"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Bread flour

Hi all. I was wondering can I use all purpose flour instead of bread flour? I want to make some herb bread tonight and cant get to the store, but the only recipes I can find for herb bread call for bread flour. ( or if someone has a recipe that would be nice to) Thanx.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Yes, you can. It just won't develop quite as much structure from the gluten. I made bread for many years before bread flour was a common find in the supermarket.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Sous Chef

You can make Bread with most flours. Bread flour is high in gluten. I agree with Candocook.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Cool. Thank you both!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:02 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

AP flour can't hold as much liquid as bread flour so you should decrease the amount of water or other liquid to get the same dough texture.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:31 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I prefer to use High Gluten Bread Flour for baking bread. But if you want to bake and you have just all purpose you can still make bread.
Be prepared to add more of less water when you experiment with different types of flour since flours have different absorbency rates, varying from grain to grain and from season to season. The blend or brand of flour you use on a regular basis may vary depending on the moisture in the air the day you make your bread or the growing conditions of the wheat during that particular year. When experimenting with a new type of flour,be prepared to add more water or a bit more flour to a dough to accommodate the variations.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #7
Sous Chef

My psychosis....Here is a recipe for you
Pesant Bread
2-1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
2 cups(warm) water
3-3/4 white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
(please refer to many of the Bread Making Directions on DC or my info on Great Homemade Bread Using Your Food Processor)

This makes one large loaf (King Arthur has a long,deep,bread tin)
Bake 425 oven for 10 minutes Bake 400 oven for 20 additional minutes.
Questions?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:27 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
AP flour can't hold as much liquid as bread flour so you should decrease the amount of water or other liquid to get the same dough texture.
hi Andy

What, in your experience, makes you say that "AP flour can't hold as much liquid as bread flour"?

From what I've experienced making bread baking , AP flour more *readily* absorbs liquid than bread flour. (If you go the long rise route, I don't see any difference in the absorbtion ability of AP vs bread flour).

Always want to learn! TIA - sf
Old 12-15-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

From what I've read, the higher the protein content of the flour, the more water it can absorb.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
Master Chef

I've become obsessed with bread baking recently and I think that Andy is right, but I am not sure that there is a huge difference.

Depending on the mfr. AP flour's gluten content can differ by quite a bit. I am told that King Arthur's, for example, is quite high -- nealry that of some bread flours.

Also, the humidity of your kitchen will affect how much water the flour will absorb, so it's all a sort of guessing game which you need to evaluate as you make the bread.

Tags
None