"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 10-28-2005, 05:03 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
To be honest, I didn't learn much about the machine before I chucked it.
(chuckling) htc, your rep as a gadget freak just diminished a little!

To me, it's just one more thing that needs to be plugged in, so I'm doing without.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #12
Head Chef

Mud, this is before I came down with the illness. I've had this condition for only about a year or so. It got really bad when I woke up one night (4am) and watched an infomercial for the Cuisinart Pannini Grill. *sigh* Good times...Good times. I haven't looked back since!

Old 10-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I think we all need to chip in and get you an electric cake decorator for Christmas.

Whaddya think?
Old 10-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #14
Head Chef

WHAT??!!!**looking around** I've never heard of an electric cake decorator...r u pulling my leg??? Am I going to open up the present and find DH and son in the box???

BTW, this weekend, I'm going to try out my new wilton cake border thingy. It makes different patters on the cake. *yippee*
Old 10-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I think Goodweed, with his engineering ability, should build you one. Have fun with your new thingy, and take pictures, pls!
Old 10-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Does anyone who has a stand mixer w/ dough hook prefer to prepare the dough w/ the bread machine. What is the pros/cons to each...
I have a stand mixer w/ dough hook in addition to my, now, two bread machines.

I bought a new machine (I am the thread starter) to replace the one that quit, and immediately called it in to action to knead the evening's pizza dough. Detail can follow if anyone cares, but I did not care for it's operation. I was going to live with it, but when it did not punch the dough down before signalling "all done", I fixed my old bread machine (I am the 'handy' type'). The old machine has just now finished kneading tonight's dinner rolls.

Back to your original question - I enjoy bread making. Although I have not retired the mixer-with-bread-hooks, it requires more attention than the bread machine for kneading dough. The sides of the bowl need to be scraped down more often than the bread machine's smaller mixing platform. But if you knead more dough than the bread machine can handle , it does an excellent job.

As far as baking the bread, the machine also does a fine job. The problem is that you are relegated to bread that looks like it came out of a machine.

I have heard many cooks-better-than-me swear by their machines for mixing the dough. After the machine is done, they then work their magic with the results.

People my age may remember Eddie Albert in the TV show Green Acres waxing poetic about "planting the seeds in the fertile Earth", and watching them grow. Bread making with dough hooks is a lot like that. Mixing with dough hooks makes me feel like "Oliver". Using the machine gets a good result with less attention. ;-)

Tom
Old 10-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #17
Senior Cook

You know I don't think there is much difference in that they both accept ingredience and the hook stirs and mixes it. The bread machine and the regular mixer both do this. I don't think there is anything difference in them in this regard.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Bread machine dough cycles are for those who prefer toaster-like functioning. A stand mixer allows more flexibility in ... well, everything.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:40 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

I still see them in electronics shops here, but they are not being advertised much any more.

My mother had one for a couple of years and ended up selling it. We didn't like the bread - it had an odd texture and only tasted good while warm. But we did use it for kneading the dough every time we made homemade bread or pizza.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I have 2 and LOVE them both.You can't beat the smell of homade bread .

Summergirl

Tags
None