"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-05-2004, 11:28 AM   #31
Master Chef

Went to the store yesterday for all my shopping..........now I just have to wait for these bananas to rippen My luck the little one will suddenly have a desire to eat them before I get a chance.....usually when I buy them he'll eat a few. He used to devore 2 at a time but I think he must of burnt himself out of them. He was like a banana theif. I'd come into the kitchen and the chair would be pulled up to the counter and banana peels screwn all over :)

Old 12-05-2004, 07:13 PM   #32
Cook

Send a message via AIM to swinchen Send a message via Skype™ to swinchen
Wanna make this recipe even better?

Add the zest from half a lemon or orange. mmmmmm.

Old 12-05-2004, 10:43 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Swinchen - that sounds incredibly good!!!! I think I would go with the lemon for some reason.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:55 AM   #34
Master Chef

I was in the kitchen at 10:30 Friday night because I HAD to have some fresh for breakfast on Saturday. I knew I was tired but didn't realize how tired until I started mixing the wet ingredients into the dry and couldn't figure out why the consistency was so different than the last time. Suddenly I realized I'd forgotten to add in the bananas! Sort of takes away from the banana bread! So I added them in after the fact. The bread was still very good, just a bit less tender and more dense than normal. I won't forget the bananas again! :oops:
Old 12-11-2004, 12:06 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Banana Bread is in the oven w/2 minor changes...used pecans...thats what I had...used sourcream..as went to use yogart and although date was good yogart wasn't! I generally like using sourcream so I'm not concerned...I think the mixing changes, chunks of banana, and use of sourcream, yogart or buttermilk which are the changes from my original recipe is what will make the difference.
Will let you know...
Old 12-11-2004, 12:09 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
YUM!!! I use sour cream in my banana bread too - can't wait for your review of this one!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #37
Head Chef

Me, too, Elf! I can't wait to hear the result of sub'ing sour cream....

And I would never have thought of adding lemon or orange zest! What a great idea!!! I also agree with using pecans, which I dearly love and have a wealth of right now.

Thanks to all for tweaking this recipe! (And Goodweed, I now always use 3 bananas....! 4 makes an almost pudding texture, huh? Food for near future thought there!)
Old 12-11-2004, 01:58 PM   #38
Senior Cook

The verdict is in...Thumbs Up...perfect moist cake, pieces of banana that I can see!!
I believe the sourcream works much like the buttermilk or yogart...adding moisture.
I used 3 lg bananas..just right..I dont see a need for more.
I have seen lemon juice used in other banana bread recipes..I thought it was to keep the banana from turning brown..as it didn't add flavor. Oops I see it was zest that was added...not for me, but why not.
My only addition at times is chocolate chips.. and or shredded coconut but today I was watching my calories!!!
Old 12-14-2004, 11:33 AM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

OK I finally got around to making this. I love it!!! It is so moist and banana-y :)

As it was baking my wife looked at me with nervous eyes. She said that she was a little scared. When I asked what she was scared of she told me that she didn't know what she would do if she liked this one better than her moms

Well when she had her first taste, she thought it was great. Her moms is much different. No where near as moist. I think we have a winner!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 07:45 AM   #40
Master Chef

The first time I made this, I used sour cream as I couldn't find any buttermilk at the local supermarket, and didn't feel like buying a huge tub of yougurt for one recipe of banana bread. It turned out very good, except of course for the sunflower-seed flavor.

The reason the buttermilk, yougurt, and sour cream work is that the acid in them reacts with the baking powder. It gives off the carbon dioxide gas that rasies the bread during the cooking process. They all have a sour componant to them (the acid), and help ballance the other sweet ingrediants. The only thing I could imagine that would make a difference between the three is that buttermilk has more water in it. But then, most of that evaporates out anyway.

And as for the number of bananas used, I guess it would depend of the size of the individual fruits. I used three in my last batch as the bananas were large. In my first and second batches, the bananas were about medium size.

And you people are correct about the texture being dependant on the fruit amount. Too much banana will make the end result gooey. But then, that's not always a bad thing either. :D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None