"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 05-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie
I tried it with shredded sharp cheddar and scallions....tastes good but something wasn't right. It has a flat top and is very heavy, almost too doughy.
Just to let you know. It would be easier for me if you would give me one of your standard recipes. Do you usually cook white bread, then please give me the basic white bread recipe from the manufacturer, It would make it a lot easier for me. The way it is now, it is like I am in a test kitchen, but the kitchen is ??? miles away and I don't have access.

Anyway it sounds like there is a bit too much water. You might want to put an ounce less water the next time you make it. Maybe an ounce or so. The way I tell when I am developing a breadmachine recipe, is I let the dough get needed for a few minutes, about ten I guess, then I open up the machine, without stopping it, and touch the dough. If it is wet I add more flour, by tablespoon. If it is too dry I and water, by tablespoons. First of course you have to know what a dough should feel like...

Have fun and happy baking...

P.S. I just looked over you post again and realized I wasn't sure what you were saying. Was the bread very moist inside?

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #12
Head Chef

For my white bread I use this recipe:

1 C water
2 3/4 C bread flour
2 T dry milk
2 T sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 T butter
1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast

For egg bread I use this recipe:

2/3 C milk
1 large egg
3 C bread flour
2 1/2 T sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 T butter
1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast

Old 05-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #13
Head Chef

Oh, and the funny thing is, I made TWO loaves today. One was egg bread that didn't have enough water (was about 4 inches long!) and the other one had too much water!

I guess it's not my day to make bread......I say that as I have two loaves of friendship bread in the oven!
Old 05-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Oh, and the funny thing is, I made TWO loaves today. One was egg bread that didn't have enough water (was about 4 inches long!) and the other one had too much water!

I guess it's not my day to make bread......I say that as I have two loaves of friendship bread in the oven!

There are days like that...

What is friendship bread, sounds like something I'd like to make.

Thanks for the recipes. I believe I told you 1⅓ cups of water, and your basic recipe calls for 1 cup, so cut back to 1 cup. Your egg recipe also has one cup if you consider the egg which is 15 ml (a little more than ½ an ounce). It looks like I was right on, in the yeast department. This is great.

If you feel up to it and try it again, let me know how it turns out. I should also point out that if you use your basic bread recipe and add cheese it will turn out ok. The same goes with, if you do it by hand. I recommened that if ever you do it by hand, even if you start with the bread machine, assuming that it has a dough setting, you should try cubed cheese.
  1. Takle out of the machine
  2. Make a ball with the dough.
  3. flatten dough in round or rectangle.
  4. place cheese on top.
  5. Fold dough over top of itself.
  6. Make sure the seem is closed completely so nothing drips out,

That is a quick discription, as I don't know your experiance level. If you need more precise instructions, let me know.

Aad Sach Sing

- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
Old 05-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #15
Head Chef

I will try the cubed cheese, but right now it's reserved for my dogs...umm, yeah... See, he has very bad seasonal allergies and is on antihistamines and steroids. So, twice a day, both dogs get a cube of cheese, but Kenzo's cube is "spiked"!

Amish Friendship Bread...you either love it or hate it. You start with the "starter that keeps growing and growing and growing...I've got three starters in my freezer right now!

I'll start a new thread ASAP. Thankfully, I have the recipes on my computer so I can just cut and paste!

Thanks again for all your help!!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
Senior Cook

kalamata bread

any recipes out there??? would it work in a bread machine?
Old 05-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Angie,

I make a lot of bread machine bread to be used later as toast. The potato bread recipe in my bread machine's book makes the best toast. But I usually start with that recipe, and add what I think will make flavorful bread.

Pampered Chef's Italian seasonings & Asian seasonings work well with the potato bread recipe. Check my homepage if spinach or collard bread appeals to you.

Tom
Old 05-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Angie,

I make a lot of bread machine bread to be used later as toast. The potato bread recipe in my bread machine's book makes the best toast. But I usually start with that recipe, and add what I think will make flavorful bread.

Pampered Chef's Italian seasonings & Asian seasonings work well with the potato bread recipe. Check my homepage if spinach or collard bread appeals to you.

Tom

I haven't had time to check out your website completely but it looks very nice. The way you expressed the way you modify recipies is great. Follow a basic recipe for your machine and add things that you think would go along well. I would just suggest that you start with smaller amounts first and work your way up to larger amounts.
For instance, the Kalamata bread, I believe that Kalamata is a place in Greece that is famous for it's black olives, am I right? So you are looking for a black olive bread recipe that could be adapted to your bread machine. I would say, take a basic recipe from you bread machines manual and add some black olives. Now of course there are probably two options as to how to add the olives. One would be, just put the olives in the machine, in accordance with the machine instructions for adding ingredients. This will more than likely net you an olive bread with little pieces of olive in it. Tasty, more that likely, but not toothsome, well not as toothsome as chunks of whole olives.

The second way would be to make a dough to cook the oven and as you are shaping it, you flatten it, gently, first, stick the olives, (about a hand full) in the middle and shape it into a ball. If you want to make a miché, you leave it in the ball and let it rise 30 minutes. If you want to shape it into some sort of loaf, let it sit for 10 minutes before forming. After forming put on a cookie sheet or in a bread pan.

Have fun backing...

Aad Sach Sing

Old 05-15-2006, 10:39 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
I will try the cubed cheese, but right now it's reserved for my dogs...umm, yeah... See, he has very bad seasonal allergies and is on antihistamines and steroids. So, twice a day, both dogs get a cube of cheese, but Kenzo's cube is "spiked"!

Amish Friendship Bread...you either love it or hate it. You start with the "starter that keeps growing and growing and growing...I've got three starters in my freezer right now!

I'll start a new thread ASAP. Thankfully, I have the recipes on my computer so I can just cut and paste!

Thanks again for all your help!!
I think I have some starter for that in my freezer. I lost the recipe for the final bread though. I believe there is quite a bit of sugar in it, am I right? I could probably substitute stevia for some of it.

If you'd like to share you friendship bread recipe I would, like to take a look at it...

Thanks.

Tell the dogs that I wish them well...

Aad Sach Sing

Old 05-15-2006, 10:41 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Angie,

Tom

Tom, I'd love to see your potato bread recipe...

Bri

Aad Sach Sing

Tags
None