"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 04-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Since you put it that way I agree with you.
[QUOTE]Know your dough!

Old 04-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Hi Andy M and jpmcgrew:

If I understand you properly jpmcgrew, you mix your ingredients till you get a stiff but not dry dough "somewhat firm but not sticky" - jpmcgrew and AndyM you say "Proof to less than double in size" and "Proof again for 20-30 minutes". Then there is "oven thermometer, ...corn meal" and "...double pans". Oh yes and there was also mention of "barley malt" - jpmcgrew

Well this is what I am going to try out:

1. Proofing: I will proof for 15 to 20 minutes, then
  2. Forning: I will form into bagels and lay on cornmeal to proof (until less than twice in size - I'm a bit uncertain right about here jbmcgrew as you didn't mention a time, which I understand that, as I worked in a bakery for a while and know that the amount of time you proof something depends on how quickly you can do everything else, so I will estimate 20 minute to half an hour), (I also would like to take note here, that when I proof something it is usually at a temperature of approximately 80 F)
  3. Boiling: Immediatly after proofing I will boil about 30 minutes per side.
  4. Cooking: Right after this, In the oven 425 F for about half an hour give or take 5 minutes, with double baking sheets, (I use jelly roll pans).

Happy Easter,

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Actually recipe is real important in baking you can tweek a little here and there.I think you are thinking of cooking.

As they say baking is science, cooking is art.
Quote:
Since you put it that way I agree with you.
Know your dough!
Know your dough...

Aad Sach Sing

- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
Old 04-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Did you just say boil 30 minutes per side?I hope not thats way too long.
As for telling if they are proofed enough just drop a bagel when you think it's getting close it should start to float in less than 30 seconds then let boil a few more seconds and take out of water.By the way the cornmeal stuck on the bottom of your bagels when proofing will actually do something in the boil water to give you a nice shiny crust.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #15
Senior Cook

There seems to be a problem with the site, as I was informed that you left me a post and I don't see anything on the site except in the tree that tells me there are "More replies below current depth..." whatever that means???

I will report it to the section leader...

Maybe you could repost your reply or something...

Thanks

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #16
Executive Chef

The post is up on my computer.Hit the refresh button F5.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:27 PM   #17
Senior Cook

jpmcgrew

Nope that doesn't work - the refresh F5. The last message you sent me was here when I loged on. I looked at it for a few seconds, didn't read it all, (the part about boiling for 30 minutes , please replace minutes with seconds. I will say no more on that subject.) Anyway there is something funny happening with the board. I have sent a message to GB, hope he or someone else can figure it out.

I just realized that when I am replying to your messages I can scroll down and read your messages from there. Go figure?

Thanks

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I was just about to start production on bagles and bang! work on kitchen counters began. This puts me off my schedule, but once I catch up I will post my results.

Ciao

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Also get an oven thermometer maybe your new oven is running a bit high

Got my oven Thermometer today...

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Hi jpmcgrew;

Looks like this subjuect is just about petered out. Oh well, I got my termometer, I think I told you, but I used it for the first time today. Once in the morning and once this evening.

This morning I was just heating plates and keeping yeasted pancakes warm, 175 F, it was perfect. This afternoon/evening it was for pizza 425 F. It was off (short) by 25. I will probably make one more report. I will start off at 450 F when I make my bagles and let you know...

Ciao

Aad Sach Sing

Tags
None