"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Old 10-24-2005, 05:10 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Bread Machines- Thing of the past?

My Westbend bread machine wore out after 11 years of regular use, and I was surprised that both Walmart & Target only offered one choice as a possible replacement.

Are bread machines becoming a thing of the past?

Curious fellow
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:26 AM   #2
Senior Cook
I think they aren't as popular any more. I don't own one but all the people I know that have them now dont use them very regularly. Cant say I know of anyone who has used a bread machine regularly for 11 years! Good product endorsement I'd say since most appliances these days aren't made to last! (homemade bread always tastes nicer though).

Little Miss J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:57 AM   #3
Executive Chef
I agree; personally, if I'm near a real artisinal bakery (and whole foods qualifies as does wegmans) I will buy fresh from them. If not...I get out my recipes and bulk grains and get to work. It is great on a fall weekend to bake at home...and if you got kids, it's a great family activity.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
I have a Welbilt that I purchased in '94 that I did not use for years until the past few months, but I have started making bread again and it's really getting a workout. I never did use it for baking, shaping, etc. I just use the manual setting and do the rest by hand, but it is great for that first kneading! See my post entitled:"Photos of my Italian bread, please look!".

Here is the link: Photos of my Italian bread--please look!

I have been making Italian, Oatmeal, some rolls, hotdog and humburg buns, etc. I actually love my machine and if it goes out I will get another!!!

YorkieMominFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:45 PM   #5
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Originally Posted by Tomw
Are bread machines becoming a thing of the past?

Oh, I hope not! I don't use mine on a real regular basis but I use it enough that I would miss it if I didn't have it anymore. Especially at this time of year.
I'm not one who finds it therapeutic to knead dough for a long period of time.
I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
Head Chef
I had a bread machine once and tried making banana bread with it. It was such a disaster that after that first try I just gave away the machine. The bread was burnt on the outside and mushy on the inside. I don't know if it was the machine or the recipe.

I have recently started baking bread though with my kitchen aid stand mixer. I love it. I dont' have to do much work. just toss in the ingredients and mix.
htc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
I know several people that use their bread machines regularly. I suppose it was a fad but some people have become very dedicated to tthem. The local supermarket carrys a line of mixes just for bread machines.

Me, I use my KitchenAid Professional 5+ or my KA Professional 6 to make bread every weekend. Feels better for me when I know I worked a little at it ;-)
Where you are is where you belong, it is where you are going that you can change
SpiceUmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I woudn't say that I've noticed a large decline in bread machine usage among my friends and family members who enjoy baking.

I really miss having a bread machine! I try to eat a minimal amount of preservatives, addictives, etc and having a bread machine was a great way to know what exactly was going into my bread. It was so handy, and I really hope to get another one in the future (sold mine at my pre-moving garage sale before coming to Ireland, just couldn't fit it in my carry-on bag ).

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
Senior Cook
I have had my Oster 2-lb bread and dough maker for about 10 years now and just love it! I started to do the entire process in it. Clear to the finished baked loaves, however, when I discovered the dough making setting I never returned to letting the machine bake the bread. I make it better from the dough on out!
I just use the machine to kneed the dough and let it go through the first rise. The dough is then plopped on my board and I punch it down. Then I cut into whatever I want. Sometimes 6 hoggie type rolls or three nice French or Italian baggettes. I like baggettes best.
Then after shapping I let rise, then slice and brush tops (if I want) and place into the oven at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes depending on the tapped bottom routine and the color on the tops.
I can't tell you how happy I am with the machine. Sometimes I make two or three batches and give them out to my neighbors who really enjoy fresh baked breads, and think I am a great baker!
I am still trying different recipes to see where I have to go to make really good Italian or French (with nice crust).
I hope you get another machine at least to mix the dough. If this one goes out I think I will purchase a standard dough mixer type machine, because I don't need the oven part. And I would like to make larger amounts. But for now this will have to do because those others cost a great deal of money.
pckouris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #10
Head Chef
Does anyone who has a stand mixer w/ dough hook prefer to prepare the dough w/ the bread machine. What is the pros/cons to each. When I had my bread machine, I didn't even think to use it just to prepare the dough. To be honest, I didn't learn much about the machine before I chucked it.

htc is offline   Reply With Quote