"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 02-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #21
Executive Chef

in light of the fact that these two banana bread recipes, (mama's and ATK's) contain substantially different ingredients, and vary considerably as to the quantities of those ingredients they do have in common, it only stands to reason that they exist as distinct and separate entities, with no discernible connective origin, one to the other.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

The mystery deepens on the link between mama's banana nut bread recipe and the ATK's... lol
I'll take your word for it vit, as I haven't read ATK's recipe.
I do recall mama's recipe being quite simple, something I usually don't find with ATK recipes.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been a subscriber of Cooks Illustrated, published by ATK, for over 10 years. Mama's recipe is based on an older version of ATK's recipe. Their newer Ultimate Banana Bread recipe calls for the use and treatment of frozen bananas as I described above.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was checking to see if I had ever posted my banana bread recipe. I found this post by Mama on the subject of banana bread and ATK What are you baking today?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #25
Executive Chef

shut my mouth. all i can say is, mama's bb recipe sure went through a major transformation by the time it got to me....
Old 02-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
shut my mouth. all i can say is, mama's bb recipe sure went through a major transformation by the time it got to me....
Sorry, but did anyone read my post about freezing, thawing in the microwave, then reserving and reducing the liquid? Just curious about all this confusion.

ATK's recipe changed to the Ultimate several years ago. The one Dawg linked to on her site was the old one. The one TL linked is the newer, Ultimate one.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

The recipe mama emailed or PM'ed me must have been the older recipe she used, before she switched. It only involved pureeing the bananas, two or three I think. Any more banana flavor and I wouldn't like it as well.
Thanks for looking up that post, Taxy.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #28
Master Chef

I'll have to try this new-to-me banana bread recipe. My go-to recipe is also from ATK, but given to us by a member from years past. She was great; the banana bread was great. Here's that link as well. Best Banana Bread I've Ever Had!!! How many great banana bread recipes can there be? Happily, banana plantations are still alive and well.

"Six and seven and eight and bunch!
Daylight come an' me wanna go home..." Doncha just love calypso music.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

There ya go!
This thread could only have been made better with the addition of the banana boat song
Old 02-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #30
Master Chef

Of topic, but did you know that we are opening bananas from the wrong end? There was an article today on Yahoo about 6 foods we eat wrong, I think that is what it was called.

Tags
banana, bread, recipe

Banana nut bread (originally mama's) [url]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=303322[/url] 3 stars 1 reviews