"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-01-2004, 01:21 PM   #21
Master Chef

Thanks Audeo for the recipe I just printed it off just now. I am constantly throwing away bananas that are too mushy to eat........I know I know its a waste But next time I'm going to try this. Did you use the buttermilk or plain yogurt?

Old 12-01-2004, 01:45 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Tasha Send a message via Yahoo to Tasha
Can't Wait to Try It!

I can't wait to try this out on my little guy, bet he makes this his new favorite since it's very similar to my old recipe.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:18 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Thanks Audeo for the recipe I just printed it off just now. I am constantly throwing away bananas that are too mushy to eat........I know I know its a waste But next time I'm going to try this. Did you use the buttermilk or plain yogurt?
Sizz, I used buttermilk (2% fat) and it came out just incredibly well! It really is the best I've ever had. I'm not a big banana fan at all, but I could have easily eaten this whole loaf myself. It has a very warm, mellow taste to it and the texture is very tender and smooth, a small light--but moist--crumb....just fabulous!

I used toasted pecans rather than walnuts and added a small amount (a heaping 1/4 tsp or scant 1/2 tsp) of cinnamon.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:49 AM   #24
Master Chef

Thanks PA!
Old 12-02-2004, 05:51 AM   #25
Head Chef

I doubled the recipe and made 3 smaller loaves yesterday. They turned out great, but the tops of the breadw were cracked. Should I have expected this? The taste and texture are great.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:15 AM   #26
Master Chef

The top of mine cracked lengthwise just a bit. Most quick breads do. My oven tends to brown things quickly so I rested a piece of foil over the top for the last 15 minutes of baking.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:32 AM   #27
Master Chef

Bought some walnuts. Gonna try the real thing tonight! :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:17 AM   #28
Master Chef

I bought more bananas so I can make it again this weekend--I'm hooked! I'm sticking with pecans--I like them more than walnuts.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:50 AM   #29
Head Chef

Welcome to my very happy nightmare, boys and girls.....you just can't keep enough ripening bananas around the house after finding this one! I've two loaves in the oven as we write!

I thought you guys would enjoy this recipe, too. The two differences in this recipe and any others I have ever made are (1) the use of buttermilk; and (2) the technique of leaving the banana bits in a somewhat chunky mass, instead of almost blending it with the other wet ingredients. And those two differences, in my opinion, are profound.

Happy baking, folks!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:33 AM   #30
Master Chef

Made it, they loved it (me too :D ). For another twist on things (you know me, I just can't leave well enough alone), add four bananas instead of three. The result is almost like a very moist, yet stable banana pudding. But you can spread butter on it, or make it into that classic flavor that all kids try, peanut butter and banana, just by spreading some PB on it.

My 21 year old said, "I could volunteer to take the rest home." I hurriedly kicked him out of the house. I mean, I gave him the leftover turkey carcass for soup. My youngest daughter wasn't happy with that. Turkey and rice soup is one of her all-time favorite meals after Thanksgiving. She moaned that I had broken our tradition.

Of course it was very late and time for him to go home anyway. I need to get some sleep after all.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None