Bagels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lo2

Assistant Cook
I have searched the forum and did not find anything really.

So here is my request:

I am looking for a recipe on a nice lunch bagel. Anyone got any?

i once made bagels at home, but i found it was too much hassle and didn't compare much to the new york and co brand (and all the rest of those store-made ones) that i've decided to give up on it...it's like making homemade croissants, make me wonder if it's worth the bother...

I make bagels at home regularly. I started that because I can't get a decent bagel here in the suburbs of Boston.

good for you, andy m. i seem to have a heavy hand when it comes to breads...they end up all wrong and i end up depressed. maybe i should start practicing on breadmaking again. although the end product doesn't come up to my expectations (and i'm sure it will just take a little bit of practice and patience to overcome this), the smell of fresh homemade bread in one's home is one of the best in the world. :)

It took me a number of tries to get it right.

As for the smell, just bloom some yeast in warm sugar water...

Well I would like some ideas on what you can put in your bagel. What do you think a nice bagel sandwich should 'contain'. And we are talking Lunch here!

Cream Cheese and smoked salmon with fresh dill

Chicken Bacon Lettuce Tomato Red onion with Cracked Pepper Mayo and a Dill pickle Spear!

Ham and Cheese melt

Bacon Lettuce Tomato and Rach dressing!

Egg Salad

Tuna with a Lime and Cilantro Mayo

Turkey and Roasted Red pepper Jelly

gosh i could go on for ages

Anything you can make as a sandwich can be put on a bagel!

I am about to make my breakfast bagel, but this works for lunch or dinner too. On this one I am putting swiss cheese, whitefish spread, lox, and sliced cukes from the garden.

Andy,

When I was a student, in the 70s, there was a wonderful bagel shop called King Bagel in Brookline. Does it exist any more?

Bagels are, strange to say, one of the things I miss most from America. I love the things. You can find them in Paris, but nowhere near where I live. I even daydreamed about starting up a bagel-making business in France, and you can find machines on the Internet!

Best regards,
Alex R.

AlexR said:
Andy,

When I was a student, in the 70s, there was a wonderful bagel shop called King Bagel in Brookline. Does it exist any more?

Bagels are, strange to say, one of the things I miss most from America. I love the things. You can find them in Paris, but nowhere near where I live. I even daydreamed about starting up a bagel-making business in France, and you can find machines on the Internet!

Best regards,
Alex R.

I don't know. Don't get to that part of the state too often.

Please stick to the theme of this thread which is how to make a nice lunch Bagel (including the fill).

Turkey, thin sliced green apple, basil aioli, field greens

fresh mozz, tomato, ham, s+p, mayo.

There are a million and six different ways I imagine. You are just making a sandwich, on a bagel.

I like a burger on a bagel every now and again.

Last edited:
Dear lo2,

I do not see it as a breach of Netiquette to take a very restrictive thread and take it somewhere else, nevertheless dealing with the main subject.

Best regards,
Alex R.

lo2 said:
Well I would like some ideas on what you can put in your bagel. What do you think a nice bagel sandwich should 'contain'. And we are talking Lunch here!
For me there is nothing better than lox, cream cheese and a slice of red onion! I like to eat mine open faced because the bagel is so heavy it makes the fillings squish out around the bagel. So i get two for the price of one. and I like "everything" bagels the best! :)

Back
Top Bottom