bread)
1 c. dark seedless raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.

In a bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. In a second bowl, mix together applesauce, yogurt, and eggs until well blended. Add wet ingredients into dry. Mix until well blended. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center of the bread comes out clean, covering top with foil if it browns too quickly. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.

I was pleased at how well it turned out since I was just throwing together what I had in an effort to use up some applesauce! I made it yesterday and the loaf is almost all gone already. :)

Your recipe sounds really tasty. I love recipes like yours, made with items that I already have. I think I will put in a few chopped walnuts, too. Thanks.

PA Baker, thanks for sharing your recipe. I might just have to try to make this tomorrow. I have everything the recipe calls for, but the yogurt. Oh, well I need to go to the store tomorrow to buy the local paper anyway.

OK, I know this is an oldie and PA hasn't been here in ages. Can anyone else help me out? I'm going to use up about 1.25 cups of yogurt that is about to expire. Think I can use it all instead of the applesauce? I don't have applesauce except in the little lunch cups that my kids like.

My thought was, I'd put the oats and yogurt together and let it soften a bit, then mix the rest of the wet ingredients in. Add the dry and mix til incorporated. I'm using craisins as well instead of raisins. Thoughts?

OK, I know this is an oldie and PA hasn't been here in ages. Can anyone else help me out? I'm going to use up about 1.25 cups of yogurt that is about to expire. Think I can use it all instead of the applesauce? I don't have applesauce except in the little lunch cups that my kids like.

My thought was, I'd put the oats and yogurt together and let it soften a bit, then mix the rest of the wet ingredients in. Add the dry and mix til incorporated. I'm using craisins as well instead of raisins. Thoughts?

I'd swipe the kids apple sauce. Just tell them they have sacrificed their snack for a new and improved snack. Either way is a winner.

Thank you for your support!

Love Mom :ROFLMAO:

I'd swipe the kids apple sauce. Just tell them they have sacrificed their snack for a new and improved snack. Either way is a winner.

Thank you for your support!

Love Mom :ROFLMAO:

LOL! Its blueberry flavored though. I'll go see if there are any plain ones left.

PA, I have everything but the yogurt. What do you suggest as a proper substitution if any? Thanks.

Since no one has replied yet. I add a dash of lemon juice to milk and let it thicken for a few minutes. It works when you need a sub for buttermilk or yogurt but only in baking.

Snip, good answer but its a little late. I resurrected a REALLY old thread. This baby is 5 years old.

Just a note regarding commercial applesauce -- yesterday I was in a 'dollar store' and noticed some 4-packs of applesauce, I would guess meant for school lunches. When I buy the jarred sauce for a recipe, I nearly always have to toss the extra sauce after it grows green stuff sitting on the back fridge shelf. So I thought the small individual packs might be a good resource for my pantry. But the second ingredient listed after apples was high fructose corn syrup, so I discarded the idea. Maybe another brand would be more healthful - this needs further research on my part. I know, I know - I should eat what's left in the jar before it's ruined. My bad.

Mott's applesauce is unsweetened. The blueberry stuff I have says: Apples, water, apple puree, vegetable juice for color (carrot), blueberry puree, natural flavor and ascorbic acid. Each cup of sauce = 1 serving of fruit.

I didn't have time to make this yesterday as I got bogged down with cleaning (YUCK!) so it is happening today. I'll post results.

OK, I used basics from this recipe, but adapted it too much to have it be part of this thread. See here for my revision. I'll post how it tasted in an hour or so!

Back
Top Bottom