"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 04-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Bagel problems

I'm not quite sure what is happening with my bagels. I am using a new oven, my old oven, God bless it's soul, had a bunch of fire bricks at the bottom. This one is too new for that, I would have to be more civilized, I believe and get a stone that is made to go in the oven. The are quite a bit thiner but probably just as good.

1. Over Proofing: Anyway, the problem I am having is, I think I may be over proofing my bagels, because when I put them in the water they fall a bit. I that just over proofing do you (all of you) think?
  2. Cooking Unevenly: I also find that they are cooking unevenly. They have a tendency to get a bit darker on the bottom, unless I turn them over. Do you (all of you) think I might be wise to turn down the temperature a bit, or is it better just to turn them over, until I get my stone?

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef

How long are you proofing? If you double the pans you should be able to eliminate the burning on the bottom.Do you put corn meal on the pan before baking?
You should not hafto turn bagels over.Also get an oven thermometer maybe your new oven is running a bit high
I used to test my bagels by dropping one in the water if it floats pretty quick they are ready to boil if it sits a while under the water they are not ready to boil.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I find it works best to proof to less than double in size. Then I form the bagels and allow them to proof again for 20-30 minutes.

How long do you boil them? Do you turn them over in the water?

I bake mine on parchment (no cornmeal) and flip them half way through baking.

There is no reason why you cannot use the fire bricks in the new oven until you get a stone if you think the oven is misbehaving.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Hi jpmcgrew:

You said: How long are you proofing?:
It is the last proof that I am really talking about and that is for a little over 30 minutes, maybe 35.
You said: Double the pans:
Good idea.
You said: Do you put corn meal:
Nope. I"ll give it a try. I have it in stock for making polenta
You said: Oven thermometer
I just shouted over my sholder to my wife to tell her I need an oven Thermometer... Why not, can't hurt. I don't believe there very expensive either? I can do a little search on that
Thanks jpmcgrew

Hi Andy M.

Andy M. said: ...Proof to less than double in size

Way back there you figure?

Andy M. said:...Proof again for 20-30 minutes
Ok, that tells me something. My last proof is probably too long.
Andy M. said:How long do you boil them? Do you turn them over in the water?
I usually boil them for about 30 seconds or so per side.
Andy M. said: There is no reason why you cannot use the fire bricks in the new oven until you get a stone if you think the oven is misbehaving.
I'll show this part of the post to my wife and see what she has to say about it.
Thanks Andy M.

Aad Sach Sing

- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
Senior Cook

This is great that there is so much help on DC Forums.

Thanks everybody.

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

The only remaining question is...

Will you show us your recipe so we can examine it for potential problem areas?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The only remaining question is...

Will you show us your recipe so we can examine it for potential problem areas?

Since I don't believe that it's the recipe that makes the food but the artist/scientist in the chief that adds the creativity to draw his/her creation closer to divinity, I will be more than happy to share my recipe.

Having said all that I do believe that ingredients plays a large roll (or should that be ingredients plays a large bagel). Anyway here goes its a small batch.

425 ml water
11 ml salt
10 ml honey

900 ml flour
11 ml yeast
If you would like more details let me know... Oh yes, I grins my own flour, (i.e. wheat, spelt, kamut - with the spelt I add 6% gluten flour and with the kamut I add 10% gluten flour to compensate for there weakness in gluten.)

Thanks and Take care

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
Executive Chef

You dont need to proof dought before you roll you bagels just let rest 10-15 minutes.Also do you add some high gluten flour to your dough?
Malt syrup is also good in bagel dough.Heres my recipe from a bakery I worked at many years ago
This makes about 120 bagels

1 gallon water
2 cups malt syrup

5 oz salt
1 oz cold water yeast
1/2 flour +1/2 hi-gluten flour

I dont have the amounts of flours because all our doughs,bagel,croissant,danish, breads and so on. we made by feel of the dough as the flour has a tendency to dry out at high altitude

Mix and add flours untill somewhat firm but not sticky

Let rest on bench a few minutes
Then roll out bagels.
Lay on corn meal proof;boil and bake

I used to be so good I could make the dough and roll out 119 -120 bagels in less than an 1/2 hour every day.
Alas that was a long time ago.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Actually recipe is real important in baking you can tweek a little here and there.I think you are thinking of cooking.

As they say baking is science, cooking is art.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Actually recipe is real important in baking you can tweek a little here and there.I think you are thinking of cooking.

As they say baking is science, cooking is art.
The part of baking, that I feel is an art, are the part of being able to see and feel the rightness of the dough. Handling the dough just right. That special frair when it comes to shaping. Etc. Am I being a bit presumptuous by having a smiley with a chefs hat on?

Aad Sach Sing

Tags
None