"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-30-2004, 10:28 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

My mom makes the best Rugelach aside from my grandma of course. I have never had homemade bialies though. I love them and cannot get a good one here in MA. Anytime we are in NY though we are sure to bring a dozen home.

Old 10-02-2004, 03:02 AM   #12
Cook

Send a message via AIM to GaArt Send a message via Yahoo to GaArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi woman
Personally, when it comes to Rugelach the only one I really like is lekvar - prune! & I just buy the filling ready-made!
I like raspberry.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:06 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to runninduo
GB and/or Marmalady......

WOuld either of you be willing to share your family's rugalech recipes. The native NYer in me misses the "real thing" living here in LA.

Also, out here.....both the bagels and bayalis leave a lot to be desired.

When I go back east, I always have to get my fix. When I lived in NYC, I use to go to H&H all the time. They make the quintessential bagel.....chewy crust......soft center! YUM!
Old 10-10-2004, 11:11 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninduo
GB and/or Marmalady......

WOuld either of you be willing to share your family's rugalech recipes.
Here is my moms (actually I just found out it is grandmas) recipe.

1/2 lb cream cheese
1/2 lb butter
2 cups flour

Filling
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
4T sugar (with some cinnamon as well)

Blend the cream cheese, butter and flour and wrap in wax paper or saran wrap. Refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge and leave at room temp till soft. Sprinkle confectionery sugar on a pastry board. Take 3 inch ball of dough and roll into 9 inch circle 1/16th inch thick. Cut into 9 triangles.

For the filling combine all the filling ingredients and chop together in blender (not too fine). Place 1/2 teaspoon in each triangle. Roll from wide part. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Joey, who told me she used to come here quite some time ago, was good enough to send me the following bialy recipe. I made them yesterday and oh boy! they're good!
Brooklyn Bialy Recipe

Cornmeal
Onion Topping (recipe below)
2 cups war water (ll0-115 degrees)divided
1 package active dry yeast
2 tsp. sugar
2 1/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups bread flour
3 1/2 cups non bleached flour

cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Prepare Onion Topping, set aside.
In a large bowl combine 1/2 c water, yeast and sugar;let stand 10 min. or until foamy. Add rem. 1 1/2 c water, salt, and flours. Knead by hand or with dough hook of mixer for 8 min. until smooth.(The dough will be soft)--I used my kitchenaide dough hook. If you think the dough is too moist, add flour, 1 Tbsp. at a time. If the dough is looking dry and grnarly-add warm water, 1 Tbsp. at a time.
Form dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning to oil all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 1 1/2 hours or until tripled in bulk. Punch dough down in bowl, turn it over, cover with plastic wrap and let rise another 45 min. or until doubled in bulk. On a floured board or counter, punch dough down and roll into a cylinder shape. With a sharp knife, but into 8 rounds. Lay rounds flat on lightly floured board, cover with a towel and let them rest 10 min.Gently pat each round into circles (a little higher in the middle than at the edge), each about 3-4 inches in diameter. Play bialys on prepared baking sheets, cover with plastic warp and let rise an additional 30 min or until increased by about half in bulk. (Don't let them over-rise)
Make an indentation in the centre of each bialy with two fingers of each hand, pressing fromn the centre outward, leaving a 1" rim. Place approx. 1 tsp of onion topping in the hole of each bialy. Dust lightly with flour, cover with plastic and let rise 15 min.
Preheat oven to 425F. Bake on upper and lower shelves of the oven for 6-7 min. then switch pans and reverse postions from front to back and bake another 5-6 min. until bialys are lightly browned.
NOTE: These are soft rolls, and it is important not to bake them too long or they will be very dry. Remove from oven and let cool on racks.
After cooling, immediately place in plastic bags(this will allow the exterior to soften slightly).NOTE: these rolls are best eaten fresh, preferably lightly toasted and smeared with cream cheese. For longer storage, keep in freezer.
Makes 8 bialys.
ONION TOPPING
1 Tbsp ve. or olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. poppy seeds
1/3 c minced onion
1/2 tsp. coarse kosher salt.
In a small bowl, combine oil, poppy seeds, onion and salt; set aside.
ENJOY!!!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Have several recipes for rugalah, but wish I had my gradnma's recipe. If anyone is interested, give a holler. Would love to see your recipes, too. TIA
Old 02-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #17
Executive Chef

[quote=runninduo]The native NYer in me misses the "real thing" living here in LA.

Also, out here.....both the bagels and bayalis leave a lot to be desired./quote]

Same here, runninduo... transplanted New Yawka living in L.A. They just don't do it right here!
Old 02-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #18
Sous Chef

bialys and rugelagh

We here in Toronto are very lucky with our bakeries. But no bialys. Someone tried a few years back but they didn't go. Guess they didn't have the recipe I used!!! LOL Joan Nathan's recipes for rugelah is good I think I remember.

Tags
None