Bread Machines- Thing of the past?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been using a bread machine for at least 10 years( this is my second one).I have never had the arm strength to do the kneeding; my machine B&D
does the work on the dough cycle.I then remove it fromthe pan and shape it and bake it inthe oven.I would be lost without it.

I use my Bread Machine exclusively for the mixing of the dough. Everything I bake is set on the "Dough" setting. This completes the mixing and goes through the first rise in the machine.
This is all I use the machine for. I tried the baking cycle however I was not satisfied with the out come of the breads.
This way I can get very good breads by punching it down and forming it into loaves or baggettes, let rise again and then slice the tops and paint with water or whatever and go from there into the oven.
For me, breads have been turning out just great this way.
Here are pictures of my latest, Sourdough Bread. Turned out just sensational!
PS: If I can remember how to add the photos, I will.

Attachments

• 113250308869.jpg
    113250308869.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 113254533765.jpg
    113254533765.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 113254558597.jpg
    113254558597.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 235
I'm thinking of getting a bread machine, mainly for producing the dough, but the odd finished item when time is short. Are there things I should be looking for in a good machine - and maybe avoiding ? Any advice and tips would be most welcome. One tip I do have is if you are selling your house bake bread on viewing days - no more homely smell than fresh baked bread !

5 cents per loaf - 1 minute of labor

i buy bulk yeast from sams or a resturant supply house (2 lb packages put it in a jar with lid in refrigerator. buy 5 lb bags of flour when they go on sale at the grocery. I make a loaf daily so i buy 40 or so 5 lb bags at 69 or 79 cents per bag. Check the expiration date to make sure it is 2 or 3 years out.
I pour 1 coffey mug of cold tap water (do not pay attention to the directions water temperature does not matter). 1 tbs salt, 1/2 cup sugar, 2tbs of veg oil. I keep a duplicate coffey mug in the plastic container of flour ( I like a 3 gallon container with lid.) dip the mug and scrape the top with a chopstick)
3 cups of flour. 1 heaping tsp of yeast.
Put the container in the machine turn on for a 2 lb loaf.
My Bread Station is on the end of the counter, takes less than one minute to add ingredients and start the machine.
Invest one minute, 5 cents and get a fresh perfict 2 lb loaf of fresh bread.
The real no brainer. Ive made many hundreds of loaf over the years.

I have a recipe for bread machine dog treats.My 5 dogs love them. If anyone that has a bread machine is intrested let me know.

Bob

I use my bread machine several times a week, for 10 years now. I mostly make whole wheat bread in loaves, completing the whole cycle in the machine. And I use the dough cycle for rolls and pizza crusts. I currently have a Zojirushi and am pleased with it. Just consider what you want to use it for and look for those features in a machine. I am very particular about my ingredients and make almost all foods we eat from scratch from home produced foods or organically produced store bought ingredients. I would not be without a bread machine, or my kitchen aide stand mixer or slow cooker or dish washer!!! Isn't electricity wonderful?

Bobingreen please post the recipie for the dog treats ????? My dog would love you for it !!!

Summergirl

Bethzaring I also have the zojirushi machine just bought it in January.I was thinking my panasonic was due too die out but that is still going strong so now I use both machines.Have you tried the jams in your zojirushi ?? I made the strawberry jam came out excellent.

Summergirl

Hi Summergirl, No I have not made jam in my bread machine, I usually can my jam.I was thinking about the original post, that Walmart only offered one brand of machine. I think this has more to do with their purchasing philosophy rather than the decline in interest of bread machines. A few years ago I was shocked to discover Walmart only carried one brand of Christmas tree lights. They must do that to squeeze the lowest possible price out of the supplier.......only one reason I no longer shop at Walmart, the lack of brands offered

Sourdough success.

I can't tell you all how good the sourdough bread(s) came out. Just very good. I made some large loaves and also some long baggettes. They were well received by my "test" friends!
I'm going to do it again and start over with new starter and all.

However, I am thinking of getting a mixer because I would like to make more than several loaves at a time. (A larger capacity.)

I have a bread machine that I use on a semi-regular basis (about once a month). They aren't as popular as they used to be. I thik there are alot of bread machines out there collecting dust.

Since I only use my bread machine to make the dough I am thinking of getting a mixer. But not right now because they are so expensive.
And I want to do some research to find the right one which will also do pasta dough and other things.

pasta dough and KA mixers

Pete said:
Since I only use my bread machine to make the dough I am thinking of getting a mixer. But not right now because they are so expensive.
And I want to do some research to find the right one which will also do pasta dough and other things.

The basic egg pasta dough recipe I use (learned from DC about 1-1/2 yrs ago and works great!) is 1 large egg to 4 oz flour *by weight* (about 2/3 - 3/4 cup). If you make a pound or 2 of dough at a time, this makes a *very* firm dough which even strains the motor of my Kitchen Aid K5. (I like to make a couple pounds of pasta dough at a clip and then freeze it in portions so I can have fresh pasta whenever I want).

There are pasta attachments for a KA but if you go this route, don't go for the type that extrudes the dough through a plate with holes. Reports (here on DC) say those don't work well. The other pasta attachment type is the same basic design principle as a hand cranked model. It doesn't mix the dough but it rolls and cuts the dough. (I use a hand cranked pasta machine to roll and cut the dough.)

If you already own one, I've seen cooks on TV use a Cuisinart to make smaller batches of fresh pasta dough.

Bread machines

Thanks for the info. I have to gather much more before going for a mixer. I'll have to see what machines are a little stronger in mixing the dough(s) because I don't want a wimpy one that can't do the job.
My friend has a mixer, (I forgot what brand) but just a regular mixer and it does pretty well I guess. He doesn't complain about it. But he has also a hand pasta maker, which rolls out the thickness you want and also cuts it too. He clamps it on the side of his kitchen counter and makes fresh pastas. And you all know how good fresh pastas are in dishes! Awesome!
So I am looking at pasta machines too.
Thanks for your help.

YorkieMominFL said:
I have a Welbilt that I purchased in '94 that I did not use for years until the past few months, but I have started making bread again and it's really getting a workout. I never did use it for baking, shaping, etc. I just use the manual setting and do the rest by hand, but it is great for that first kneading! See my post entitled:"Photos of my Italian bread, please look!".

Here is the link: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14668

I have been making Italian, Oatmeal, some rolls, hotdog and humburg buns, etc. I actually love my machine and if it goes out I will get another!!!

Pamela:chef:

Pamela your bread looks wonderfuL.........yours too Pete! I have a stand up mixer but I haven't yet used it to try and make bread. I also have a bread machine and I do love making bread in it. The only thing I don't like about it is the shape of the bread that comes out of it. I think I'll try what you guys have done and let the machine do the kneeding and the first rise and do the rest by hand. I've tried several time to make fresh bread by hand but no luck. Anyway, you guys have inspired me and as soon as this kitchen is done I'll pull out my equipment and start experimenting.
Oh.....for when I do....does anyone have a TNT recipe for Sun-Dried Tomato Italian Bread?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom