"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-29-2004, 10:08 PM   #1

Are Sunbeam Mixmasters?

I was just reading through the instruction manual for the new Sunbeam mixmasters.
I was checking on Dough making and was left absolutely flabbergasted to read that after the dough forms a ball you have to then HAND knead for 10-15 minutes.

Are they serious? Why buy a machine so you can have the priviledge of hand kneading for 15 minutes.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:28 PM   #2
Head Chef

Darned good question, WayneT!

I'm also a breadmaker and couldn't agree more with the simplistic approach you and oldcoot have taken. And I've followed...and copied and pasted...your entire bread success thread. Thank you for the insight there.

When it comes to mechanical kneading, I have yet to be failed by my bread machine. The ONLY thing I use it for is to mix and knead the dough, then go through the first rise cycle. After that, I restart the entire cycle to re-knead, then remove, form into loaves into REAL bread pans, allow to rise and bake in my own oven. Best of all, I can load the ingredients the night before, then set the machine in time for that first rise to be completed by the time I awaken. From there, I'm no more than 2 hours away from fresh bread.

Even though I have a KitchenAid mixer on steroids, I cannot imagine using it to make bread at the rate I do (3-4 times a week). To me, it just seems like too much strain on the motor. Regardless of its wattage, performance rating and ability, I'd rather stretch out its use as a mixer over the next 15 years.

Just my two cents worth. More than anything, thanks for the bread thread! Thanks also for taking responsibility for the humor threads, too!!! (Someone had to do it, you know.)

Old 09-29-2004, 10:33 PM   #3
Master Chef

Wow, that does suck swampwater, big time!

Obviously it just doesn't have the power to do the kneeding. If it's not too late to take it back - take it back and get a KitchenAid! Even a 5-qt Artisan model will kneed the dough for you.

Unlike Audeo - I only bake bread once or twice a week ... I have a 6-qt Pro KitchenAid - and I let it do all the work for me. That's why I bought it.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:46 PM   #4
Head Chef

Michael, I also have the 525 watt pro. What exactly is your take on the durability? Am I just paranoid (God, I LOVE my mixer!!!), or can this motor really handle the rate?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Wow, that does suck swampwater, big time!

Obviously it just doesn't have the power to do the kneeding. If it's not too late to take it back - take it back and get a KitchenAid! Even a 5-qt Artisan model will kneed the dough for you.

Unlike Audeo - I only bake bread once or twice a week ... I have a 6-qt Pro KitchenAid - and I let it do all the work for me. That's why I bought it.

I haven't actually purchased the Sunbeam yet. My Braun K1000 is just about ready for replacement and I have been checking out the Kitchen Aid, Kenwood and then the Sunbeam. I have been searching around for info on the capacity of the different mixers as my basic dough is about 2.25 kilos/4.5lb. with liquids added etc. This is when I stumbled upon a Sunbeam Instruction Manual and the rest is history.I like the big Kitchen Aids but in Australia the price is sky high.Even for the smaller ones.

I will look out for a second hand one. A replacement motor has not been investigated for my Braun but it is a pain in the neck cleaning wise.

Below is a quote from the Sunbeam Manual

Quote:
Step 2: Preparing the dough
Note: Ensure dough hooks are in place (refer
to page 5).
1.Place the dry ingredients into the
Mixmaster bowl and attach onto the base.
Turn the speed control dial to speed 1 and
begin to gradually add the liquid
ingredients to the bowl.
Note: You may find it useful to use a
rubber or plastic spatula to scrape the dry
ingredients from the side of the bowl
during the kneading process. Do not use
the spatula near or directly behind the
dough hooks. Use only a rubber or plastic
spatula and keep it well away from the
moving parts.
Safety Tip: Do not attempt to feed the
dough into the dough hooks with your
hands, spatula or any other utensil while
the mixer is plugged into a power outlet or
in operation.
2.As the ingredients start to form a ball,
scrape down the sides of the bowl if
necessary with a plastic spatula and
remove your dough.
Safety Tip: Do not use the mixer near the
edge of a bench or table top where it may
fall off.
3.Depending on what recipe you are making,
generally you will need to manually finish
the kneading of your dough. Place dough
onto a well floured work bench or surface
and knead until dough is smooth and
elastic. This should take approximately 10-
15 minutes.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
Senior Cook

what a waste of money!
Old 09-30-2004, 11:24 AM   #7
Everymom

Clearly I have never read my manual. :oops: I just toss my dough in and walk away until the timer beeps. Works for me.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:24 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Bread machines are blasphemous.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:37 PM   #9
Everymom

Not a bread machine jasonr, a mixmaster.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:31 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Wayne, we have a Kitchen Aid - not sure of the model, but it is jst the usual home variety. It can easily handle the quantity of dough to which you refer - including kneading. To my B/W, the attraction was its versatility, as she is not into bread making - that's my department recently.

Here in the States it cos (as I recall) t about $240 U.S. If they are substantially more expensive in Australia, why hot have afriend here buy one for you and ship it? Unless customs is involved, that might be a more economical way to go.

Personally, since I have lately been working with softer doughs, and getting desired results most of the tiem, I don't find hand kneading that onerous - in fact I kind of enjoy it. So about half the time Idon't use the KA at all.

(STUPIDITY DEPT: A few months ago I thought our old KA - some twenty years old - was getting very noisy and about to fail, so dashed out and bought a new one - same model. The new one turned out to be just as noisy - not a darned thing wrong with the old one. B/W gave it away to a friend!!!_
But I realize that with the stiffer doughs kneading does become a real chore, so I don't blame you for looking for mechanization.

Tags
None