Best Banana Bread I've Ever Had!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Audeo for the recipe I just printed it off just now. I am constantly throwing away bananas that are too mushy to eat........I know I know its a waste ;) But next time I'm going to try this. Did you use the buttermilk or plain yogurt?

Can't Wait to Try It!

I can't wait to try this out on my little guy, bet he makes this his new favorite since it's very similar to my old recipe.

SizzlininIN said:
Thanks Audeo for the recipe I just printed it off just now. I am constantly throwing away bananas that are too mushy to eat........I know I know its a waste ;) But next time I'm going to try this. Did you use the buttermilk or plain yogurt?

Sizz, I used buttermilk (2% fat) and it came out just incredibly well! It really is the best I've ever had. I'm not a big banana fan at all, but I could have easily eaten this whole loaf myself. It has a very warm, mellow taste to it and the texture is very tender and smooth, a small light--but moist--crumb....just fabulous!

I used toasted pecans rather than walnuts and added a small amount (a heaping 1/4 tsp or scant 1/2 tsp) of cinnamon.

I doubled the recipe and made 3 smaller loaves yesterday. They turned out great, but the tops of the breadw were cracked. Should I have expected this? The taste and texture are great.

The top of mine cracked lengthwise just a bit. Most quick breads do. My oven tends to brown things quickly so I rested a piece of foil over the top for the last 15 minutes of baking.

I bought more bananas so I can make it again this weekend--I'm hooked! I'm sticking with pecans--I like them more than walnuts.

Welcome to my very happy nightmare, boys and girls.....you just can't keep enough ripening bananas around the house after finding this one! I've two loaves in the oven as we write!

I thought you guys would enjoy this recipe, too. The two differences in this recipe and any others I have ever made are (1) the use of buttermilk; and (2) the technique of leaving the banana bits in a somewhat chunky mass, instead of almost blending it with the other wet ingredients. And those two differences, in my opinion, are profound.

Happy baking, folks!

Made it, they loved it (me too :D ). For another twist on things (you know me, I just can't leave well enough alone), add four bananas instead of three. The result is almost like a very moist, yet stable banana pudding. But you can spread butter on it, or make it into that classic flavor that all kids try, peanut butter and banana, just by spreading some PB on it.

My 21 year old said, "I could volunteer to take the rest home." I hurriedly kicked him out of the house. I mean, I gave him the leftover turkey carcass for soup. My youngest daughter wasn't happy with that. Turkey and rice soup is one of her all-time favorite meals after Thanksgiving. She moaned that I had broken our tradition.

Of course it was very late and time for him to go home anyway. I need to get some sleep after all.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Went to the store yesterday for all my shopping..........now I just have to wait for these bananas to rippen ;) My luck the little one will suddenly have a desire to eat them before I get a chance.....usually when I buy them he'll eat a few. He used to devore 2 at a time but I think he must of burnt himself out of them. He was like a banana theif. I'd come into the kitchen and the chair would be pulled up to the counter and banana peels screwn all over :)

I was in the kitchen at 10:30 Friday night because I HAD to have some fresh for breakfast on Saturday. I knew I was tired but didn't realize how tired until I started mixing the wet ingredients into the dry and couldn't figure out why the consistency was so different than the last time. Suddenly I realized I'd forgotten to add in the bananas! :shock: Sort of takes away from the banana bread! So I added them in after the fact. The bread was still very good, just a bit less tender and more dense than normal. I won't forget the bananas again! :oops:

Banana Bread is in the oven w/2 minor changes...used pecans...thats what I had...used sourcream..as went to use yogart and although date was good yogart wasn't! I generally like using sourcream so I'm not concerned...I think the mixing changes, chunks of banana, and use of sourcream, yogart or buttermilk which are the changes from my original recipe is what will make the difference.
Will let you know...

Me, too, Elf! I can't wait to hear the result of sub'ing sour cream....

And I would never have thought of adding lemon or orange zest! What a great idea!!! I also agree with using pecans, which I dearly love and have a wealth of right now.

Thanks to all for tweaking this recipe! (And Goodweed, I now always use 3 bananas....! 4 makes an almost pudding texture, huh? Food for near future thought there!)

The verdict is in...Thumbs Up...perfect moist cake, pieces of banana that I can see!!
I believe the sourcream works much like the buttermilk or yogart...adding moisture.
I used 3 lg bananas..just right..I dont see a need for more.
I have seen lemon juice used in other banana bread recipes..I thought it was to keep the banana from turning brown..as it didn't add flavor. Oops I see it was zest that was added...not for me, but why not.
My only addition at times is chocolate chips.. and or shredded coconut but today I was watching my calories!!!

OK I finally got around to making this. I love it!!! It is so moist and banana-y :)

As it was baking my wife looked at me with nervous eyes. She said that she was a little scared. When I asked what she was scared of she told me that she didn't know what she would do if she liked this one better than her moms ;)

Well when she had her first taste, she thought it was great. Her moms is much different. No where near as moist. I think we have a winner!!!

The first time I made this, I used sour cream as I couldn't find any buttermilk at the local supermarket, and didn't feel like buying a huge tub of yougurt for one recipe of banana bread. It turned out very good, except of course for the sunflower-seed flavor.

The reason the buttermilk, yougurt, and sour cream work is that the acid in them reacts with the baking powder. It gives off the carbon dioxide gas that rasies the bread during the cooking process. They all have a sour componant to them (the acid), and help ballance the other sweet ingrediants. The only thing I could imagine that would make a difference between the three is that buttermilk has more water in it. But then, most of that evaporates out anyway.

And as for the number of bananas used, I guess it would depend of the size of the individual fruits. I used three in my last batch as the bananas were large. In my first and second batches, the bananas were about medium size.

And you people are correct about the texture being dependant on the fruit amount. Too much banana will make the end result gooey. But then, that's not always a bad thing either. :D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom