"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 08-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to Eliza
Bread Machine

Hi!
My family and I are lovers of fresh bread and today, my husband got me a bread machine...

I've just started on a basic white loaf and it's to be baked by 7am tomorrow - hope it turns out well as i can wait to start my hand at the other recipes..

anyone else has a bread machine and like to share your expereinces with bread baking from a bread machine?

Old 08-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I have the Breadman Ultimate that makes the most perfect loaves of bread every time. I have made wheat, white, sourdough, cinnamon and a couple of others with no problems whatsoever. And it's a very quiet machine. I like that the the Breadman makes a horizontal shaped loaf rather than a tall one. I think the tall loaves are awkward and difficult to slice. Good luck with yours. Get yourself a couple of good bread machine cookbooks and this will open a whole new world of bread baking and good eating.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
Cook

Drama_Queen, I know what you mean about the tall loaves...not ideal, but that's what my bread machine makes. It's an older model. My fave thing to make with my bread machine: pizza dough.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I have not used my machine in a while but it makes very good bread. However I started just making the dough(especailly pizza dough) and then cooking it in the oven.

Try making cottage cheese bread. Yummy.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Does anyone have a recipe for a Pane / Italian bread for a bread machine?

Linda
Linda Abend
Old 08-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I have an old machine too with the tower breads. I haven't used it since I moved but I got so I only made dough in it too. From pizza ----> whole wheat bread.

Sorry Linda, I don't have a recipe for 'Italian' bread for a bread machine abut I'm sure it would be easy to develop from your favorite recipe. I'd make the dough and cook it in the oven so I could glaze it and make a loooong loaf, though.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawchick04
Drama_Queen, I know what you mean about the tall loaves...not ideal, but that's what my bread machine makes. It's an older model. My fave thing to make with my bread machine: pizza dough.
You're right about the pizza dough. It makes great dough and it does all the work for you.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to Eliza
Just to update, my first basic white bread turned out great! I tried the French bread receipe and it was suppose to be lighter in texture but it tasted the same as the basic bread?! My next attempt is to try and make the dough - pizza as my daughter is asking for it and cinnamon buns, my fav!

Thks Drama Queen, i'll look out for breadmachine cook books

one thing is for sure, we'll be buying less of the commercial bread from now on - there's just nothing nicer than waking up to a fresh loaf of home made bread!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I googled and found that allrecipes has a whole bread machine area with recipes. They are unusual and sound super.

http://allrecipes.com/directory/7.asp
Old 08-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I pretty much make all our yeasted and quick bread products from scratch, to control the ingredients. I am successful in using all whole wheat and whole grain flours in quick breads, such as pancakes (have already posted an incredible whole grain pancake recipe on another thread), cookies, cornbreads, brownies.... I avoid white flour because it is devoid on any significiant nutrition.

All yeasted breads/doughs start out in my bread machine. I do use about 1/3 white flour in a few recipes, esp. pizza dough and dinner rolls. I have not had much luck with bread machine cookbooks, have had the best luck with the manuals that come with the bread machine. I use my bread machine about 3 to 4 times a week. We eat a high complex carbohydrate diet and whole grain breads make a significant contribution to our meals. The main bread I make I use 100% whole wheat flour and have been tossing in a generous 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds for some crunch. Makes great sandwiches and cinnamon toast.

Tags
None